Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok before we get into this, I know it's unnecessary, at the moment my car isn't really seeing HPDE or anything like that, I just thought this would be a cool project and I might learn something.
Anyway, so a couple of weeks ago I installed my new AEM cold air intake, which puts the filter out of harm's way inside the bumper. Well, someone before me punched out the back of the little scoop in the bumper on that side, so you can see it right through the front, and worse, water is going right in there on rainy days. Last week while I was in Montreal, I saw an EP3 (SiR badge, Canadian only?) at a dealership, looked like they were selling a used race car. It was actually cool enough that I almost forgot it looked like a minivan, huge wilwoods, roll cage, lots of 5-10+ HP stickers. Anyway so this car had brake ducts built into the bumper.
So that's when I got the idea, I'll use the existing hole, punch out the other one, and route air over my front brakes! And then I thought, "how the hell am I going to do that?". So I have some ideas about how to design the things, and I have a friend at RPI with access to the Rapid Prototype Machine who said he might be able to make me somehting if I give him a good design. The thing is, I don't know where the things should go! I imagine they should go directly inboard of the wheel hub and shoot the air perpendicular to it.
I'm sure someone has built these things (not naming any names), so how do you do it?

·
Registered
248 Posts
i have some flexible cardboard tubes with aluminum coils for durability built into them rigged up as brake vents. I ran them along the radius rods from either side of the radiator... then pointed them directly at the caliper

no brake fade, and it was as easy as jacking the car up, removing the wheels so i had more room, and zap-strapping the tubes to the radius rod. i guess you could make your own custom ducting, but if you only want to spend $30 CDN for the same type of thing... go to any parts store and look for air ducts (not sure their EXACT names, but make sure they have the aluminum coil, or else they may fall apart)

You can run them from the front bumper as well, from where the fog lights should be on JDM cars. im not sure if the washer fluid reservoir takes up the whole space in front of the driver's side wheel well, but with flexible tubing, you can kinda go wherever there is space.

no brake fade even on long trips downhill... granny-braking style

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.