Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was Nov 1st, and they were already playing christmas music in the malls and the displays were all festive with christmas merchandise. It seems like every year, there's more and more commercial pressure on the consumer. This year, I'm thinking of stripping things away and keeping the gift giving a bit more simple. (and I'm making sure that everyone in my family knows this so they don't go overboard on something for me). I would much rather try to focus on sharing quality time with my friends and family than on stressing over money and the "perfect gift". I think the most perfect gift of all are the people that are important in our lives.

I don't know, this is just my rant about it. :roll:

·
Registered
67 Posts
agreed, christmas is way too much about getting the "IN" gift ya know? like furbies or tickle me elmos. Crazy moms waiting for hours and hours in line and then kicking the crap out of each other for some doll or something. Although when I was younger I was dissapointed when I didn't get something big or I got clothes, but like you said Christmas should be simple. Gifts should mean something more than the price tag.

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
This year the big thing is the new Xbox 360. They're going on ebay for $500 and over. With a little fore-sight you can take make it all work to your advantage. Like the Elmo doll a few years ago. If you can see what the next big thing is, you can buy a bunch of them and hock them on ebay and make enough cash to buy everybody nice Christmas presents...or an engine swap...or a nice big toolbox. ;)

·
Registered
164 Posts
i work in our mall and the store right across from ours put up their Christmas decor on halloween night! that's ridiculous!! it's not even thanksgiving yet people!! :roll:

·
Registered
61 Posts
MarkWilliamson said:
Remember, the day after thanksgiving is International "BUY NOTHING DAY."
Do your part; don't buy anything.
I second that! I will be staying away from any store that day...

Dan

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
if it werent for my 5 year old we wouldnt buy much. before he was born we would exchange a gift or two and we would go out on the town. dinner, movie, ride on the parkway etc....

·
Registered
247 Posts
savestheday21 said:
Although when I was younger I was dissapointed when I didn't get something big or I got clothes.
i like getting clothes for Christmas. I always get a bunch of new boxers and socks. socks suck when they have holes in them, and they usually last about a year or two for me.

this is the first Christmas i have to deal with a major girlfriend, and im at a loss on what to buy her. we agreed on a spending cap of $50, but even that i dont wanna go for. I like getting important gifts for people, but they are usually home-made.

last year i bought a picture frame, and cut a bunch of pics of myself and glued them in there and gave it to my mom. Since ive graduated from high-school, she doesnt get the yearly mug-shot anymore. This gift made her cry, and not because im ugly or anything :roll:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Stavros said:
last year i bought a picture frame, and cut a bunch of pics of myself and glued them in there and gave it to my mom. Since ive graduated from high-school, she doesnt get the yearly mug-shot anymore. This gift made her cry, and not because im ugly or anything :roll:
Sounds like a nice gift. I laughed at the last statement :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts