Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey im making some beef jerky out of ground beef in my nesco food dehydrator right now. but i was wonderin if anyone eelse here knew how to make jerky n if u do what brand of spices u use or what homemade ones u use. o ya i suggest gettin a nesco food dehydrator it makes realy good cheap ground beef jerky sticks n strips i dunno im a jerky freek

·
Registered
529 Posts
i think it was Dbritt that had a killer beef jerky recipe. it was even in the How-To's on the Resource. but im not sure if either of them made it over here :(

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
i really enjoy making deer jerkey... i usually make it in the oven.... basically i cut the strips of the dteaks up about 1/8 inch thick and then marinate them in moores marinade ( hard to find) fresh ceacked black pepper soy and terayke sauce marinate overnight and then remove from marinade.... patt dry and dry it out in the oven at liek 200 degrees with the door cracked open..... works really well...

i also got a jerky gun that lets me grind it up and make hamburger jerkey... it is good too and not as tough or chewey.. i can make it slat like that or round into little sausage links...

the burger jerkey i usually just use the jerky seasining and cure in hickory or mesquite....

wow dont get me started I am starting to get the hankering for some right now.. . .

lots of good reciepe's on the net.... I am italian though so i usually just season to taste.... only bad part about that s that is hard to get it the same way twice once you find one l you like. . .

·
Registered
328 Posts
This is the recipe that was posted on the resource:

~Dbritt57's Jerky Recipe~
(and where to buy the smoker and chips)

This is the place that I bought mine:
http://www.bimart.com/?id=Wcd1PyQe8VRa&browse=30403

Get the Big Chief, you can smoke more at a time.

This is the company that makes them (you buy the chips here, or use any hardwood, but no bark..yuk) :

http://www.luhrjensen.com/smokers.php

I use either london broil or (my preference) eye round roast.

Trim all the fat, slice ACROSS THE GRAIN then marinate for 1 or 2 days.

Marinade:

I use Dark Brown Sugar, Soy Sauce and hot water (to help dissolve the sugar)

Put the brown sugar~soy sauce ratio to your taste, I sorta like it not so sweet but some people like it that way.

I then smoke 2 pans of chips, then leave the last pan in for a couple more hours.

There it is guys, your own Beef Jerky, made for less then $4 a pound.

The store stuff costs $24 a pound, and is garbage compared to this stuff

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Thanks alot!:roll:
Its almost 11 pm EST and I'm heading out the door for some at the local store.
Grr darn you jerky addiction! :lol:

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
mmmm.... jerky....

DBritts is awesome. Scramblerman brought a bunch to N11. By the time I finished the first bag, stock had run out :(

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
a good friend of mine's aunt makes the best jerky i've ever tasted. I'd hike miles if I knew a bag would be waiting for me at the end of the trail.

·
Registered
731 Posts
toxiclows said:
i really enjoy making deer jerkey...
Ooooo did somebody say deer? Where, where, where? lemme attem

Deer jerkey blows beef jerkey out of the water. (aquired taste required, just my opinion)

I make mine with my Nesco dehydrator from wally world and liquified habanero peppers, garlic, basil leaves, cilantro, salt, msg. The result: heaven and hell both in the same ziplock bag.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Oh man dont get me started on deer jerkey. I first got to have some when I was like 15! Tried it at a friends house, from a deer he'd shot. Best thing Ive ever tasted. Im dying to get more, but dont know anyone with it. Id buy POUNDS of that stuff. Ill buy the whole deer if you let me.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have a variation on my original recipe.
I put some Tabasco in the soy-sauce/brown sugar and that gives it a nice bite.

I have heard of people putting garlic in too, but I havnt tried that.

Some other things I've learned, if you smoke your jerky (the best way IMO) and its cold out side, I just put a cardboard box over my smoker.
Luhr-Jensen sells a wrap, I may buy that for next year, as my box is getting pretty ratty.

Also, if you put Tabasco in, you need to stir it a few times, if you don't, you get some pieces that burn your mouth and some that you cant tell from the regular.

The smoking/curing times are dependent on the outside temp.
The colder it is, the longer it takes.

Ahhh, jerky, now THAT is food of the gods lol

Oh, to edit the links that are broke:

Cabelas has the smokers and chips.

http://www.cabelas.com/products/Cpod0005854.jsp

Oh, BiMart still has them, cheaper:

http://www.bimart.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=600961

1 - 12 of 12 Posts