Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990 si, all stock engine. Would a cold air intake benefit me, and if so, is $40 unused a good price??

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yup...That's a good price IMO. And of course it will improve your engine. Cold air combusts better than warmer air. That helps it make more power.

-= Justin =-

·
Registered
913 Posts
You most likely won't notice a huge difference without a header and exhaust as well, but it will help your gas mileage, and you'll HEAR a difference thats for sure! With my CAI I lost torque down low, but gained up high.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
What make CAI?
For $40 that sounds like a decent deal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
most cold air intakes run $100+ so if it is in fact a CAI then $40 is awesome. I've always wondered what the difference between a ram air and a cold air intake was though, because they all looked the same. but the ram air intake is way cheaper, and can usually be found on ebay from $15+ (also is there a big difference in performance between the two?)

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
marine said:
Cold air combusts better than warmer air.
No actually, warm air combusts better since it helps vaporize the fuel, resulting in a more complete burn. You can get more power out of cold air because it's more dense. Higher density means there's more air and thus oxygen in a given volume. More oxygen means you can burn more fuel, which results in more power. There is a limit though - once intake air temperatures get below about 32°F, you will start to lose power.
Neo_ART said:
I've always wondered what the difference between a ram air and a cold air intake was though, because they all looked the same
A real ram air intake (not the e-bay junk) generally has an air scoop set up so that wind is funneled down the intake, producing a slight positive pressure. The speeds required for a noticable power gain from the ram-air effect are higher than would be reasonable on anything short of a race course.
In ebay terminology, I think cold-air intakes are long enough to reach down into the fender, where ram-air intakes simply pull warm air from the engine bay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts