Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been thinking about it for a while now well.. actually ever since i saw the back of danielle's super hot 1G it would be really nice to make the back/cargo area of my 2g look nicer. i was poking through the how to section and bumped into a thread about rebuilding the stock seats using new foam and STR seat covers for the JDM leather. i also noticed that the covers are made of faux leather or letherette which im pretty sure i can get at my local fabric store.. so i was thinking danielle's 1g looks tight with the leather cover in the back why not do it myself i mean it would be easy. i just need to get the material take the top of the lock box out of my car with the rear carpet attached to it use that as a pattern to cut out batting and the leatherette then sew the layers together using a machine i could even do quilting on it. anyways i thought i would share my idea and im sorry for jocking your 1g danielle but i really like the way that looks. if/when i do this i will try to take pics and do a writeup if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I'm interested, and am shopping around now for something similar. Here are my thoughts so far.

FWIW, I couldn't get the fabric loose from the cargo bay folding panel, there are two rivets at each point that the hinge attaches. (It's on the living room floor about 5 feet away, taunting me.)

I'm divided about keeping the divider. I ran with it folded down for 2+ years straight, and I don't have the top cover piece, so unless I replace that, it's not much use to me.

The rubber/batting piece under the carpet is shot. So that needs replacing along with the carpet section.

What I'm going to try first is one of those industrial floor mats, the ones with the rubber backing and the carpet on top, I'm looking for a 4x4+ version. I figure to use that for the carpet. I'm also looking for some textured black vinyl, I need to repair the top of the door panel, and figure if I keep the divider, I could cover it with vinyl.

What kind of batting are you looking at for this? I was looking at carpet pad the other day at lowes, thinking that might work.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well since the way i was thinking about doing it was attaching the fabric directly to the existing carpet i was going to use thick quilt batting in between. i like your idea too about the industrial matting that sounds quite nice.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Well, I failed a series of saving throws this weekend, and among other things like drive ramps and grease, I bought six square yards of black vinyl with felt backing (pretty cheap at wall mart), and a black and grey narrow rib indoor outdoor carpet (about $20) and some carpet padding.

The vinyl is mainly for the door panels, to cover the crack at the top, but I got extra in case I decided to use it in the hatch.

So far, I've cut the pad and the carpet down to fit the hatch floor, pics tomorrow more than likely. I don't think the foam by itself will hold up well, but I've got some insulating plastic that should work as a backing.

Not perfect, but good enough that now the cover to the security box and the covers to the side storage look like day old dog food in comparison.

I'm also considering whether or not just putting a coat of the rhino bed liner would work--does anyone know how flexible/crack resistant that would be on foam or fabric?

I've been having a hard time finding a floor mat--went to six stores, no joy. Lowes has one that's too small, with large ribbing, and I'm not into that so much. The funny thing is that none of the folks in the stores with such a floor mat knows where they got it. Found one online supplier, but they want over $100 for one.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bil said:
Well, I failed a series of saving throws this weekend, and among other things like drive ramps and grease, I bought six square yards of black vinyl with felt backing (pretty cheap at wall mart), and a black and grey narrow rib indoor outdoor carpet (about $20) and some carpet padding.

The vinyl is mainly for the door panels, to cover the crack at the top, but I got extra in case I decided to use it in the hatch.

So far, I've cut the pad and the carpet down to fit the hatch floor, pics tomorrow more than likely. I don't think the foam by itself will hold up well, but I've got some insulating plastic that should work as a backing.

Not perfect, but good enough that now the cover to the security box and the covers to the side storage look like day old dog food in comparison.

I'm also considering whether or not just putting a coat of the rhino bed liner would work--does anyone know how flexible/crack resistant that would be on foam or fabric?

I've been having a hard time finding a floor mat--went to six stores, no joy. Lowes has one that's too small, with large ribbing, and I'm not into that so much. The funny thing is that none of the folks in the stores with such a floor mat knows where they got it. Found one online supplier, but they want over $100 for one.
sounding good, i have priced mine out but havent had a chance to buy the materials yet might do that tomarrow... :) so if i do i will try to get it done and get pics up by the weekend anyways im glad that i have inspired other people. and i want to thank danielle again for the idea.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
andystart said:
Can't wait to see the pics ---------------- :shock:
Sounds like a neat project.
Ask, and ye shall receive (pics anyway).

All of the pic, big and small, are here:
http://wwwx.cs.unc.edu/~hays/crx/hatch/

Small pics in line....

Here's a pic of the carpet pad--this is a standard 1/4" carpet pad, cut down with scissors. I used the old carpet as the outline, and cut about 1/2" larger so I could tuck it under side plastic. I also cut it longer by 8" or so, and tucked that under the back of the security box.

Cut the indoor/outdoor with a futility knife, the same way as the pad. Cut wider than you think you need to if you do this, it's a little narrow in a couple of spots, but only about 1/8". I also cut it about 8" longer towards the security panel--that way, I was able to tuck the carpet under the back of the security panel so as to catch anything falls down there. That also leaves me enough that I can attach it to the divider if I need to.

Then I went back with sharp scissors, to trim to the exact contour. Interesting, in that the outline that the old carpet rolled over the "waist" spot just aft of the security panel. This pic shows how the extra material was tucked under the security box.

Here a view of the final fit, also you can see the new speaker covers I did this weekend.

On the way home today, I stopped at auto clone and bought a can of rubberized bed liner--the carpet has a rip stop netting on the top side, and I've sprayed the bottom with the liner. I'm hoping that will stiffen it just a bit, help it hold together, and give it a bit of grip on the hatch floor.

I'm also considering using spray contact cement to bond the carpet to the pad, but I'll try it loose for a while first. Also, if the carpet starts to unravel, I'll have to put some kind of piping/hem on the edge, or use some kind of cement to lock it down.

Now, a question I have is would it be better to try to cover the security hatch with this same carpet (which would match, obviously, but I don't know how easy it would be to mold the corners and edges), or to wrap that in black vinyl (which would be a nice contrast, but not as durable as the carpet), or dye the carpet there back to black (which I might do first, anyway, since I'm considering redying the main floor carpet anyway--recommendations for a dye would be welcome).

So there it is so far.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Great pics - looks really cool so far.
I'd try the dye first and cover with the same carpet fabric if the dye doesn't work. I think the problem with the carpet solution is going to be the edges. You'll get the carpet to lay down right if you take off the front-side edging and lay the carpet under it - it's the sides I'd worry about - Liquid Nails maybe?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
looking good i should get mine done sometime next week. i have too much going on to do it this week but i have made some time next week so hopefully by the end of next week i will have it all installed and have pics up.. probably with pics of my car as well im going to detail it soon as well :)

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
andystart said:
Great pics - looks really cool so far.
I'd try the dye first and cover with the same carpet fabric if the dye doesn't work. I think the problem with the carpet solution is going to be the edges. You'll get the carpet to lay down right if you take off the front-side edging and lay the carpet under it - it's the sides I'd worry about - Liquid Nails maybe?
Yeah, I'm not sure if it'll wrap the edges nicely, and the carpet's thick enough the lid might not close.

The divider is still sitting in the living room, taunting me. So I got to thinking....

Maybe what I should do is recover the security panel with black vinyl.

Then cover the front side of the divider with the same material. The back side of the divider is dished, so I could wrap the vinyl around the back, and then cut a piece of the carpet to fit in the dish space.

That way the divider would protect the vinyl on the security panel when the hatch is loaded, but it would look ok with the divider up.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the vinyl sounds like a good idea. and about redying the front carpet to be black i have been thinking about the same... the way i would do it is mix regular fabric dye with water and a little bit of vinegar(the vinigar softens the water slightly and helps the dye do its thing) put it all into a spray bottle and spray down the carpet, let it sit for about a week and do it again. while spraying you will probably want to use a carpet brush to agitate the carpet and make sure the dye is getting down in deep. another thing you want to make sure and do is shampoo your carpet well before dying and then once again after you have let the dye sit and set into the carpet.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well went to walmart today to pick up the batting and found this other fabric i really like so im going to use it.. its grey and almost looks like "cheap knockoff" carbon fiber so i thought why not and if something happens i will do the letherette later. anyways will get pics up as soon as i get it done :) and possibly with some during pics :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.