Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey... im hopefully gonna be gettign matt's ZC engine soon... and i wanted a future turbo setup in my CRX... whats the best thing i can do to my engine to prepare it for the boost to come?

ill have it out of the car, so working on it shouldn't be too much of a hassle...

any tips or info i should know about? like what kind of turbo works best?

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
I can help you with that haha. are you surprised? first, we need to establish your power goals. if you are looking to get just an extra 100-130whp or so, all youll need to do is simply rebuild the ZC to factory new spec and youll be good to go. any more than that and youll have to figure out rods and pistons for the beast.

IMO, the best budget build would involve any turbo you can find on the cheap (maybe a VF39 off an STi, a T3 Super 60, whatevers clever), an appropriate log or mini-ram manifold for that turbo, oil line kit from stealthmodeperformance, any charge piping kit and FMIC, some DSM (either 1G Turbo eclipse or EVO) injectors, and chip a pm6 (stock crx si computer) and run turboedit to tune it. I wouldnt chip your (soon to be) ZC ecu because its worth a ton of money in stock form and pm6s are dime a dozen.

please, if you have any specific questions feel free to post them up.

[email protected]

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
The key i think with your whole setup is to come up with a master plan, then stage it out so you can accomplish bits at a time.

Personally, id get the motor in and all running well, setup my suspension. Then Id prep for the turbo setup and install that. Sort of like a 3 Stage operation.

you also may want to consider a set of traction bars

[email protected]

·
Registered
407 Posts
Easy turbo build...forged rods and pistons and ARP headstuds...That's all one of the shops in town does to their engines. They had a D16Z6 eg hatch putting out like 400hp and a B16 eg hatch with 475hp @25psi and ran a 10.6. Idk if ZC's are like boosting a regular D series, but most people I know do eagle rods and vitara piston and get good results..

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mmk... because i was just thinking it would be easiest if i did all those pistons and rods and everything with the engine out of the car... well... while it's still out.

ok... so basically it would be some sort of turbo, a turbo manifold (appropriate size), an oil line kit from stealthmodeperformance.com...
whats the charge piping kit? is it what runs to your intake in the back top of your engine? and FMIC? wtf? too many acronyms!!!!! *dies of acro bia?* and some DSM? not another acronym... haha, from an eclipse? no idea what that is...

and some bigger injectors, can figure that... stock fuel pump is ok? and chip a pm6... okay...

My overall goal:
220-230hp zc... meant to be a daily driver, but can still own in little street drags with my friends... they drive WRX's (NOT STI's), a lancer (NOT evolution) and... meh, possibly my friends S2000... but i dunno, thats a long shot! heh

so a daily driver, with a little extra kick (plus, i love the sound of a blow off valve...) I was thinking around 8-12psi? does that seem like the right amount to daily drive?

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
ChokolAwt said:
My overall goal:
220-230hp zc... meant to be a daily driver, but can still own in little street drags with my friends...
What you do, how you do it, and who you are doing it with on your own time is your own business.
But we're a bit sensitive on this particular subject. So tread carefully. Cops are reading along.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mmk... i mean... i would use my turbo setup to drive the speed limit, responsibly to school every morning and to work... keeping care to look out for other crazy kids who would DARE to drag race...

better?

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mmk... matt was explaining to me its not the psi that matters... its the airflow vs compression...

so i would need a turbo good for 250whp? then get all the necessary parts that go with it... and bigger injectors too... that makes sense...

2 other questions before i go out and finish taking off my wiring harness...

-Why on like youtube videos and even in my friends evo8... when the turbo spins up completely... the rpms jump insanely! like a good 3k... to max redline and stuff?
-actually... jk, it was only 1 question... hehe...

any more advice on my future (hopefully) turbo setup? i have yet to price everything out... should i expect it to be in the $2000 range?

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
$2000 to put a turbo kit on! wowza! mmmk... well, i guess some shopping and sales is going to be on my to-do list!

thanks jfrolang... and lower compression pistons? why lower compression?

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
You have a lot of reading to do man... definitely listen to everything Matt tells you when you're in RI picking up the engine. Notice what Jfro said... 2 grand maybe for a Greddy kit. Good, reliable turbo setups aren't cheap, especially if you don't know how to install and tune them yourself.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mmk... would it be cheaper to piece it together yourself? or to buy a kit outright?

also, why lower compression? more air is being delivered into the cylinders... so more gas is entering... would the regular pistons compress the gas/air mixture too much?

·
Administrator
16,557 Posts
You can piece a turbo kit together for less, ollie did his for right about $1000, for example. This is with discount and used parts, and he did his own labor.

On the other side of the spectrum, you could be like me or Charles and spend $7000. For that kind of money you get a complete custom turbo kit installed and tuned by a reputable shop with all new and top-shelf parts.

I think most people would find a middle ground. When I was new to the CRX scene I researched a turbo ZC myself. The Greddy kit for a 92-95 Civic Si fits with slight modification, and you can find these new for less than $2000. If you went that route, I'd still recommend running separate management with larger injectors, chipped ECU, etc.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Pieceing together is almost always cheaper, but takes longer to get everything. Who told you, you needed lower compression pistions? Im sure your stock can handle 200ish maybe get new bolts/studs.

·
Registered
919 Posts
jfish360 said:
Pieceing together is almost always cheaper, but takes longer to get everything. Who told you, you needed lower compression pistions? Im sure your stock can handle 200ish maybe get new bolts/studs.
Above Downest (coolboy) wrote about lower compression pistons, but i think he read it wrong,

So you guys are saying that with the right fuel managment, like hondata, you could run 200whp on a stock sohc zc dd? :D

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mmk... well, i have alot of time...
what is this tuning that has to be done on a dyno... i never really understood that... i thought the dyno was for measuring your whp and torque...

·
Registered
919 Posts
Tuning: The dyno does measure whp and torque, but it also reads fuel trim (how rich or lean you are at what rpm) using a wide band o2 sensor that goes in the tailpipe. This helps the tuners to tune your EMS (engine management system) to your liking, along with mechanical tunes on the engine like a cam gear etc...

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.