Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my camera is messed up so I can't get pics, but I finally got the 1990 CRX Dx out from under my friend's carport and into my garage. It's been sitting there since August 05 when the main relay (or so we think) went out in it and the engine died.

The battery is drained and I'm sure dead. The rotors look like a rust fest from sitting, the e-brake is just floppy with no tension, and I can see where the fluids blew out and ran down the struts. You all know what that means… UPGRADES! Woo Hoo!

Here's a fast list of what I I want to upgrade/fix with. What do you think or recommend?

Brakes: As a precautionary measure, I will be replacing the brakes all around with AutoZone life time warranty cheapies. Stock DX brakes will be fine for a non track car. While I have it garaged, I'll swap the e-brake cables and tensioner and see if that's the problem. I have never messed with brakes, and will be using my dad as a reference book where I can. I was interested in the Si rear disc conversion, can someone point me where to go for reference to what I'll need? (note: I want to be able to run 13" steelies in winter, so I don't need large discs front or rear) I'm thinking I may try to get a complete Si rear end and rebuild it so I can jsut unbold the Dx one and slap in a refreshed Si one, (complete with swaybar)

Battery: I'm really interested in an Odyssey 680, I love the small dimensions and can relocate it into the rear passenger quarter panel or inside the spare tire pretty easily.

Struts: They are blown because we all know a stock strut on lowered springs is the suck.. I'm thinking KYB AGX struts, unless someone can recommend a better mate for Eibach Sportline springs.

Now I didn't expect the brakes or battery, but after sitting out for 19 months, but what could I really expect. lol. I still feel for $700 this is a great project car. Hell, it came with a ZC to put in, which I'm gathering rebuild parts for before it goes in. I may as well rejuvenate it before it goes in and/or gets boosted.

*edit* I guess this post came off more as a statement than a question, so I have to add: These plans are for a N/A ZC'd Dx daily driver. Do you recommend other parts/products, or is there precautionary parts I should have on hand while doing the brakes, battery relocation, or better struts that offer a smoother ride?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SETI20 said:
If you're doing brake work, upgrade to civic EX ones.
They are not that more expensive anyway, but WELL worth it.
What all do I need to change for the EX brakes to fit a Dx CRX, and what year Ex are we talking? Do I need hubs and stuff? I have caught bits and pieces of people upgrading to them, but havent' seen a list of what I'd need to do this. Will the EX brakes fit inside 13" wheels? I got some nice winter tires on 13s and would like ot save the need to purchase new winter rims/tires if I can help it.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
I don't *think* EX brakes will fit under a 13" wheel, if you can even find them. Jared has EX brakes and he had to grind the caliper to fit under the 14" Si swirlies.

Brakes:
Go with new OEM or remans. You may as well do the Si brakes in front, I don't know if they even cost more than the DX brakes, and they will fit under a 13" wheel. For the rears, the only benefit you'll have with discs is ease of maintenance, and drums aren't even that hard to work on. You can use pretty much any 90-00 rear disc trailing arms, though you only need the spindles if you can get them off the TAs. You'll also need the Si prop valve and e-brake cables.

Battery:
Stef, Matt and I are all running the PC680. I love mine, I've never had a problem with it. It also fits perfectly in the cargo box behind the seats. Stef left his car sitting for weeks in the cold and it starts up fine still. I definitely recommend it. Here's an article about how to relocate the battery to the rear.

Struts:
First I'll refer you to this thread about suspension. If you're considering AGX, look at Illuminas too. They are pretty much the same, get whatever is cheaper. They will both be fine on Sportlines.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Hes just daily driving. He doesn't really need ex brakes. (I realize i'm a huge hypocrite for saying that). Just rebuild what you've got and put good pads on.

·
Registered
711 Posts
SETI20 said:
In my opinion, even for daily driving everybody should get the biggest and most powerful brakes they can fit on their car.
Safety is not an option.
Based on how one drives will warrant the need for "the biggest and most powerful brakes they can fit on their car". Stock brakes work fine for a daily.

I guess for more of a bite an upgraded pad would be good...

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I drive like a granny. *coughBULLSH**cough* nah, I'm gentle on the skinny pedal. I rarely do over 65. Of course I've been in my 9mile per gallon Jeep and 65 is about all she's got. lol.

I think stock Dx brakes are more than sufficient. I probably SHOULD upgrade to better pads. Ceramics sound decent. Any recommendations?

Plain old every day brakes are going to cost me $100 including tax for:
Rotors - 11.99 each
Pads - 20.99 set of 4
Drums 17.77 each
Shoes - 13.97 set
plus 6% sales tax at AutoZone/Advanced Auto worked out to $100.15.

The pads are OEM semi metallic. The ceramic he quoted me were like $50 for just the pads. Now I think brakes are very important. But I'm trying to restore her on the cheap. I know, I know, don't be stupid, and get the better pads... HOWEVER, I am concerned with locking up the fronts while in snow or ice conditions. I'd much rather have a touch less grip so I don't lock up fast and slide. In dry conditions, I feel the OEM semi metallic should be more than enough. I used to lock up my old Dx's brakes all the time just for fun. I'd get going 50-60mph and smash the brake and screech to a halt because I loved the sound. Of course the 13s didn't like me much, but heck, at $36 each, I could toss on new fronts every few weeks and not care. lol. I was a dumb teenager at the time...
I upgraded (if you call it that) to heavy 16s and they wouldn't lock up anymore, but stopped very well on stock brakes.

Ok to sum it all up, so far I've gotten the following advice:
Odyssey Battery is good, go for it and relocate it ot the cargo box. (I still need to know where to get the battery try that jfrolang has in his swap thread, I really like it)

AGX or Illuminas are both good for the cost and good for a daily driver.

Brakes: Stock is fine, but get better pads.
That sound about right?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.