Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taken from my B17 build thread, thought this would be good to share with everyone doing some B series builds...

I did some research into the "Type-R oil pump" myth, and discovered that the only difference between a "normal" B series VTEC pump and an "R" one is a washer that takes some of the tension off the bypass spring. Also, all the inner rotors are the same, so instead of spending over a hundred on a new oil pump, I'm gonna rebuild this one for about 30 bucks!

This is your oil pump, it looks almost the same for a D series. You need an impact driver to get the screws out, but once you bust them loose they come out very easily:

So get them loose and remove the cover plate:

Then remove the inner and outer rotor (replace with new later):

This plug holds in a spring and plunger that makes up the bypass valve. Once pressure gets to a certain point, it bleeds off excess oil by pushing the plunger back down the shaft. The washer lets the spring sit a little further back and thus have less preload, the ITR and supposedly all 98+ B VTEC oil pumps don't have this washer.

Plug on the left here, 10mm allen:

here you can clearly see the plug, washer, and the installed plunger:

here's what it looks like when you remove it:

The other plug there in the bottom of the picture is the other one in the pump, I just removed it for cleaning (you should too). Be careful when unscrewing the bypass spring plug, it's under tension.

Here are the part numbers you need for a rebuild:

rotors: 15131-PR3-004 and 15132-PR3-004
spring: 15232-PG6-000

case screws:
markolson said:
Neither Honda nor Acura list a replacement part number for the 6 phillips screws that hold the flat plate on the back of the oil pump. We have a couple that are chewed up on the B16A oil pump we're using in our new build, so I worked with the local Acura parts guy to find the correct screws.

The part number is 93600-060160A: Screw Flat 6x16.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
No one could answer that question for me with my b20 vtec build so I just went and bought it new. Clearly there was a difference with the water pump compared to the "stock" one on the b20. The Type - R one had a larger gear, the oil pump looked the same as you demonstrated.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
So basicly, 98+ Bseries Vtec oil pumps are pre-shimmed? Alot of turbod16 guys have been shimming their oil pumps for higher oil pressure.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Angry said:
So basicly, 98+ Bseries Vtec oil pumps are pre-shimmed? Alot of turbod16 guys have been shimming their oil pumps for higher oil pressure.
You got it kinda right but not quite...

Shimming the spring would be putting something between the spring and the plug to preload it more. The washer on the non-R pumps serves to make the installed position of the plug further away from the end of the tunnel, reducing preload on the relief spring. Just look at it and think about it for a second, it'll make sense. Shimming pumps has been around for a LONG time, I just wanted to bring up some info I found recently so everyone can use it, and I just so happened to be taking my oil pump apart too.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Ah ok, Gotcha... I cant really see the pics. This computer , as usual, in safe mode. Everything is 16 colors! :mad:

·
Registered
12 Posts
downest said:
Taken from my B17 build thread, thought this would be good to share with everyone doing some B series builds...

I did some research into the "Type-R oil pump" myth, and discovered that the only difference between a "normal" B series VTEC pump and an "R" one is a washer that takes some of the tension off the bypass spring. Also, all the inner rotors are the same, so instead of spending over a hundred on a new oil pump, I'm gonna rebuild this one for about 30 bucks!
That's a very interesting info you have there. Well, this is quite helpful especially to newbies like me. My friend is planning to bought a Type-R oil pump for his car because he thinks that it is much better than normal. But having reading this, it seems not much of a difference. I'm gonna tell this to my friend so would have a guide first before he buy one. Thanks for sharing this reliable pic and info. :)b

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.