Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I need to have my brakes replaced and have noticed that when I am slowing down (from higher then 60mph), the steering wheel shakes. I had these brakes replaced with a 50,000 miles warranty, but that was while I was still in Texas (Brake Stop). Here in the DC Metro area, there are no Brake Stop locations. Does anyone know a roundabout cost to replace and what needs to be replaced?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
jaow, it's pretty simple to change the brakes without messin anything up. rotors are a piece of cake and the pads are easier. the chances that you need to replace the calipers are slim but inspect the pads for and then check your rotors. 3 bolts will get the pads off so you can inspect them. and you can get a real good look at the rotor with the wheel off. just look for uneven wear on the rotors or deep impression like grooves. there are a some brake maintenance post on here with walk throughs and pictures that go over the whole process. i'll try to find them.

the shaking could be suspension related. check and make sure you have the right amount of pressure in all 4 tires. when was the last time you had an alignment? aftermarkets wheels? car lowered? numerous factors could lead to the symptoms you are experiencing...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,516 Posts
Jaowli:
So your saying that it "only" shakes at speeds ^60 but not below?
I can help you,but need more info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ollie said:
Jaowli:
So your saying that it "only" shakes at speeds ^60 but not below?
I can help you,but need more info.
Yes...when I am braking above 60mph...the steering wheel vibrates. Under that, it is not noticeable. What other information do you need?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
not to be off topic or anything but today i started to notice that i need to push way down on the brake pedal to brake and its real weak... they have always ben a bit weak sine i have an old hf but its gotten alot worse i can barly lock up the brakes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You know...I had the rotors replaced with a 50,000 mile warranty at Brake Stop when I lived in central Texas. Now, if that is the problem...there are no Brake Stops anywhere around here to use the warranty....any suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
i just got in the car and the brakes are getting really bad as in i dont feel safe even driving right now i dont even want to goto work.. i checked the master cylinder and theres no fluid at all in the lil resivoir thing but i dont know much about this stuff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dohcya said:
black_krix_si said:
my girls civic was doing the high speed vibration while braking coming off the interstate. Her rotors were warped pretty bad

Paul: sounds like you have air in the lines or more likely a bad master cyl.
He could just need new pads......
Really...that's all I would need? It's been a while since they've been changed. I mean...it's not like I use my brakes as much as I coast or downshift...you know?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
ive ben doing some reading and they say the steering column shake is from warped rotors so i guess thats what you need but **** what do i know my only problem was the brake fluid lol and now my brakes work 2 times better than when i got the car....and to think...i just thought the e-brake light was broke cause it stayed on :roll:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,516 Posts
dohcya said:
black_krix_si said:
my girls civic was doing the high speed vibration while braking coming off the interstate. Her rotors were warped pretty bad

Paull: sounds like you have air in the lines or more likely a bad master cyl.
He could just need new pads......
I disagree.
Pads dont cause the vibration warped rotors do.
I would tend to steer my cause towards the rotors.
As for the warranty on those rotors you may be screwed seeing that particular company doesnt service the state you reside in now. sorry....

Paul:If your master cylinder is/was low there is a really good chance theres a leak.You seriously should have a friend or mechanic check out the source of the leak.I mean look at the brake fluid system this way....if the fluids disappearing wheres it going?It doesnt just evaporate in a closed system.
I'm willing to bet you have a leaky rear wheel cylinder.

jaowli:With your high speed vibration I would think that your frt rotors are mildly warped.It just intensifies with speed.
Also just the steering wheel shakes right? Not the whole car?
A little test I do is to drive about 20-30 mph and slightly apply the park brake.If the vibration appears with the e-brake application then the rear drums are the culprit.If not I rule out the drums as a suspect.
I dont know what auto part store is local to you,but most offer machining services at decent rates.I'd take the rotors to them for machining.

Oh and one last thing,after you remove the rotors from the car look at the hubs where the rotor mounts.Is the rotor mounting surface clean or rusted real bad?
I have had concerns in the past with customer cars having vibrations from rust behind the rotor mount surface.You can see how rust build up can cause the rotor to not seat properly and cause a vibration.
Good luck.
 
G

·
I know That when i start braking 60+ my shakes bad also and with mine it is not just my steering wheel it is the whole car that shakes. i was thinking it might be my rotors. so yeh.

And just a question does anyone know how much the rotors will cost roughly, and another thing how much is a new windshield :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
418 Posts
CRX90 said:
And just a question does anyone know how much the rotors will cost roughly, and another thing how much is a new windshield :lol:
After a quick check at Autozone you are looking at $15-20 per rotor. And a new windshield is usually $200-250 with install.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
well my brake light has ben on for like 4 months so it may have ben empty for a while know i just never checked it..on the other hand were the master cylinder mounts onto the brake booster i think its called i noticed some residue leaking out a lil bit like it has ben for a while but not too badly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ollie said:
jaowli:With your high speed vibration I would think that your frt rotors are mildly warped.It just intensifies with speed.
Also just the steering wheel shakes right? Not the whole car?
A little test I do is to drive about 20-30 mph and slightly apply the park brake.If the vibration appears with the e-brake application then the rear drums are the culprit.If not I rule out the drums as a suspect.
I dont know what auto part store is local to you,but most offer machining services at decent rates.I'd take the rotors to them for machining.

Oh and one last thing,after you remove the rotors from the car look at the hubs where the rotor mounts.Is the rotor mounting surface clean or rusted real bad?
I have had concerns in the past with customer cars having vibrations from rust behind the rotor mount surface.You can see how rust build up can cause the rotor to not seat properly and cause a vibration.
Good luck.
I did the test this morning and it's just the steering wheel. It doesn't do it all the time, just recently it has been increasing.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top