Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I'm pretty unfamiliar with Civics, but I have an opportunity to buy one of two '88 CRX 2-door Hatchback's and I was hoping for some advice. If this is the wrong forum, I apologize! (Would this belong better somewhere else?)

The first is a CRX DX w/ a SI tranny
Motor has been replaced w/ Japanese VTEC "AC Short block single-overhead Cam" with a "Y8 head" and "DX Headers"
Computer is also replaced
New Clutch
New Axle
It's got air conditioning (but don't know how well it works - will be checking it out tomorrow)
There's also a pair of "Tenko racing seats", and 16" Razor rims.

He's asking 1700.

The second one also has a new motor: a VTEC "dual over head cam GSR 1800" motor w/ headers
Replaced computer
"Edelbrock manifold"
Modified front suspension
"KYB adjustible shocks"
16" rims and B&M shifter.
No AC on this one, and he didn' say anything about SI tranny or not.

I didn't get a price on this one.

I'll be going to take a look at them tomorrow. Any help much appreciated! (even if it's 'the deal sucks' or 'sounds good!'). Oh, and also if there's anything else I should look at / be wary of.

And how much would it cost to re-install and airconditioning system in the second car?

Thanks for helping out a new guy!

·
Registered
914 Posts
both seem like a good buy. I would definatly look into the GSR one even if it was a bit more expensive. Those arnt cheep to put in the CRX. If it isnt to pricy, i would go with the GSR but i wouldnt spend much more than 4k on it. Eather way, they sound nice and fairly priced.

It wouldnt have an Si Tranny because they are for "d" searies engines and the GSR is a "B" searies engine. Much more powerfull than the stock motor from a CRX. Its actualy a better transmission.

as for the AC, it depends on where you live. I'm not familiar with the GSR, but i know its a BIG engine in a little car, and AC might be impossable. Fortunatly, the CRX is a very open car especially with a sun roof and so depending on where you live, you might not even need it. Many people run without AC because it frees up a bit of HP and less weight.

Eather way, welcome to the community, its a great place for any questons you will have with yuor car. Good luck on your purchase!

One more thing, you should go introduce yourself in the lounge, theres a ton of people here who can help with your decision.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Fu-Man Chu said:
The first is a CRX DX w/ a SI tranny
Motor has been replaced w/ Japanese VTEC "AC Short block single-overhead Cam" with a "Y8 head" and "DX Headers"
AC short block... That could be A6 (as in D16A6) or ZC. Since it's definately a single cam block, they're pretty much the same thing. When you bolt an SOHC (single cam) VTEC head onto a non-VTEC block, it's known as a "Mini-Me" swap. In addition to giving you VTEC (the ability to switch cam profiles on the fly), it also boosts the compression ratio. Higher compression makes the engine run more efficiently, but you have to run higher octane gas to avoid knock. A DX header is nothing special.

Fu-Man Chu said:
The second one also has a new motor: a VTEC "dual over head cam GSR 1800" motor w/ headers
[...]
And how much would it cost to re-install and airconditioning system in the second car?
If power is important to you, I would definately look at the car with the GSR (should be a B18C1) swap. You could probably expect around 125 HP from the first car (the Mini-Me) versus 170 HP from the GSR.
Hasport sells a custom bracket for $180 that allows you to bolt the CRX A/C system's compressor to a B-series motor. Tack the price of the A/C system and charging onto that and you have your dollar figure.
As was said above, quite a few people remove their A/C systems, so you may be able to find one for cheap (~$100). If not, Majestic Honda appears (according to their web site) to still have a few systems in stock at around $520... Keep in mind that's a complete, brand new OEM system.
R-12 (the refridgerant used in CRX A/C systems) is not cheap... Expect to pay a few hundred dollars for a full charge. R-134a (the refridgerant used in modern car A/C systems) is much cheaper (and available in auto-parts stores if you wanted to take a shot at it yourself), but since the CRX A/C system wasn't designed for it, it's less effective as far as cooling goes. There are a few non-mainstream options too... For instance, I'm using a hydrocarbon-based refridgerant called Duracool (HC-12a) my system - works great. The downside is that it's flammable (it's basicly a mixture of propane and butane and such) which makes some people shy away from it. I figure it's no more dangerous than the 12 gallons of liquid hydrocarbons sitting about a foot behind the driver's seat.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Make sure you post where you live, I'm sure if a member reads this and lives close to your area, you can talk them into going along to take a look at the car if you buy him lunch or a couple of cold beers or something.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
One quick reminder to anyone that is in the market for buying a new CRX. Always *ALWAYS* carefully inspect the VIN plates on the dash, firewall, and the doorjam decal. If you aren't familiar with what they are supposed to look like, take a friend with you that does. It is becoming more and more common for petty car thieves to rebadge VINs and sell the cars for cheap (but at a killer profit for themselves).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.