Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm such a noob when it comes to this stuff, so, I'm sure I could google my questions, but just end up leaving me even more lost...Anyway, here we go:

I just got my Ranger last week, and already I find myself wanting to upgrade the system. Its better than my S10's, but still decent at best. I want quality, not quantity.

Right now it has the stock Ford tape deck, 2 (I believe, I haven't removed the door panels) 5X7/6X8"s in the doors... probably Ford OEM, and 2 6X9 Infinitis in the rear. The infinitis are just stuck to the back of the box by the magnets, since stock is 5X7/6X8. The cones are also torn away from the outside frame from age.

To get a speaker in that size is kinda difficult, so I'm thinking of custom building a box for 6X9s in each corner behind the seats.

For the fronts, I can use 5.25"s, which will obviously limit my bass output, but should provide some decent highs. This also opens up my possibilities.

I'm kind of thinking of mounting a sub behind the seat. I have very limited room, so I'm really looking at 8"s, possibly 10"s.

Amps: I have no clue about. I think I would only need about 100W. With 1 sub, are two channels needed? What brands are reliable? I've always thought MTX made quality equipment, at a decent price, is this true?

Subs: I assume a dual voice coil would be a better sub. Is this based on power, or sound quality? Does it allow the sub to hit faster? Again, what brands are recommended?

Boxes: What effect on the sound quality does a ported box have? I know they take up more space, so, is the extra space used worth it? I plan on building my own box. Is there a recommended thickness for the MDF? I would assume 1/2"? What are the best options for sealing the joints in the panels: something like a gorlilla glue to assemble the box, or should I use a separate caulk?

Capacitor: I know I shouldn't need one, but what is the point of having one? I know they store an electrical charge, and release it when power drops off. Would it be for compensating for voltage drops from the alternator?

Is there anything else I should know before really planning this system? Can I get a nice full sound without a sub?

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm definately not an expert but allow me to give my opinion. After doing some research your stock speaker size for front and back is 6x8. I'm personally not a fan of non-round speakers. 5.25 will also work with your vehicle front and back. Personally this is the route I would go.

If you want the best quality your best option would be to purchase kick panels and then install a 5.25 inch component set. But you are looking at $100-150 for kick panels then another $150-200 for the components. Going with 5.25's in the front and back would only cost about a $100-150.

With either setup I would recommend a sub due to the small speaker size in the doors and rear. There are plenty of box options available for your vehicle so I wouldn't necessarily recommend custom building one. When it comes to a sub box you have two options. You can purchase a box that is custom to your vehicle or you could just buy a truck box.

A custom fit enclosure will run about $300 or with a sub installed $350 as seen here MTX Sub.

The last thing to consider other than wiring at stuff is the amp. You have the option to run the door and rear speaker from the head unit if you prefer. Or you could purchase a four channel amp if you want better sound. But then you will still need an amp for the sub. To save money I would just run the speakers of the head unit and purchase a mono or two channel amp for the sub. I think a singe sub will be fine in a small cabin as in the Ford Ranger...but that is my opinion.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, I'm definitely planning on running the regular speakers off the head unit. The amp would strictly power a single 8 or 10

Different sources have said 5X7s, others say 6X8, but 5.25s would fit also.

A lot of the boxes out there look cheap to me. Besides, I have a piece of MDF I can snag from school, lol. So, the box would cost me carpet :p Besides, I love to build things myself, lol.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
There are several speakers in a decent price range that will mount fairly shallow.

I have 17cm speakers in my crx in the front, with original covers and I can roll the window down with room to spare.

You 110% sure want to run the fronts off an amp if you're getting a subwoofer. I'll guarantee you it'll drown them out otherwise.
The rears are less important. They're just there to fill in the space.

Remember, your ears face to the front. Rig up the speakers accordingly. Only exception is your sub. You can stuff those anywhere you'd like. an 8" woofer with enough volume will do fine in most cases. You could also get shallow woofers. I have a 10" JL-audio woofer in the back with an enclosed box, and I can still put my tie-bar and groceries back there too besides the tools.
Go figure.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how are phoenix gold subs? (octane R10s) I've only been able to find 2 reviews, although both were good

·
Registered
416 Posts
Never heard the Phoenix Gold subs but I use to own an old school Phoenix Gold amp before it got stolen and it was nice.

·
Registered
529 Posts
rex2nr said:
how are phoenix gold subs? (octane R10s) I've only been able to find 2 reviews, although both were good
i have PG's Ti10's and they sounds really good. just as loud as my old audiobahns but VERY clean.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i've been running PG stuff for a while and, while the octane R line is at the lower end of their spectrum, i don't doubt that it's a quality product. what is your budget for this project, btw? that'll help ppl give you more accurate suggestions and such.

peace

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, I kinda put this on hold for a bit, and was really looking into what I would need to spend to only do the project once. Right now my budget is more along the lines of walmart products, though with some searching I've found some decent stuff cheaper.

Last week I got so sick of the speakers that were in there, I stole the speakers from my rex 6-7yr old Polk Ex602's... didn't quite fit, but they are in there. They rattle a bit, but what do you expect from speakers held in with only 2 screws? So, for now, I'm "happy" though I still do want to look into a small sub.

I guess I'm trying to get a feel for how much I'd need to spend for good stuff, and then see where to go from there.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Ive heard really good stuff about Crossfire. Thats what im planning on putting in my Crx. A good system is going to cost about 5 to 6 hundard dollars and thats if you do all the work yourself. If you let someone else do it, its going to run you around a 1000. The system that im looking in to is going to cost me a little over 3 grand, but that for everything done. I recommened getting it done so if something go's wrong, its covered by them and not you. Well theres my 2 cents.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts