Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got tired of dealing with wires top and bottom of the iPod, and came up with the idea of mounting the iPod's dock in the ashtray. The dock for the iPod has a firewire connection for data and power, and a line out port for hookups to stereos, and acts as a stand for the iPod. The dock is just a little wider than the ashtray:

I used this as a excuse to buy a dremel kit, and cut out the bottom front of the ashtray:

Then I ground down the sides of the dock's cover so it would fit in the ashtray, and also trimmed the metal flange on the ashtray to fit the back of the ipod. After painting the dock (top and bottom) I used double sticky tape to attach it to the bottom.

Here's what it looks like installed. So far, it's working fine, but I'll likely install a little bolster for it just above the ashtray (the iPod sits about 1/4" from the front of the console, and it might tipple sideways in a tight fast corner):

If you're interested in more detail, there's a full writeup with more pics.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I know its too late for that ashtray, and I do like the work - but wouldn't there be enough space to fit it laying on its back with the port in the rear of the ashtray, so you wouldn't see it at all?

I was thinking about doing this for a deck that has full iPod connectivity - if you couldn't control it from the deck of course this would be a useless idea :)

Nice job though, I do like it.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JustAnotherRex said:
I know its too late for that ashtray, and I do like the work - but wouldn't there be enough space to fit it laying on its back with the port in the rear of the ashtray, so you wouldn't see it at all?

I was thinking about doing this for a deck that has full iPod connectivity - if you couldn't control it from the deck of course this would be a useless idea :)

Nice job though, I do like it.
Thanks.

Yes, that would work if you had such a deck, but you'd need to modify the connnector a bit--the dock itself wouldn't fit, and the cable connections lock. Be a nice "security by obscurity" option.

But for me, I think even if I did have such a deck, I'd put it elsewhere anyway (since if you like controlling the pod from the head, you don't need the pod to be in that prime realestate of the console at all). Like maybe fabbing a slide in bay in the dash behind the wheel, or at the back of the e-brake.

I looked at the "ipod compatible" heads, but I was underwhelmed given my budge, so I didn't bother with it. The wheel is a really easy system to navigate through the menu, and with close to 4K songs, being able to navigate quickly is pretty key (eyes on the road being a good thing). One example was a head that treated a playlist like a track on a disc--so you weren't really controlling the ipod, but rather choosing a playlist. I'm too capricious for playlists. The controls were better in the higher end heads, but I wasn't willing for fork over the bucks to get there.

For me, this is working out pretty nicely--I'm old enough that I'm pretty farsighted, and for intra-artist navigation, the pod stays in the tray. If I need to do something more complicated, I just grab it out of the tray, make the choices, and then put it back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.