Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am needing help on deciding what the best sounding exhaust would be for any CRX. I am looking for something a bit more quiet with a deep tone to it.

I started looking around and possible found a possible contender.
Yonaka Catback Exhaust

I am also wondering what headers I should buy, what cat should I get, should I go catless.

I want to know what y'all think. Thank you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I built my own exhaust and after several revisions, got it sounding great. The original version was 2.5" and a 40 series flowmaster, vibrant resonator and cat. This worked well and had a great tone but interfered with changes to my rear suspension and was a bit heavy. After trying a few different things I settled on a Flowmaster Super HP2 just behind the shifter and a Vibrant resonator, again all in 2.5" with the exhaust dumping just past the rear lower control arm. I had a friend build this same setup in 2.25" and the difference in volume and tone is striking with the 2.5" having a deep throaty tone while the 2.25" being louder and raspy. After putting a turbo on the car, the exhaust is now quieter than stock and even at wide open throttle you can easily have a conversation with the windows down.

If I were you, I would purchase mandrel bent tube, v bands, and the chambers that you want to run and have a muffler shop custom build it or build it yourself. Bonus points if you can do it in stainless and TIG weld it. I didn't but that is because I seem to chop up and rebuild my exhaust every year so there was no point.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I built my own exhaust and after several revisions, got it sounding great. The original version was 2.5" and a 40 series flowmaster, vibrant resonator and cat. This worked well and had a great tone but interfered with changes to my rear suspension and was a bit heavy. After trying a few different things I settled on a Flowmaster Super HP2 just behind the shifter and a Vibrant resonator, again all in 2.5" with the exhaust dumping just past the rear lower control arm. I had a friend build this same setup in 2.25" and the difference in volume and tone is striking with the 2.5" having a deep throaty tone while the 2.25" being louder and raspy. After putting a turbo on the car, the exhaust is now quieter than stock and even at wide open throttle you can easily have a conversation with the windows down.

If I were you, I would purchase mandrel bent tube, v bands, and the chambers that you want to run and have a muffler shop custom build it or build it yourself. Bonus points if you can do it in stainless and TIG weld it. I didn't but that is because I seem to chop up and rebuild my exhaust every year so there was no point.
That's awesome. Do you have a video of the sound and reving it a little.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are videos from inside the car with and without out the turbo:

This is a B16 but there isn't a dramatic difference between the two in overall loudness.
They both sound great. My engine is a D16A6 with a 165k miles on it. I'm thinking of getting a new D16, build up the engine to a street spec, and vtec conversion it. Of course it being a Honda engine it will "last forever" but I'll put more miles on it before I do all that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts