Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
there are a bunch of shippers out there... . .you can even find some of them advertising there services on ebay. . . . i was thinking that i had seen some gfor 500 dolalrs. . . . but not sure. . ..that was a while ago before the big gas hikes. . .

Chris

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I agree, 1 way ticket, bus or plane, 3 day trip permit for the DMV, and gas $$$....That way you know how the car was handled.

Also alot of shippers wont take the car if its not running. At least that was my experince...
But that had me wondering about old non-running muscle cars....

·
Registered
794 Posts
Before I got my car I was looking at buying it from one of you guys in the U.S.

I was thinking of shipping it here (Canada) but then thought against is because the cost of shipping would be more than the value of the car. So then I started pricing plane tickets and fuel costs for a road trip.

I found out that the cheapest but longest way to go about it would be to drive down with someone else to pickup the car yourself. Then drive back in your new car and get who ever you came with to drive back the car you came in. This way would be good if you have some time to spare and wanted to go on a road trip with someone...

However if you want to get the car quickly you might just want to fly down to wherever the car is and then drive it back. This has advantages because 1. You get to travel somewhere cool 2. You get to see the car before you buy it and 3. You get plenty of time to get to know your new car on the drive back home.

For my situation which would have been buy a car in the US somewhere and then get it to me in Canada is would cost about $2000 to get it shipped to me. About $800 to fly there and then drive back. And about $300 to drive there and drive back. Of course those price vary depending on where the buyer/seller lives.

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I probably wouldnt have time to drive it back, trust me I've thought of it. On related note has anyone ever bought a car without going to look at it? How was the transaction handled?

·
Registered
209 Posts
my uncle and me bought a 70 Datsun 240Z from boston on ebay
we did cash at pickup.
if u dont like it you leave.
My dad and my uncle dont like each other so I asked my dad to borrow his Danali for the night. went to u haul, grabed a car dolly. drove 10h there, grabed the car, drove 10h back

·
Registered
734 Posts
I would fly out to California even without having a specific car to look at and feel pretty confident that I would find something, if I could spend a day or two there. Fly in with a one-way ticket and rent a car at the airport -- with a list of autotrader ads and a rental car with a navigation system, you could probably check out a decent number of cars in a day (call the guys ahead of time and try to see if they will be around when you're in the area). If you want to see more cars, or some of the guys weren't available on the first day, stay the night at a cheap hotel, wake up, and check out the rest and decide on a car that day. Buy the car, have the guy follow you to the nearest rental-car location, and take him home. Then, gear up for a long-ass drive home in your brand-new Rex.

It seems like there are enough great looking CRXs in SoCal that you don't have to go out there for one you purchased sight-unseen. Maybe pick 3 or 4 cars that you want to check out. That way, you can be sure that you're getting the car you want (and be confident about it getting you back across the country). It sounds like a good time, really :) If you're not 100% sure that you will find a car you like, buy a round-trip ticket instead. It's probably not that much more expensive, and you won't get treated like a terrorist for having a one-way). This plan won't be that cheap, but neither is shipping a car that you've never seen across the country and hoping for the best.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I shipped two cars from Illinois to Cali for $450 each, this was 3 years ago. It takes about 2 weeks to get them, roughly.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
We just had our Kia shipped from Cali to NY... I can find out how much it was... we have the reciept from the company too... They called us a couple days before arriving to let us know the progress, and then multiple times during the day of delivery.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.