Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well everyone i just got my CRX about a week and a half ago. and (no Offense) i thought a carbon fiber hood was apiece of ****. But i was thinking it would be freakin awesome toHave the whole top of the car Carbon fiber . Carbon fiber the hood, roof and the hatch. But I have one problem .i dont know where to get a carbon fiber Roof.... But I have seen this before

·
Registered
913 Posts
Pretty much the look I was going for before I was forced to sell my baby. CF hood, (glasstop), and I have a CF hatch. Was going to paint the strip of metal thats between the windshield and glasstop black to match the rest of the top of the car, would have looked sooooooooooooo good!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just paint your roof black, it'll look fine and give you the two tone look you want. I've seen it done before and it looks AWESOME.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
You'll just wnat to overlay it....

But painting the roofs black is a hallmark here at our shop... the next few cars out of the shop will have black roofs, and one may have a carbon overlay... my 'Project Turtle' has a black roof to 8)

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Yea, it is just a metal sheet.... as is the rest of the car... hehe.

But what you'd want to do, if you were wanting to recreate the entire skin, and have it be only CF, would be to carefully remove the roof, leaving in place the metal girders that support everything. Then, the CF roof would be 'panelbonded' (neat product, and STRONG) to the metal and the girders.

It CAN be done, but to do it, would require making a mold of a stock metal roof, and then pulling a part from the mold. Again, not impossible, but cost prohibitive... and what is the benefit? Much like CF fenders, the metal counterparts aren't that heavy. So if you want the CF -look-, then you have someone experienced with CF overlay the stock metal pice. Ya, you're adding weight i suppose, but it'll be 20x less expensive to accomplish, and it won't require major automotive surgery :p

Keep in mind also, to remove the roof completely requires that you remove the windshield... and 50/50 shot, but most crack upon removal, which means a new windshield as well.

·
Registered
119 Posts
the ones you see on most show cars is an overlay, like Neil Tjin/Turtlewax 240sx, you cant just use a flat CF panel since a roof has a slightly domed curve to it. that one guy on here was selling CF pieces for SI sunroofs though.

they had a write up in HCI a while back, they took carbon fiber cloth and resined it directly to the roof and pillars. this is the place that did it for him.

http://www.cftype.com

·
Registered
257 Posts
jees..I am trying to remember where I have seen that yellow one before....... :wink:

·
Registered
494 Posts
I too have seen the article in HCI about the cloth. IMHO that would be the easiest route instead of taking your roof off!!

A glass roof like Mike's (cybercrxt) car is just glued in.
So, the glass roof is glued in? Not that I don't believe you, but do you have any pics that prove it? I'm curious to see how it's glued in. Ya learn something new every day!

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Ahh like johns cars I too have a all black roof.
I dunno I just like the look i guess.
If you really want the CF look why not try that CF sunroof plug that SETI mentioned?
Oh and that pic of "bumblebee tuna" looks sweet! :wink:

Oh yeah a pic of my roof...:runs off looking for a pic:
..ack! sadly if anyone has one let me know.I dont have a decent pic of my roof. :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts