Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So at the end of winter, I will have some money to put on my car, so I was wondering: which first: body or suspension ?

Suspension would include: Shock-Spring-Bushing-Rims-Tire

Tire as to be changed in any case.

For the body (pic below), I already have the front bumper, the 2 front panel, and I have the hood from another car.

And I know some people will tell me to change the car, but simply answer that IF YOU HAD TO KEEP IT, how would you do it

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
On second thought, after looking at the pictures....
maybe you do want to do the body work first. I mean that front bumper is unacceptable. And I could imagine a lot of squirrels climbing in through those rust holes to store nuts and other sorts of whatnot. especially since you clearly live in a place with inclimate weather.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Drows said:
For the body (pic below), I already have the front bumper, the 2 front panel, and I have the hood from another car.
So basicly, if I want, I can change de front bumper and 2 front panel tomorow if I want (but I dont want to damage them this winter)

There is a hole in the trunk that as to be close as soon as possible also.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
How bad is your suspension? Does your car get the "death shake" at 35-60 mph? Does it wander/wobble down the road or clunk going over bumps? If it does I'd do the suspension first. Everything i described can be signs of serious suspension problems.

But....if your suspension is relatively solid, looking at your car it has front end damage and the wheelwell cancer that most CRXs get. The frontend should be relaively easy to fix. A new bumper cover, hood, and fender/fenders should do it. The cancer repair is alot more involved. Do a search here and on HT about rust repair to see what you're up against.

Good luck with it......

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ti Rider said:
How bad is your suspension? Does your car get the "death shake" at 35-60 mph? Does it wander/wobble down the road or clunk going over bumps? If it does I'd probably do the suspension first. Everything i described can be signs of serious suspension problems.

But....if your suspension is relatively solid, looking at your car it has front end damage and the wheelwell cancer that most CRXs get. The frontend should be relaively easy to fix. A new bumper cover, hood, and fender/fenders should do it. The cancer repair is alot more involved. Do a search here and on HT about rust repair to see what you're up against.

Good luck with it......
Well, I dont see anything bad with the suspension, but... I only have the car since a few month. So I never drove a CRX in shape, so i dont really know how its supposed to feel like. Everything seem normal.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Drows said:
Well, I dont see anything bad with the suspension, but... I only have the car since a few month. So I never drove a CRX in shape, so i dont really know how its supposed to feel like. Everything seem normal.
So compared with other cars you've driven your CRX doesn't feel "loose"? If not, that's a good sign the suspension is in decent shape. I'd go ahead get the front end straightened out then get started on the rear.....

Looking closer at the pictures of your car.....be sure to check for rust on the subframe (look around the car's jackpoints). If there's significant rust on the subframe....time for a new shell. Be sure you pull the rocker molding to see how bad the cancer is.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Drows said:
Under the car, everything seem fine except for a hole near the spare tire. I would get a better picture, but its quite ugly here today.
Good sign your taillights are leaking. When doing the body, get new gaskets for them.

I vote body. You'll always have time to upgrade the suspension as long as you stop the cancer.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
91crx_si said:
work on that cancer before it gets worst
Agreed...
Being that our little cars suspensions are held in place by the unibody it is an integral part of the suspension itself.

just my morbid curiosity....whats the budget on the redo?
That looks like an aweful lot of bodywork.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I get the body redone, its gonna be little by little. (not the best idea, but...)
Like I'm gonna take care of the hole in the hatch ASAP.
I have in mind around 2k.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.