Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont know much but i think im having clutch problems

car goes into gear but doesnt seem to have the same amount of power... its acceleratiing slower...once when i put it into second gear today it felt like it wasnt even gonna keep the car moving then it kicked in roughly

whats wrong?

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
one test you can do is while cruising at a steady rpm, punch the gas real quick, you don't need to hold the throttle long. If the rpms climb without the car accelerating, its probably clutch related. If the engine bogs, and stays the same speed, it could be a bunch of things: cap/rotor, fuel filter, spark plugs, plugged air filter, plugged cat...

·
Registered
390 Posts
notice any clutch slipping? from the dig you will notice the rpms getting higher but it just doesnt seem like you are moving in sync with your motor. kinda like a rubberband feeling. the feeling like power isnt being distributed to the wheels but the motor is still working... could be a sign that you need a new clutch.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dohcya said:
notice any clutch slipping? from the dig you will notice the rpms getting higher but it just doesnt seem like you are moving in sync with your motor. kinda like a rubberband feeling. the feeling like power isnt being distributed to the wheels but the motor is still working... could be a sign that you need a new clutch.
thats what it feels like... feels like and sounds like the motors fine the car just isnt pulling like it should

·
Registered
953 Posts
Then its the clutch. Something not for the faint at heart. You can change it yourself but its alot of work, plus with no lift, makes the job twice as hard. If your going to replace the clutch, go with a stage 2 clutch. Its at the same as the stock clutch, but will outperforme the stock one. Also, think about getting a new flywheel. You dont need to replace it, but you can get about 10 to 15 more horsepower to the wheels by replacing it with a lighter flywheel. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
You don't need a stage 2 clutch for a mostly stock motor. The Exedy stock replacement is a little better than stock and won't cost you a lot more. Also, if you are going to get the stock flywheel lightened, you will have to have the car down while you wait for the machine shop. If you want to do that (I would recommend it) get another stock flywheel and have that lightened, and then swap it when you put it in. It's really not that bad of a job, I don't think it's worth paying a shop to do.

·
Registered
390 Posts
if you dont get the flywheel lightened, get it cleaned up by a machine shop. had mine done for 40 bucks. just ask for them to resurface it. if you change the clutch, a good replacement is the exedy "oem" replacement. do not skip getting the flywheel resurfaced. saves you troubles down the road.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im pretty sure i could borrow my moms bfs garage he has some jackstands and one of those floor jacks not sure if thats what its called but will that do for the job?

also i have no idea how to do this job but at the same im not retarded so if i could get a write up or somethin on how to do it im pretty sure i coudl do the job myself..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.