Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been getting a lot of PMs and AIMs and such about this:

And how to do it. FooFighter posted the thing from 4thgenhatch a while ago, but mine is cleaner :wink: . I do this a lot, I'm a little OCD and like a clean bay. I'll have an article with a wire tuck coming soon, and tonight I'll snap some pics of other bays with other engines if you all want to see that.

Maybe we can get this in the HOW-TO section stick? I have some other write-ups I can touch up for it too.

_______How to Detail Your Engine Bay________
There are many reasons to have a clean engine bay. Of course, most people like the look of a clean bay. It's a lot easier to work on too when bolts aren't masked in grease and you don't have to wash parts and tools constantly. It's also easier to locate leaks, and the engine runs cooler without a layer of grime caked on the outside.

>>>>Materials and Tools<<<<
Simple Green
your favourite car wash soap
spray bottle
Garden hose (or pressure washer)
stiff nylon brush
bucket
sponge
Tire Foam (optional)

>>>>Prepping the Bay<<<<
Before you start make sure the engine isn't too hot, water on a hot exhaust manifold isn't fun, and the cleaner will evaporate fast. You need to protect the stuff you don't want getting wet first. The main things to watch out for are the battery, intake, and distributor. If your battery is still in the bay, you might want to remove it for the cleaning, likewise with the stock airbox. If you have a short ram intake, put a plastic bag or something over the end, I have a cold air down in the bumper so I don't worry about it. If your distributor seal is good it shouldn't be a problem either, just don't hit it directly with the pressure washer if you're using it. You may also want to make sure the plug wire boots are sealing well, I had a problem getting water in the holes on a B18A a few weeks ago, but my SOHC has never let any water down there. Also make sure the holes in the firewall for the AC condenser and the grommet near it are sealed, especially if you removed the AC.

>>>>Initial Cleaning<<<<
If this is your first time washing the bay, it's probably really dirty, with thick layers of grease on everything. Begin by mixing the Simple Green 1:1 with water in the spray bottle. Spray everything in the bay, even the body/frame on the shock towers and the firewall where it doesn't look dirty (because it is). Don't forget the bottom of the hood too. Make sure to get behind the header on the block and the top of the front crossmember, and your tranny is probably covered in crap too. If the grease is really bad, spray it all off with the hose/pressure washer (no scrubbing) and put some more simple green on there and let it soak for a few minutes. This way your brush won't get clogged up and spread grease around.
After you let the Simple Green soak in, scrub everything with the stiff brush. You might want to do this twice depending how dirty everything is. Start rinsing with the underside of the hood and work down. Move around to get around and under everything. Make sure you spray a lot on the intake manifold runners, they will pool water and you want that to be clean water.

>>>>Making it Shine<<<<
You should have the bay pretty clean, and all of the big pieces of dirt and grease should be gone at this point. Mix up your car wash soap (like you're washing the rest of the car) and start fine cleaning with the sponge. I dont do this on everything, just the intake, valve cover, and the frame/body areas like the shock towers where the metal is smooth. The rough cast metal on the block and other things won't look that much better, but the smooth painted stuff will show spots if you don't clean it. Rinse again when you're done and let it dry (hood open in the sun is the best)
Now if you want it to REALLY sparkle, tire foam the whole thing when it's dry. This will make the hoses look freshly Armour-All'd, and the foam also tends to eat away the grime you couldn't get with the brush. I've used tire foam as a quick detailer a few times when I couldn't take the time to scrub a bay, and on air-cooled bikes with a lot of heat sink fins on the block. The longer it sits, the better it does.
Once the foam is mostly dissolved, take a rag and rub it evenly into the rubber hoses and such, to make sure it's not going to spot and it's spread evenly. You can rinse again if you like (I usually do), but it's not required.

Enjoy the clean bay!

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have to dig it out of my old class notes... I did it in high school with a copper penny, and I'm pretty sure it works on steel. I'll have to try it out, it's an idea I've been thinking about for a while... but the bolts aren't rusty on my new CRX.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Here is my engine bay. It is an old pic and I have actually cleaned it up a little better since then.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking clean Kev! Now you just need to tuck and get that battery out of there... I notice a little dirt on the vertical part on the driver's side!
And I can't believe you have all the crinkle coat still!

·
Registered
93 Posts
downest said:
Looking clean Kev! Now you just need to tuck and get that battery out of there... I notice a little dirt on the vertical part on the driver's side!
And I can't believe you have all the crinkle coat still!
Yeah that pic is old(look at date). I have an optima up front now. I have cleaned more of the bay since then also. I will have to get a pic when I go back home.
I love the crinkle paint. I saw someones that has red crinkle paint, I looked pretty cool.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Neil said:
Here is your tuck pics for reference. I plan to do this in the next year:

What motor is this? Did you do all the wire tucks yourself?

·
Administrator
16,557 Posts
Tough to say what that engine is. About the only thing that can be determined from that pic is that it's a VTEC B-series. I actually saw that exact car at the Florida meet, and I'm sure I looked at the code on the block, but I can't remember what it is. I think it was a B16A. The really cool part was the semi-translucent tinted polycarbonate spark plug cover. The glare in that pic makes it just look black though.

·
Registered
20,417 Posts
Holy_CRX said:
Does anyone have a how to on tucking all your wires? I sure would love to do this with my rex.... all those wires and what not are ugly sitting up top.
I knew there was a "How To", just had to search for it.

I thought Tom had one written up wen he did his, but I did not find it, so I found this one.

http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t ... =wire+tuck

·
Registered
112 Posts
Why do you guys call it "DETAILING" when its just cleaning? LOL. I was expecting something about adding trims and details and nice looking things to the engine.

Still cool advice though! :wink:

·
Registered
20,417 Posts
Greyfin said:
Why do you guys call it "DETAILING" when its just cleaning?
Because that it what it is called being that it is a thorough, meticulous, detailed cleaning.
"Auto detailing" - the practice of performing an extremely thorough cleaning and polishing of an automobile, both inside and out, to produce a show-quality level of detail. It can be practiced for personal satisfaction.

·
Registered
112 Posts
baker423 said:
Greyfin said:
Why do you guys call it "DETAILING" when its just cleaning?
Because that it what it is called being that it is a thorough, meticulous, detailed cleaning.
"Auto detailing" - the practice of performing an extremely thorough cleaning and polishing of an automobile, both inside and out, to produce a show-quality level of detail. It can be practiced for personal satisfaction.
Yes, my point exactly. Which is that you Americans use the weirdest terminology. Take a chill pill...

:lol:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.