Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my car has been giving off white smoke and driping a bunch from the tail pipe. I know some water is a by-product of combustion, but about 5 seconds of reving will make a puddle about 2-3 inches wide. Is this normal. I decided to check my spark plugs and found that they are covered in carbon.

is this normal, i know this may sound like a stupid question but i dont really have a baseline to compare it from. i feel like my car gives off way to much carbon. I recently cleaned my tail pipe and had a good 3/4 mm of carbon crust. i'm just a stupid kid so any help would be appreciated. What tests could i do to find the problem. BTW, i'm talking about a d16a6. I have done a comp test and between 145 and 160 on all cylenders. Thanks!

Add: i forgot to mention that i my crankcase vent hose is disconected. I dont think that would make a difference, but usuialy i'm wrong...

Also, after i run my car for a bit, if i open up the crank case, theres a white mist like oil in it. not much, but its there. Didnt used to do it.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I'm not an expert....but the 145-160 difference seems a little high.
White smoke means fluids... no fluids there except oil, wich smokes blue, and coolant....wich smokes white.

So there aren't alot of possibilities.
It's either a head gasket....but it could also be an intake gasket. Coolant runs through the throttle body. I'd check that first if I were you.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its not much, and only when the engine is cold, i dont believe its coolent because i havn't had to refill it at all. Its not low. i believe that a difference of 20 PSI in the cylender is ok and the minimum allowed is 120 somethin.

I now noticed that at high RPMs i get black smoke. Jeez, i am begining to get frustrated with this car. I have never seen a honda smoke, so this is different.

I dont think the white smoke is an issue any more, i cleaned the o2 sensor and that seemed to help. But now theres the black smoke problem.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Replace the O2 senser, it cheap and elimants that cause. Next, check the oil to see if there is fuild in it other then oil(an oil change isnt a bad idea). Try changing the spark plugs to a hotter plug, I like the IGK plugs the best, dont go cheap with the car. Check the air flow to, that would cause it to run rich. Napa has this great product call Seafoam that will steam clean the engine and make it run better. Hope this help a little.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.