Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for anyone who has either done this or can help.

Basically, the rex has been garaged for 3 years or so while I sloooooooooooowly worked on getting it restored. I got it running over this past weekend, and low and behold found a gas leak which I'm not excited about. I'm guessing as soon as I even touch the gas lines the brake lines will automagically crumble in my hands as well (I live in NY), so I wanted to ask opinions/questions on how I should go about this stage of the project?

Basically I hate the idea of monkeying with gas lines and to be honest, I'm a little nervous about it because of a bad experience I had with an old nissan sentra. Nothing blew up or caught fire or anything but the short version is by the time I was done there was gasoline EVERYWHERE, I smelled like gas from head to toe and had a really bad headache. :(

There must be a safe/sane way to do this. I've tried searching on a few forums, and google but apparently it's not a popular repair job. Is this a job that can even be done safely for a weekend warrior, or should I just take it to a shop and have it done? :?

BTW, if I redo the lines, should I also consider getting a new fuel pump? what else? Being that I live in NY, is it worth getting SS fuel lines (I plan on keeping the car for as long as humanly possible or until it becomes physically impossible to drive the car, whichever comes first)?

Dave

·
Registered
317 Posts
Have you found the lines? Do you know where your leak is?
ususally, an EFI system is pressurized, and fuel will likely spray everywhere.
A gas line replacement isn't as much of a big deal as you would think.
As long as you work safely, don't use halogen lights near gas, smoke, weld, shoot off fireworks, etc. you'll be fine.
Work with the door up in your garage or outside, and once you find your leak, you can determine the plan of attack.
I replaced my tank before, fuel pump, etc. and fixed a few hoses.
The rubber hoses are pretty easy to replace since they are available anywhere, cut to length hose you can use a hose clamp to secure.
Good luck.

-Henry

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.