Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever swapped a 90-91 Si engine and manual trans for a B16A7 and trans? The engine is comming out of another CRX not sure what year. It was rammed from behind and total the car. I'm looking into this to replace my dead engine now but want to be absolutely sure before dumping 1.5k into it. Thanks Guys! :?

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
He's in Europe.. they have weird things like that... not sure on the B16A7 though.

I guess it was made, seems like it may have been in a Del Sol though. If it was in a del sol, the mounts may be different.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Talked to the guy again today, he told me it was actually a B16A1. So anyone done this? Selling the whole car (90/91 Honda Crx) for 1000 Euro. So I'm going to try and scrape up the money for it. Any info would be great. Sorry about the confusion guys!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Did your car have the B16?
If it did, you will be fine...
Here we have to change mounts and do some wiring, axles are different too.
PM Seti, he can give the proper answers.

Good find on the wrecked CRX.
The left over parts, you can sell to us :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well as it turns out the engine is REALLY a B16A9. :x So the question is do the motor mounts need to be change? If so, anyone have a good recomendation on where to get them at.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The owner should be driving up with the car any moment. Manage to talk to guy down to 650 Euro. Woot Woot!!! He claims it has only 100,00 km on it. Dont like the silver color though. But no problem about the pic I'll have it up shortly.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well as I have no problem getting you a gauge cluster, I think my wife wants to take the car after i rebuild it. I found out there is another crx in the junkyard near base. I'll pull it and let you know the price. You do know the speed/tach is diferent from the us spec. I'll take pictures so you can see.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks for the photo, the guage cluster I'm looking for is from the b-16 and in in miles per hour....you went "above and beyond" for me, and I appreciate it.
Could you check with your base post office and see if anyone could send you food through the mail?...maybe some jerky for your trouble? :D

Dave

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Well, be thankful that you don't have to mess with writing out all those "B/D16/7A6/7/9" letters and numbers... just start calling it a ZC, and you'll save time 8)

Dmitriy said:
Well I couldnt find the block code but I did find the info tag on the inside of the engine. The pics are all in here. I'll add more but the memory card was full and had to stop.

http://crxcommunity.com/gallery2.php?g2 ... temId=1774

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
(Composimo) Yeah, thats exactly how I feel. I just wanted to choke the guy out when he told me he was wrong for the third time. (B16A7---->B16A1----->D16A9) First going from imaginary to Nice to a slightly lesser nice.

(D_Britt_57) No problem man. The junkyard near me just got a CRX in so I'll check it for what you and other people want from the EDM version. About the food, all you have to do is put a couple of newspapers in the box and list them on the customs form "forget" about the jerky. I'll even share with SETI since he has been nice to me. Need any cash for alot of it? I used to make a rake with Bombay Rum and another rack with Jack Daniels. MMMM Delicious
The coconut taste really came out good.

(D16Z6rex) Good eye. Its a D16A9 :wink:

I'll take some more pics of my Charcoal later tonight. :p

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
We're gonna have a long chat about this some time soon.

First off, the silver one is a 1988 Mark 1 CRX. The charcoal one is a 1990 Mark 2. So it's older...not newer.
A couple of distinct and vital differences.

For starters, the D16A9 is incompatible with your charcoal car wich has a D16Z5.
Big shock, but nothing that cannot be fixed.
The MK1 does not have an o2 sensor, and a couple of differences in wiring.
You will have to use the wiring loom used currently on your charcoal car.
You'll also have to swap over the exhaust manifold and sensors on it.

To be clear to all...
The "DOHC ZC" engine, also known as the brown and black top engines are from the Type 1 first gen crx here in europe. OUr D16 engines are different, and I'm not sure wo wich engine they can be compared.
(Most distinctive is the difference in the valve cover)

Also, you cannot use ANY of the electronics off the silver one on the charcoal one. The gauge cluster is wired different, even the switches are different. The ECU isn't even a close match.

Apart from these things, most of the usual 88/90 differences apply. Most are cosmetic. Some are things like different suspension.
-Different headlights
-Different corners (screws on the 88)
-Different front bumper (no fake ducts on the 88)
-Different seat upholstery (grey instead of black/red)
-Different taillights (no black trim and 2 small reverse lights instead of 1 large one)
-Different rear suspension and shock absobers
-Different cosmetic door and bumper trims/bump guards
-Orange indicators in the front
-Some minor tweaks here and there

And I think you paid too much...unless the interior is mint and the mileage is trustworthy. (Altho I won't trust a german to hold open a door for me)

Oh, Dbritt...you're looking for the BRITTISH UKDM cluster.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.