Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, it was 70 out today so i spent all day working on the car, because i have that kind of time, and worked mostly on the front brakes. (There was alot of down time) Pads are about six months old and the calipers are about five months old. Since i bought all the new stuff for my car, i ran out of money to buy rotors, so i just had them turned today. I put it all back together and took it for a test drive, the sound that was coming from my brakes is gone, the steering wheel movement is gone, but the pedal feels soft. I checked the brake fuild, its full but dirty as all hell. So tomorrow im going to change it but first want to ask a few things.

1. What Dot brake fuild should i use? 3, 4, 5?

2. Do i just bleed all the old fuild out through the bleeders or should i disconect the hose from the caliper?

3. Would turning the rotors give me a soft pedal?

Now, Turning the rotors is only intill I can find the money to buy new rotors but i still would like to be able to stop.

Tom 2

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
any DOT 3/4 fluid is fine. dot 5 is synthetic and NOT compatible. there is a dot 5.1 that is compatible, but not going tobe any better than a good dot 3/4.

ANY fresh fluid is going to be better than the crud sitting in your lines now.

yes, bleed through the bleeder screws. do not disconnect anything. its best to use two ppl. really, its the easiest and most effective way. and usually free....

its just the air thats in your calipers now that is causing your soft pedal, nothing to do with turning the rotors.

your caliper pistons probably were in need of some care and the calipers might need to be replaced/rebuilt due to age and use. when you push the piston back, you push back along with the piston all the crud that is lining the outside of the piston which is now INSIDE the caliper, on the other side of the seal.

·
Registered
500 Posts
When I did my brakes, I also did the fluid. I used a handheld vacuum pump, brand name MightyVac, and two thirds of a big bottle of brake fluid.

I sucked the fluid out of the master cylinder first, then pushed the pistons all the way into the calipers, then sucked the master cylinder dry again. Next, I filled the master cylinder with fresh fluid (after cleaning out and replacing the filter cup) and hooked up the vacuum pump up to the reservoir and the reservoir to the bleed screw. Then I sucked all of the dirty fluid out until clean fluid came through, and repeated at all four corners.

I don't think it is necessary to bleed the the system after that unless you ran the MC empty, but I did anyways. I have had no problems (soft pedal) since.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.