Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20,274 Posts
coz said:
It cost me about $70 to make my own.

Materials:

1 - 180º bend 2.5" mandrel bent aluminized steel tubing - JCWhitney - 81zx3035n - $23.00

3 - 2- rubber sleeves with clamps (they will stretch) - Lowe's - $4.00 ea

1 - Conical Air filter - Auto Parts Store - $30.00

1 - AN fitting (for crank case vent) - Auto Parts Store - $2.00

1 - 12" length of rubber hose - Auto Parts Store - <$1.00

2 - small hose clamps - Auto Parts Store - $1.00

1 - Barstock - Lowes - $1.00

1 - can High Temp Paint - Auto Parts Store - <$4.00

Total: $64.00

Then there is the time involved. How much is your time worth?
You still got hosed. I took my short ram off (that came with my car) and replaced it with the stock airbox.

-Use stock air box
-Remove resonator box from behind the front bumper on the right side.
-dryer hose to replace the resonator box( to guide air to the intake hole)
-new filter

Way under $50 and am confident enough to say that you get the same gains from that DIY home setup as anything else.

For an intake (cold air or short ram) you're only looking at a 2-4hp gain.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I don't think you got played... its a lot less than an AEM for instance, but more than a cheapo eBay one... The biggest difference between them will be the quality of the filter being used.

Oh, and don't listen to the "dryer hose" folks... if everyone had that mentality with everything, we'd all be driving around in peices of **** with no paint, no ac, no power, nothing that looks good, and living in a beat-down trailer park somewhere in bum-fudge arkansas (no offense to peeps in arkansas, it was just the first state that popped to mind... haha!)...

Quite frankly, i personally like things to look good as well, and if that costs a little bit of extra $$, then so be it... and honestly, i wish more people felt the same way... especially about their daily drivers. I mean, if it was a dedicated race car, that'd be one thing i guess (leaning more towards the "form over function" crowd), but even full-out racecars strive to look good and well engineered, not ghetto-rigged.

·
Registered
20,274 Posts
ComposiMo said:
Oh, and don't listen to the "dryer hose" folks... if everyone had that mentality with everything, we'd all be driving around in peices of [crap] with no paint, no ac, no power, nothing that looks good, and living in a beat-down trailer park somewhere in bum-fudge arkansas (no offense to peeps in arkansas, it was just the first state that popped to mind... haha!)...

Quite frankly, i personally like things to look good as well, and if that costs a little bit of extra $$, then so be it... and honestly, i wish more people felt the same way... especially about their daily drivers. I mean, if it was a dedicated race car, that'd be one thing i guess (leaning more towards the "form over function" crowd), but even full-out racecars strive to look good and well engineered, not ghetto-rigged.
:mad2: WTF?
I used a dryer hose setup on my 5th gen hatch and i don't live in a ghetto trailer or a trailer park.
You couldn't even see it since it was tucked out of the way, behind the front bumper. It served it's purpose well and for a fraction of the cost to get the same results.
It took me one time to learn that for what you pay for a "fancy" intake, you can get pretty much the same gains from a DIY version and still have it look stock (thats right, doesn't look as good as a shiny blingin intake pipe). :lol:
But if you're going to spend the $$, spend it on something worth it, why spend it on crap like Ractive?
:rolleyes1:

Whatever, your car, your $.

·
Registered
20,274 Posts
ComposiMo said:
Yea, i figured that'd get a nice reply... :lol:
Ok sure.
But i can't see spending $ on something such as an intake when you can get the same (or similar) results from a DIY intake. I can't justify spending 100 or so bucks for 2-4hp. I like things to look good as well but if you don't see it anyway, whats the point? I don't see any problem with a well concealed, barely noticable, stock looking, DIY intake.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.