Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1991 CRX with 120k miles on engine!

It needs a new timing belt. How much would I be looking at that about? Tomorrow morning I am going to call a dealer and some local mechanics? What would be a good price.

Also, I am looking for replacement switch for the moonroof button. Where can I get that online? Also need a new windsheild wiper connector thing. The thing that conects the wiper motor->right wiper->connector->moves left wiper. So the right wiper works, but the left doesnt. Just need to fix that.

All I need to do myself to it, is weld some parts on the door that broke off, buy new seat covers (don't like flowers on my seats.), and give the car a nice wax.

·
Registered
634 Posts
While you're doing the t-belt, replace the water pump and the timing belt tensioner as well. Use OEM parts. For some of the best prices on real Honda parts, check out http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com.
That's Majestic Honda's website. Most, if not all, of the stuff you mentioned can be gotten from them, and their prices are about as good as you're likely to find.

Mike

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I am pretty sure that the dealer wiht be 50% more expensicve. Just want to price gage the difference. The dealership is downhill from me. ( I could neutral it all the way without anyone pushing). But for a mechanic, I would have to hire some friends to start pushing when I have to go up a hill, of course, while im in the drivers seat.

I was talking to the guy across the street, who works on his own cars. He told me to go to this one mechanic that he goes to when he cant fix it himself. I also have a recomendation from my parents about a mechanic, but its 40 min away.

Also, I was checking out the car, the black trimming is peeling away and its Chrome underneith. It looks like it was chrome before then painted over. I am not sure about the chrome being stock on it.

I am thinking of scraping the paint off it and just having it be chrome.

·
Registered
778 Posts
if you order stuff from majestic honda make sure you buy everything you need at once because shipping is pretty high. i think i paid close to 20 bucks for shipping one time on just a few parts

with everybody here to help, you should be able to change the timing belt with no problems. you'll have an issue with the main pully bolt as all of us have had. we'll help you out with that.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Muddy said:
Also, I was checking out the car, the black trimming is peeling away and its Chrome underneith.
The trim along the bottom of the window? That's fairly common. The trim was actually originally rubber, but the years of exposure to the elements dries and cracks it untill it just crumbles away, leaving the underlying metal support. I've found good trim strips in the junkyard before, but they're not easy to remove properly. I only have a nice passenger side strip right now because somebody tried to pull the driver's strip on a junkyard car without removing the screw, ruining it. Apparently they weren't after the passenger side, so I scored that one.
The strips can be bought new from Majestic for around $45 each.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
It's sort of metal painted with a layer of rubber, though it's also possible someone painted over it. I tried that once, but the paint fish-eyed all over the place and it came out looking terrible.
Installing a new strip should be pretty easy. It's held on by 5 plastic clips along the length of the strip and a screw under the base of the mirror.
Taking the mirror off isn't hard: Remove the knob cap, unscrew and remove the knob itself. Carefully pry off the interior trim panel (pry from the top) and remove 2 of the 3 screws under it. Support the mirror and remove the final screw.
If you buy new clips as well, you won't have to worry about breaking them when you remove the old strip. With the old stuff out of the way, attach the new clips to the trim strip and snap it onto the door. Replace the screw and the mirror and you should be done.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
bobski said:
trim instructions
thx for that information. those trim strips are failing on my rex too, i'd love to replace them, but 45 a piece? ouch. gotta love oem honda prices.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.