Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i've been having trouble deciding on what type of clutch i should replace my stock Si clutch with. Should i go with OEM or Stage 1? I plan on adding the basic bolt-ons, and i occasionally autox it. I've been thinking going with Exedy, but has anyone had experience with the ebay brand clutches (XTD, F1 Racing)? Awaitin tha feedback!

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Exedy is pretty much the standard replacement clutch, and it's a little better than stock for holding. I'm loving my ACT clutch and flywheel though. Since you're doing some bolt-ons, consider a lighter flywheel as well.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I've used Exedy's OEM replacement clutches for the last 6 years or so, and I've been nothing but happy with them. I've run them on stock CRXs and Integras, and I've had one on my autocross-only CRX, and none of them have given me any issues at all.

Exedy is the aftermarket name (or over-the-counter name, if that makes sense) that Daikin uses. Daikin happens to be the company that built the clutches originally installed in our cars at the factory. Since I've routinely seen OEM Honda clutches last 100,000 miles or more (my '91 Accord is at 193,000 miles right now, and it's still on the original clutch... although it's starting to chatter a li'l bit now), I'm going to go out on a limb and say these guys know how to build a quality piece. And their price is unbeatable; I paid $117 shipped for my last Exedy clutch kit from clutchcityonline.com. That included the clutch disk, pressure plate, pilot bearing, and alignment tool.

And from all that I've heard, the OEM clutch is designed to take 20% more torque than the engines it's fitted to - so your D16A6 with bolt-ons would have to be pushing close to 130hp before it would be in danger of overpowering the clutch. If you're just talking about light mods like intake, header, exhaust, adjustable cam gear and maybe a Stage 1 cam, you won't punish the Exedy OEM replacement with those. Turbo, maybe. Big turbo, definitely. :)

Also, since you autocross it, you have to have an eye toward the overall drivability of the car and smoothness of power delivery in tight situations. Autocross is all about finesse, and I've seen a lot of aftermarket clutches that are anything but subtle about when, where, and how they grab.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.