Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what voltage B16 injectors should read? I'm having a fuel issue and have narrowed it down to either the wiring at the injectors or the injectors themselves. I am getting a constant 12volts (or right around there within a .** of 12). Does this sound right? I have the manual for the CRX at the garage but didn't have a chance to check it out before I left and also didn't know if the OBD1 B16 injectors have a different output.
I also don't know if that reading should change as I'm cranking the engine because doesn't the injector spray in very fast bursts? It would seem like the reading should go up and down with those bursts?

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its me DUB said:
Anyone have any recommendations for cleaning fuel injectors?? I was thinking of sitting them in some fuel injector cleaner or sea foam overnight.
Well, Dub, I'm glad you asked...

Injector Cleaning

The least expensive method I use for cleaning injectors is to go to your local drug store and pick up a dental ultrasonic cleaner under $30.00 or borrow moms jewellery ultrasonic cleaner, she will still love you. Go to Chevron and purchase a bottle of Techrolene (SP). Go by the grocery store and purchase a can of tuna, lettuce, jar of mayo and some cheap white Wonder bread. Fill the ultrasonic cleaner with the solvent to a level that will only submerge the tips of the injectors, up to the normal position of the sealing O-ring. Take a break, toast up the bread and make up a tuna sandwich. Use the cleaned out tuna can and punch four holes in the bottom to stand your injectors in. Place the can holding the injectors in the bottom of the ultrasonic cleaner; do not submerge the electrical connections. Turn the cleaner on; you can leave the injectors soaking 10 to 15 min, to soften stubborn deposits before power cycling. Pulse, cycle the injectors by connecting the injectors electrical connection to a 12-volt DC power source, less than 2 amps or even a small 9-volt transistor radio battery and cycle the power on and off. Like Ive stated it is very important to not let the current run through the injector solenoid coil more than a short period, should be cycled on no more than a second, use an inline switch or you will over heat the coil and ruin the injector. Not required but you electrical and pluming guys can use a switching IC for cycling and a fuel pump to flow cleaner through the injectors. Cleaning time 5-8 min. If you need more details let me know!

You will ruin the injector if you just hook a power supply to the injector. What you need to do is have some means of turning the power on and off going to the injector to simulating the conditions it sees while in the car. The wire coil inside the injector can only withstand being powered up for short time periods, in the car the ECU pulses the current being sent to the injectors.
Sounds like a pain in the ass, but I'm thinking that could the fix. If anyone has any other recommendations other than sending them out and paying $15-20 and injector, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Did you ever see how they do it at NAPA. They charge me about 50 and its a machine that fires the injector and forces cleaner through it. At the end you measure the output of the injectors to make sure they are even.
I'd say its worth it.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
the voltage at the injectors should stay relatively constant at 12ish volts.

Set your DMM to ohmeter mode and test across thine injector itself. it should read 10-12 ohm. if it rears like 2-3 ohm they are peak.hold injectors and you need to reinstall your injector resistor box.

as for cleaning, ive always just send injectors to RC engineering for that.

[email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.