Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched for info about my problem but only one post seems to have the same one I'm having, and there was no solution in that thread. :?

So anyway...my tach has been behaving oddly since it has gotten colder out. It works fine in warm weather. Also, even when it is cold out, some days it will work normally and some days it will switch back and forth as I make my trips throughout the day.

When it is out of wack, it idles with the needle at rest on the bottom peg, once the engine is warmed up. At first cold start up, the needle is at ~500 rpm.
I usually shift around 3,000 rpm, and so I can tell what the engine is at from the exhaust note, however the tach reads about 4,100 rpms. When I accelerate more between gears, the needle speed starts out moving normally, then speeds up until I get to around 5000 rpm, then it seems to move slower like normal again.

So basically, what the heck could be wrong since it works 60% of the time? :?: Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Your coil could be going. Dizzy wire could be going out too. I'd try changing the coil from a dizzy that you know works on to yours. Thats what i did on mine and the tach hasnt givin me any problems after that.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Yea, I've had similar symptoms but mine was also a sign of a dieing alternator. I had similar problems like this last year in the start of winter. I shook it off etc and then around spring time, my lights started dimming at night. Not a lot but enough to where I could tell something was giving. Everything like the tach not staying up and the dimming happened sporadically. It never did it 'every time' I was out driving. If it is the alternator, the problem with present itself more often after time. Can't say that it is your alternator but from experience, I had the same symptoms and mine died on me... Ran the battery down one night on the interstate heh. It stunk.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Theres an easy way to check if you Alternator dieing. Take a Volt meter and see what the alternator is putting out. The car must be running for this so be careful. It should read between 13.8 to 14.2 (i think, cant find the exect number), and if its not, then its your alternator.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
as long as your alternator is in full field mode. at idle i sit at just over 12v.

i forgot all the criteria, but some are
AC on OR speed over 35mph OR rpm over 3500 i think OR ELD over 10A

i think there may be more...but if you test at idle you may get a low voltage.

[email protected]

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know about the alternator, everything else but the tach seems to work fine, and my accessories work, lights don't dim when I turn things on, etc.
Then again you never know.

I asked my boss about it and he said try lubricating the needle, sometimes a little jewel bearing or something drys out. If it was a question of friction, it makes sense that the cold weather would make it act up.

What do you guys think of that idea?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.