Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if there is going to be enough room on my 91 hf for it too fit between the motor and the firewall? Also does any1 else even have this, i havent seen many JRSC crxs, but i would like to know setup and whp and tq. I no i no its supercharged but i dont wanna waste money on a turbo when i can buy a used JRSC for 900 and spend another 2 to 300 on new parts to get it working.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
jfrolang said:
I don't know power specifics but I know he ran in the 12's with it.
Errr... loooooow 13's ;)

[edit]And that was WITH the 10lb pulley by the way, not the 5-6psi pulley it comes with, so with that one it'd be even slower[/edit]

And yea, it fits fine. the bigger concern is fitting it at the frame rail near the pulleys and stuff. Also, making sure it clears your brake master cylinder. It definitely is a tight fit though, but more than doable in a driveway with no air tools (i did that not too long ago).

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How did you remeber that i dont have a garage or air tools? or were you just saying in general if i have to i can modify the master cylinder and i was going to go 3.8 pulley with hondata and 450cc so i mean i will get getting 9-10 psi and what not i still need to learn some more. And i member reading somewhere that your not suppose to have bends in the intake cause its harder on the blower so your suppose to use a short ram. His would of been fine if he reloctaed the battery. plus once i get this up and going im gonna do a 30 hp shot.

Keep me updated on his setup and more setups plz i really think this is the way i should go, EZ but about the same price (used JRSC)

·
Registered
257 Posts
actaully what I think I said was that it was more that capable of hitting 12's...which it was..and I would have had I not got rid of it and went turbo.
Also you can get teh B20 crank pulley to up the boost as well. although I wouldnt go past 10lbs without some type of inter/after cooler. AFter that boost lvl you will reach the limits of the blowers thermal efficientcy and be blowing alot of hot air.

anwyay..let me know if you have any questions about that.

peace

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
jfish360 said:
Keep me updated on his setup and more setups plz i really think this is the way i should go, EZ but about the same price (used JRSC)
SURE, i'll keep you updated on it :p

He finally got smart, and did what he should have done in the FIRST place, and went turbo :lol:

Yea, i know, that isn't what you were wanting to hear... but here is his engine bay as of now:

By the way, as for the intake pipe, because of the superchargers tendancy to deliver a LOT of hot air to the motor, regardless of who said that about the short ram intake, i'd want the car pulling its air from a cold source, which would mean a long intake tube. If it is pulling it from the engine bay, it is already starting out hot as hell, and it'll only get hotter. Pulling from a cool source will keep the temps down a tad more, and let it run a tad bit safer in the process 8)

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOW OMG TuRBO... dude i dont wanna hear that i no that i wanna go turbo, but for right now i wanna start out sc so i get the hang of things, plus i mean my crx is going to become my daily so i dont wanna have to worry about things breaking even more. But i was shooting for 300 whp with a turbo and you can get close to that with a sc and you have at any time so yah 250 hp turbo vs 250 hp SC = SC wins.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
jfish360 said:
But i was shooting for 300 whp with a turbo and you can get close to that with a sc and you have at any time so yah 250 hp turbo vs 250 hp SC = SC wins.
Not really, but ok... 8)

For real though, i understand your reasoning behind wanting the SC to "get a hang of it".... but honestly, if you do things right, and take your time, there won't be any reliability issues with the turbo that you won't also have with the sc. Just be patient, and keep saving... you'll be happier in the end as long as you follow a GOOD plan, and don't buy cheap trash components :D

Oh, and one more fun fact... at 10psi on the sc, i think JB's car was making only around 220-240 or something like that... NOWHERE near 300... to get to 300 would require a LOT LOT LOT LOT of $$ to get the setup capable of it (larger compressor with custom welding and machining to make it fit and LHT Intercooler at least).

Anyway, at pretty much the SAME hp levels and boost levels, the turbo is/was faster than the sc, and JB is happier with turbo than he was with the sc. Also, if he ever wants to upgrade and go faster, it is cheaper and easier for him to do so with turbo... because you'll enjoy the sc for a little while until you realize that it is still MAYBE a mid-13 second car with nowhere near 300whp, and you'll want to go faster, and you won't be able to without seriously risking the motor by overdriving the sc too much, and running it that souped-up without an intercooler...

So far, i think the only thing he misses about the sc was the sound it made while sitting on the 2-step launch control... hahaha! :lol: Man, that sound was wicked.. :twisted:

................. have fun with the sc though! 8)

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
i would only SC my car if i could score one for real cheap....at normal prices i jsut dont see the allure.

now, the one supercharger setup i did like i put on a 01 Maxima..It was much easier then turboing because of the V6 and this was a turbo on a stick style supercharger...intercooled baby

but yeah, it will fit fine.

[email protected]

·
Registered
257 Posts
10lbs on a stock B16 SC netted me 215 hp. fact
10lbs on a stock B16 turbo netted me 250 hp. fact. and turbo has got me into the 12's
Also...it is a very relieble car. with 220k miles.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Turbo setup can be done for cheaper. To keep it reliable, you need a good tune. That can be had for free!

Like everyone else has said, its easier to work on, cheaper to upgrade, easier to make quick power (boost controller ftw!). More potential in the end.

My buddy just turbo'd his civic for $300, using junkyard parts. He has a welder in his garage, so that helped, haha.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
YA i know i wanna turbo it but ill do that after i have fun with this supercharger and heck ill just swap it out and ill already have hondata and injectors :)

·
Registered
913 Posts
daveb91 said:
baker_jeff said:
you need a good tune. That can be had for free!
Where? I will take a good free tune please!! :)
DIY! Do lots of research, then have at'r. Won't be a GREAT tune, but I did a damn good job on mine I think (based solely on the fact that all my pistons and rods are intact :wink: ).

Chip your ECU, buy a chip burner, pick a program (Crome, Turboedit, BRE, etc), create your basemap, plug in Wideband, and tune.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Jonny_Black said:
10lbs on a stock B16 SC netted me 215 hp. fact
10lbs on a stock B16 turbo netted me 250 hp. fact. and turbo has got me into the 12's
Also...it is a very relieble car. with 220k miles.
Really thats crazy my stock engine made 221whp, and ran 12.9, and I suck at driving and was spinning bad off the line, on street tires? Is a supercharger that much slower than NA power?

Anyway to contribute to the thread. My friend had a B16A with a stock JRSC, and it wasn't that impressive. I guess with 10lbs. though that might be a little fun. Supercharged cars are allot of fun though. My good friend has a 550whp '03 Cobra with just a blower upgrade, and some other bolt-ons. Lots of power, but not my kind of car.

I think If you wanna stay supercgharged a sweet setup would be run the B for now, then buy a B20 block, and have it sleaved and built, good pistons, rods, oil pump, and then transfer the head, and supercharger over, and get a 15lbs. pulley setup, and send the blower out to get reworked, or get a bigger blower. A 300HP supercharged B series CRX would be a pretty sweet setup. You should talk to STREETWERKZ on H-T he is doing a GSR JRSC right now, and has done D16 w/ JRSC for a long time. I woud think you would be able to punk on quite a few people with that setup, plus it would sound really cool. Like a real big R/C car!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WOW look what i found on the JRSC thread on honda-tech im on page 30 ish on it but look who i found on there with there lil SOHC set up

daveb91

In my 91 crx Si running the d16a6
450cc dsm inj
Z6 crank pulley
ECU tuned with Turboedit
Junked the crappy JR FMU
I like it alot the bottom end power is great and out running b series cars is even better.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
91 CRX Si http://www.cardomain.com/ride/560256
D16A6 JRSC
Turboedit ECU

·
Registered
10,926 Posts
jfish360 said:
WOW look what i found on the JRSC thread on honda-tech im on page 30 ish on it but look who i found on there with there lil SOHC set up

daveb91

In my 91 crx Si running the d16a6
450cc dsm inj
Z6 crank pulley
ECU tuned with Turboedit
Junked the crappy JR FMU
I like it alot the bottom end power is great and out running b series cars is even better.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
91 CRX Si http://www.cardomain.com/ride/560256
D16A6 JRSC
Turboedit ECU
Hehehe so I guess I have some experience with the JRSC. And tuning so thanks baker for giving me the info I already know! :lol:

I thought maybe you knew someone who would tune for free :lol:

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Which set up get more torque SC or Turbo?

ok now with 250 sc horsepower is that going to be better then your 250 turbo horsepower?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts