Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just traded one of my project cars for a 98 spec GSR motor. I plan to swap this into my 1990 Si. I have searched the internet for days on a write up for doing this. It doesn't seem to be too popular. I am assuming because of the cost of a GSR/ITR motor. The motor part will be easy as I have done plenty of swaps. I am not too sure on the wiring portion and running OBD1 on a OBD2 engine.

Here is what I have so far. I am currently running a D15b2/D16z6 mini me. The harness is already wired for GSR plugs thanks to the previous owner.

Parts list:
B18C1 Engine Complete + Tranny + Harness uncut.
98 GSR ECU ( Assuming the motor is a 98 also. Have not looked at head stamp yet)
GSR Dizzy OBD2 from the looks
Integra axles. Came with motor.
Innovative EF to B series motor mounts
Innovative hydro tranny conversion kit + shift linkage
DX throttle cable. I think this will work
Still need an intake
Chip kit and P28 ECU.

Since it would be stupid to convert from OBD1 to OBD2 I am hoping that my OBD1 D16Z6 Dizzy will work in the GSR head. I have read that it does as the ears/leafs line up. Also, I don't know if 98 Integra axles will fit 90 Si hubs. Other than wiring those dumb secondary butterfly valves for the intake manifold am I missing anything? I should be able to tune out the knock sensor and secondary o2 sensor.

I also wanted to get this bar'd but a friend of mine said that even if I converted to OBD2 I still would not be able to. Lame!

Any write ups, guides, or information from anyone that has does this swap would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :bounce:

·
Registered
20,285 Posts
Endo said:
I just traded one of my project cars for a 98 spec GSR motor. I plan to swap this into my 1990 Si. I have searched the internet for days on a write up for doing this. It doesn't seem to be too popular.
It's a b series swap, one of the most popular and common swaps.

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1242769

·
Registered
211 Posts
wiring- use the si main harness and implant gsr plugs where is needed, extend or shorten where needed
ecu, use the ecu from the engine, use a jumper obd0-0d2
eliminate the resistor box for the fuel injectors by using the ground junction connector from the gsr harness
call rywire to get a harness for the vtec solenoid, vtec oil pressure, knock sensor, o2 sensor 4 wire, obd0-0bd2 dizzy jumper

get fullrace traction bar or inoovative, it will not clear if you have nice headers,
drop motor in and use gsr coolant hoses with worm clamps and heater core hoses has to be customise with the gsr hose, cut to length

gsr throttle cable will fit just fine

si clutch cable fits just fine

check out the big smile on your face

pound the **** out of the drivers engine bay

use the rear engine bracket from a DA 90-93 integra, also the driver side engine mount 2 bolt post

should be hit, hit me up on email if you need extra help,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input everyone.

I am already OBD1 and running a Vtec head. I gutted the heater core and blower motor so I have it capped off at the engine. So I just need to get the OBD1 to OBD2 ecu harness?

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
Getting this swap legal in California will be a pain. It is possible, and I believe there is precedent for it, but there are some weird little parts from an Integra that you'll need. The best person to ask for advice in this case is your local ref.

If you decide that being BAR legal is too much work/money, then forget the OBD-2 conversion. Stick with OBD-1.

The Z6 distributor won't fit a B-series engine, but the distributor on the B18C will still work fine for either OBD-1 or OBD-2 setups.

The axles for this swap will work fine in an Si CRX, you'll just have to remove the dust rings from the inside of the knuckles.

·
Registered
a CRX
2,556 Posts
i need a diagram of 1990 hf crx with obdo gsr swap what wires to run
I think you mean OBD1. There's no OBD0 ECU's that will run a GSR unless the board is modified.

I have a '91 HF with a B18C1 swap and the only wires I had to extend were the throttle body mounted TPS sensor from my existing engine harness. I also had wire in the proper connector for the ECU's fan switch (on the thermostat) also to my existing engine harness, I believe it was just 2 wires to the connector on the switch. Everything else is just conversion harnesses and whatnot.

Also, just an FYI: The engine isn't OBD anything. It's just the ECU and what it's looking for on the engine in regards to sensor infomation ie. crank angle/misfire/heated O2.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts