Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would i feel a significant power loss if i had a side mounted exhaust with the 2 90 degree bends? also my header is a little pinched from scrapping over bumps. would i feel that much of a loss of power. it feels like it is being restricted. i got beat by an ls integra today. were the 0bd0 b16's weaker than the newer models? or is my motor jus ****? also vtec feels weak and my buddies have said the same thing ive tested it and it does work but its weak. any ideas. thanks

·
Administrator
16,557 Posts
Having a side exit exhaust won't necessarily hurt, but you should definitely go with mandrel bends and not 90-degree square elbow joints. The power loss you feel is very likely attributed to the dented header. Get a new one on there and see how it works out.

The 1st gen B16s are slightly less powerful than the 92+ JDM models, which made 170 hp. The USDM B16s all made 160 hp though. If you feel the power loss is not just because of your damaged header, do a compression check and make sure your timing is correct.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Before I replaced anything I'd do a compression check like jeff suggested.

90crxhf_w/ZC said:
maybe it going out. or not enough oil pressure because the selnonid is activated off of oil pressure. right?
True that the Vtec solenoid is activated off of oil pressure,but if there wasn't enough oil pressure it simply would not activate not just "be weak".

·
Administrator
16,557 Posts
90crxhf_w/ZC said:
uhh if you vtech feels weak then maybe replace your vtech selonoid. maybe it going out. or not enough oil pressure because the selnonid is activated off of oil pressure. right?
The VTEC solenoid won't cause a drop in power, it's like an on/off switch. If a lightbulb goes dim, you're probably not thinking the wall switch is going bad.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
IMO if a engine is at 125psi or lower its ready for a rebuild.
Anything from 125 to 140 is getting weak once again IMO.

A good strong running engine should be near or around 190 to 200psi.

I get usual readings of 175 to 205 from used vehicles at my work.

·
Registered
551 Posts
SETI20 said:
90crxhf_w/ZC said:
uhh if you vtech feels weak then maybe replace your vtech selonoid. maybe it going out. or not enough oil pressure because the selnonid is activated off of oil pressure. right?
HUH????
Not only unreadable, but also makes simply and utterly no sense whatsoever.
SETI20, if you read it and think outside of the box then you might get what i was saying.

im not a vtech guy so i dont know much about it, i personally think vtech is over rated.

·
Administrator
16,557 Posts
90crxhf_w/ZC said:
im not a vtech guy so i dont know much about it, i personally think vtech is over rated.
As a Honda guy you really need to learn how to spell VTEC.

It's definitely not overrated at all, VTEC is the only way to get huge top end power with such a smooth idle. I thought that was explained in your thread about building a ZC. It wouldn't have been copied by every manufacturer on the planet either. But you just said you don't know much about it, so perhaps you should learn more before making a statement like that.

·
Registered
551 Posts
ok agreed i really want to learn more about it, but i just really dont have much time with work, school, girlfriend, stuff like that.

but when i get free time ill probaly just print some stuff off and reed about it.

and i know how to spell vtec, but im so used to putting meridian tech, on papers for school so i just got used to spelling it like this tech.

sorry for the wrong spelling.

but also if you want big top end power cant you just use bigger cams, or a 3 angle port and polish to make up for the loss of vtec.

how much dose vtec axually add?

·
Registered
5,574 Posts

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
vtec itself simply allows you to run a big nasty cam profile at high rpm, while keeping a nice, streetable make grandma happy low cam profile during tame driving.

on top of that, all the vtec cylinder heads are better designed and flow more then their non vtec counterparts.

in the end, theres no reason to not want it in your car. sur eyou can emulate the high end with a bigger camshaft, but then you lose the low end niceties.

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
...back on topic you guys.. :rolleyes1:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.