Honda CRX Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
They're wear items, and decent coilovers today are better than what Honda originally put on the car.
I took your advice and ordered front coil springs from Napa for about $80. Still looking for rear coils..... possibly Autozone. I've also ordered KYB shocks and struts from Autozone, in case the Tokiko's are blown. If they're ok, I will probably return the KYBs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
I did some digging and was able to find rear coils available at Summit Racing, Rock Auto, and an online parts store in Canada called the Monkey Wrench. The part numbers are:

MOOG CC259
MEVOTECH SMS259V

The website claims the part numbers are the same for the SI and DX. I'm assuming these are interchangeable with the HF but that the spring rates are slightly difference.

The price difference is minimal between the two; any recommendations in terms of quality? I did some research but reviews seemed to be mixed.

Also, I ordered 'Ultra-8' front coil springs, ATM 1042903.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Got the front strut assemblies apart. The stock springs and coilovers are Eibach Ground Control p/n 87570 GC180 64.61. Do these replacement springs seem too long? I'd have to compress them to half their height to fit. These are Altrom p/n 1042903. The label says they're for an Accord but on the Napa website is says they will fit a CRX.

Automotive tire Coil Organism Coil spring Circuit component

Photo of my daughter taking removing the strut. She want to learn how to work on her car.

Vehicle Hood Window Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
593 Posts
Thinking about it, I don't know if I've ever seen the stock suspension on a CRX before lol. That looks really long though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Removed all of the shocks and springs and replaced the right front cv axle which had a torn boot. One of the front struts was bad and so we are replacing with adjustable KYB's. We might reuse the rear shocks as they seem fine.

I decided to have the front springs compressed at a shop instead of DIY.

My daughter is cleaning up the Ground Control coilovers for sale and will sell them to recoup some of her investment.

I think the rear sway bar was an add-on; I don't think it came stock on the HF. It also came with a pretty nice stainless (I think) exhaust.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Can't believe it. Tire store charged me $401 just to compress the springs onto the struts. Ridiculous. I should have taken a chance with the Autozone compressors. It's my fault for not asking for a quote up front. They billed $175 / hr for two hours.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Got the front strut assemblies apart. The stock springs and coilovers are Eibach Ground Control p/n 87570 GC180 64.61. Do these replacement springs seem too long? I'd have to compress them to half their height to fit. These are Altrom p/n 1042903. The label says they're for an Accord but on the Napa website is says they will fit a CRX.

View attachment 1442

Photo of my daughter taking removing the strut. She want to learn how to work on her car.

View attachment 1443
Neat to see daughter getting hands dirty with the job.
Yea those springs look way to long. Did they actually fit the shock?

Harbour freight floor spring compressor was about $150. Did you get the KYB's?

Away from home but the Eibachs are probably about 7" long. The stock spring height should not be that much longer than Eibachs. Sorry I can't measure what I have to give you exact numbers.
Autozone probably does rent/loan spring removal tools fyi.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The springs actually did fit but not yet sure how it will affect the ride height. Now the problem is that the struts aren't properly faced so I can't get the pinch bolt into the lower attachment. They'r off by amount 90 degrees. What a cluster.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The springs actually did fit but not yet sure how it will affect the ride height. Now the problem is that the struts aren't properly faced so I can't get the pinch bolt into the lower attachment. They'r off by amount 90 degrees. What a cluster.
Cluster sounds about right. Sometime you can mount the top of the shock into the opening put fork on the bottom with pinch bolt and twist to correct alignment for pinch bolt, but 90 degrees is a lot.
You did list two different spring numbers in 2 different postings. #22 and #23 listed 2 different spring numbers. Still think the spring shown is tooo long. Sorry I cannot find free length on OEM spring. If I was home I get my 88 hf set out of the attic and measure them for you.

You got ripped on the spring mount charge. Longest part is taking assembly off/on car. Once you stick the shock into spring compressor, take just a few minutes to mount. 2 shocks should only take about 15 minutes to mount springs. Done it many times. 2 Hrs sounds like r&r spring assembly on car charge.

HF did not come with rear bar. OEM si rear bar can be used. Need to drill two holes on each side of frame for mount.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I'm going to talk to their manager tomorrow about the 2 hrs. I really assumed this was a 30 minute job.

You did list two different spring numbers in 2 different postings. #22 and #23 listed 2 different spring numbers. Still think the spring shown is tooo long.
Not sure where I got the part number in #22 and I will edit that, but according to the website, ATM 1042903 is correct. It seemed to go onto the strut ok and they fit just fine (except for being off 90 degrees). I guess I really won't know for sure until it's back on the ground. I sure hope they're the right ones, otherwise, $400 wasted. The driver side strut is much closer to the notch and I think will go in with a little coaxing. In hindsight, I probably could have made some reference marks on the strut for the work at the shop.

I called it quits for tonight but my plan is to put the wheel on, lower the front end down until the wheel makes contact, and then remove the nut from the top of the strut. Then I will jack it back up to relieve some (not all) of the spring pressure, and try to turn the strut using a channel lock. Short of starting over, this is the best plan I can think of. It will have to wait until next weekend.

HF did not come with rear bar. OEM si rear bar can be used. Need to drill two holes on each side of frame for mount
The brackets for the rear sway bar bolt into the bottom of the frame rails and there are nuts welded on to the inside of the rails. It all looked factory.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Si and Dx were the same on nearly almost everything mechanical like this, the HF was usually the oddball.
Yes I agree with that.
I have a set of OEM 88 HF shocks and springs in the attic, and when I get home I'm going to have a set of KYB that I'll mount the OEM springs and hardware on. That'll go on the HF in place of the high priced double adj konis I have on it currently.
I'll measure all of that and post it. About 3 weeks out. Spending time on the beach in MX and don't feel like leaving.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts