Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
91 CRX Base Model , My car is smoking and I was trying to figure out why it is. I checked my spark plugs today and when i got to the third one the plug wire dripped with oil when I took it out. Can someone tell me if I change the o- ring seals on the valve cover would that keep the oil from going into the hole. Vice Versa would it keep my car from smoking? Someone please help........

·
Registered
779 Posts
d1nonlyjv43 said:
91 CRX Base Model , My car is smoking and I was trying to figure out why it is. I checked my spark plugs today and when i got to the third one the plug wire dripped with oil when I took it out. Can someone tell me if I change the o- ring seals on the valve cover would that keep the oil from going into the hole. Vice Versa would it keep my car from smoking? Someone please help........
No, what it will do is prevent your spark plug hole from filling with oil which way cause lose of spark, and even leave you stranded (common issue with our aging engines). Smoke comes from 3 things in a combustion engine.

The easiest to fix, is gas. Too much cause will cause black smoke to come from the engine. You usually fix it by replacing the spark plugs or the fuel filter if either are worn.

The second is oil, which causes a blue smoke, this comes thru valve steam seals or the pistons oil rings, not the piston rings as some are for compression. Both of these require a rebuild of each end. Valve stem seals require you to rebuild the top end for security, and the rings require you to rebuild the bottom end.

The third is coolant, which causes white smoke. This usually means your head gasket is blown and the water can pass thru the gasket and into the combustion chamber so it can be burned up. An easy fix. Worst case scenario is a cracked sleeve which means the block needs to go to the garbage (not worth resleeving a 100$ engine).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well here goes another project I suppose , the problems i have with the car right now is, The brake system, which I am replacing the master cylinder and brake booster and pads n front n shoes in back are all getting replaced trying to find a good day, plus a day that im off to do this. Parts are sitting to be put on. Next issue is this smoke thing. I wasn't planning on doing a motor swap until prolly summertime so how can i fix this problem for right now. The smoke i think is kind of whitish i would say so i think u said coolant leak. Am I going to have to rebuild this engine or take it out at any time to fix it? Also will a motor from a 87 Honda Civic work in this car?

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
d1nonlyjv43 said:
Also will a motor from a 87 Honda Civic work in this car?
No, '87 is a year too old. They changed the transmission bolt pattern and engine mounts in '88. Any D-series (single-cam Civic, CRX or DelSol) motor, '88-00 (not including the '88-89 Integra motor) should bolt in with a little tweaking.
If you want a streight bolt-in replacement for the engine block and head, look at the CRX DX, '88-95 Civic LX, DX and '93-95 DelSol S.
The '88-91 engines should be identical to your current one. The only possible difference is getting an automatic versus manual version. Automatics have a slightly different wiring harness and a different throttle pulley and bracket for the cable to the transmission. If you get the wrong one for your car, just swap over your throttle body and wiring harness.
The '92-95 (D15B7) engine has a different wiring harness and an MPFI intake manifold. You can just swap on your current DPFI manifold and harness... You'll probably need a new gasket. They also moved the radiator fan temperature switch from the back of the block by the oil filter to the thermostat housing. You would need to extend the wires about a foot and replace the connector.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.