Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,605 Posts
The stock bulbs are 27 watts each IIRC. Fog lights are generally 55 watts each. Also, the light pattern from the turn signals is aimed too high to be useful as fog, or even driving lights. If you just want the marker-light look, dual filament sockets from newer Hondas seem to fit perfectly:

· Registered
2,605 Posts
I used '97 Accord corner light sockets, actually. Like I said, they fit the CRX bumper housings perfectly (even the little lock/unlock arrows line up), but use a different electrical connector. I like this one better actually, it's smaller, easier to unplug and has actual seals instead of packed grease. As for wiring, the color codes were identical IIRC, except it gives you an extra red/blk wire that you tap into the corner light wiring. Anywhere you see a red/blk wire in the car, it's fused power from the parking lights contact of the lighting switch. Running the wire through the loom as it should be only means unwrapping a foot or two of harness.

· Registered
2,605 Posts
zerocool1014a said:
wouldnt it be nicer to switch the wiring from the side markers to the bumper and move the blinkers to the side markers(ie the corner lights)
... What?
In stock form, the side marker light (the rear-most light on the US corner light) alternates blinking with the bumper light. Are you saying to simply switch them around, so the bumper light stays on and the side marker is off most of the time? You might also consider just running the bumper light in paralel with the side marker, so they're both on or off at the same time (mostly on).
The potential problem I see with both of those is that the side marker relay (built into the integrated control unit) might not be designed to handle the additional 9+ times the wattage you would be drawing through it. Stock, the much higher wattage bumper light is driven directly by the flasher/signal switch, while the side marker has a relay to make it alternate when appropriate.

· Registered
2,605 Posts
baker423 said:
4)
The reason this setup uses relays is that the stock wiring system won't support more load on the park light system w/o just not working at all. You could staight wire the bulbs to the head lights but I didn't think that was very safe or clean.

5) You can pick the relays up at your local radio shack. The sockets are just std 1157 dual filiment bulb sockets, easy place to source them from would be from the tail lights of most Honda's.
4) Wiring the lights directly to the parking light circuit has worked fine for me. I could understand being concerned if you were adding bulbs with a new high filament somewhere, but the low filaments of dual filament bulbs are 2-3 watts (depending on model). That's a max of 6 watts total, or 0.5 amps. If the lighting system is running so close to it's limit that it can't handle another half amp, IMO the whole lighting system should be re-wired for the safety of the car.

5b) All of the Honda tail light bulb sockets I've seen are meant to be internal to the car... Meaning they have no weather seals. As I pictured above, corner light sockets from newer Hondas fit perfectly and have better than stock weather seals.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.