Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at buying a used shifter assembly for my auto-manual conversion I'll be doing along with a B-swap soon. I'm thinking though, that I might be able to get away with just buying the Hasport linkages and a Skunk2 short shifter. I already have Energy shift bushings too, they came with my master set.

So will that work, or do I need some little parts from a stock linkage/shifter assembly?

·
Registered
276 Posts
That should be it. I may be wrong on this, but going off the setup on my B-series, as long as you swap the linkage, torque tube, and bushings, you should be good.

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I know about the pedal assembly. I just wasn't sure if the aftermarket linkage, shifter and bushings would be everything else I needed.

I also realize that I should have started with the right car in the first place, but I've got too much invested in this one by now.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
jfrolang said:
I also realize that I should have started with the right car in the first place, but I've got too much invested in this one by now.
I think you're wrong, it's not that much of a swap to do. Jmart's car was originally an auto 89 DX, and now it's a "90-91 Si 5-speed" without a sunroof, and it's well done.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Right car in the first place, huh? Well mister....

j/k

converting from auto to manual really isn't difficult at all.

1 new transmission
1 new rear torque mount
1 hole drilled into the firewall with a stepped bit
1 new-to-you pedal assembly bolted in
4 6mm holes drilled for the linkage mount
1 bolt in cover plate for where the auto cable came through
a few wires spliced (i don't know about these as I gutted the car and used Si wiring)

Its an afternoon job i think.

Also, changing the pedal assy isn't a big deal. Just drop the steering column (4 12mm bolts if memory serves), pull out the pin and unhook the throttle cable from the accelerator pedal, then unbolt the whole assembly from the firewall (6 12mm bolts if memory serves). Drill the clutch cable hole and reverse these to reinstall. bam! you're done with the pedals. One hour job.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Jmart works faster than anyone else on crx community. One time I went to boston in the pouring rain, and he had swapped all his brakes, in the rain, in a few hours. He also one time drained a bottle of gin using only 3 people in about 10 minutes, where normally it would have taken 5 people and 30 minutes.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
when i pulled the dash in my 88 dx auto.... i was remarking on how darn difficult it would be to get to the petal bolts with the dash still in the car.... .. never had to or tried to remove them with the dash in the car... . .but it did not look fun from what I had seen. . .

Chris

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
jmart said:
[...]
Last I checked, all the required firewall holes are already present. What are the additional two mount holes for? I only recall drilling two for the bushing.

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
toxiclows said:
when i pulled the dash in my 88 dx auto.... i was remarking on how darn difficult it would be to get to the petal bolts with the dash still in the car.... .. never had to or tried to remove them with the dash in the car... . .but it did not look fun from what I had seen. . .

Chris
You can reach all of them with two six-inch extensions and a swivel, I've already made sure of that. I certainly wouldn't want to pull the dash just to get to those nuts.

bobski said:
jmart said:
[...]
Last I checked, all the required firewall holes are already present. What are the additional two mount holes for? I only recall drilling two for the bushing
I'm gonna agree with Bob here, the firewall grommet for the clutch cable is already in place, and the linkage only requires two bolts. I don't know why you drilled 3 more times than you had to, unless it was for weight reduction. :lol:

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
My 89 Dx did not have a hole for the clutch cable in the firewall. Maybe it depends on what year, like 88-89 versus 90-91 or something. I must have just remembered incorrectly about the 4 holes for the shoft linkage, you are right, just two!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.