Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, a couple (months) ago, I had some help in here for replacing my valve stem seals, and completed that job, but the smoking only lessened and did not abate completely.

So, I'm (trying) to do a full engine rebuild. I've read everything on this forum, and my manual several times, but I've just hit the most embarrassing problem ever.

I've got a jack, and I've got jackstands, but I can't get the both of them under a jack point at the same time.

I must be missing something.

I have a nice sears 3.5 ton (craftsman) floor jack, and two fairly standard jack stands. When I jack up the car, there isn't enough room to get the stand under while the jack is still there.

I'm so clueless sometimes...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
whitey2g said:
Jack it up in the center and put the jack on the outside frame rails near the front doors
Ok maybe my hydraulic jack (sears) is lame ... If I put it under the center jack point I can't get the crx up high enough to put the stands under the side jack points with the pins though the jack stands .. have to put the extension all the way down which makes me nervous. So I end up jacking under the front LCA. Maybe I need to get new jack stands that have a lower minimum height.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,051 Posts
yes, you jack is lame if you cant reach that height.

its fine to leave the jack stands at its "lowest" height.

you can alternately put the jack stands on the front lower crossmember. like right between the bolts on each side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,813 Posts
'9445 said:
whitey2g said:
Jack it up in the center and put the jack on the outside frame rails near the front doors
Ok maybe my hydraulic jack (sears) is lame ... If I put it under the center jack point I can't get the crx up high enough to put the stands under the side jack points with the pins though the jack stands .. have to put the extension all the way down which makes me nervous. So I end up jacking under the front LCA. Maybe I need to get new jack stands that have a lower minimum height.
Just a thought in case you missed this, my jack and all the others I've seen have a threaded pole. If yours does, you can jack it up as far as it will go, put a jack stand under it, then spin out the threads making the jack longer, jack it up some more, and reset the jack stand. I do this one corner at a time so the tilt doesn't get bad. Remember tho that the higher the car is, the more unstable it is on the jack stands. I always supplement the jack stands with some else (in my case, logs).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,051 Posts
bil said:
Just a thought in case you missed this, my jack and all the others I've seen have a threaded pole. If yours does, you can jack it up as far as it will go, put a jack stand under it, then spin out the threads making the jack longer, jack it up some more, and reset the jack stand.
im having a real hard time imagining what youre talking about a "threaded pole".

got a pic?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,813 Posts
rex2nr said:
He's probably referring to a stock jack.
Nope, not stock if you mean the one with the car. I've got a small oil cylinder jack, the central rod that does the lifting is in two pieces. The core is threaded, so you can unscrew it upwards. So you place the jack on the floor, unscrew the core section until it meets the car, then close the port and lift the car.

Of course, with the crx, you can get the jack under the car at all, but I've got gravel, so I dig out a hole about 1" deep. ('
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks a ton.

I couldn't find it in haynes. Unless I'm just stupid.

But I think the question was stupid enough on its own.

So, to remove all doubt, the front cross-member is?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,051 Posts


#2, long thingy.

under the front bumper.

there is a little flat area right in the center, that is your jack point.

im suggesting in your situation, to either jack from that center point, OR from the side rocker (where youre SUPPOSED to put the jackstands) and then put the jackstands right at the end of the front crossmember, where it is bolted to the frame (around #17).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,963 Posts
I think he is talking about having a bottle jack. . . . verses the regular shop type jack. .
the bottle jack will work. . . but you really should shop around for a nice full size service jack. . . .
i one pump is nice too where when there is no load on it 1 pump will bring it right up to the frame and then you can star pumping it. . . if you have to use the bottle type jack make sure you use it somewehre solid like the front crossmember. . . . if you jack under a unibody rail or the floor or the rocker lip. . . . the small head on it will most likely go up through your floor with the weight all concentrated on that small little circle. .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,813 Posts
toxiclows said:
I think he is talking about having a bottle jack. . . . verses the regular shop type jack. .
the bottle jack will work. . . but you really should shop around for a nice full size service jack. . . .
i one pump is nice too where when there is no load on it 1 pump will bring it right up to the frame and then you can star pumping it. . . if you have to use the bottle type jack make sure you use it somewehre solid like the front crossmember. . . . if you jack under a unibody rail or the floor or the rocker lip. . . . the small head on it will most likely go up through your floor with the weight all concentrated on that small little circle. .
Yeap, that's the kind. I've only used it under the cross members or the jack points. When I get a shop, I'll go looking for a shop jack. ('
 
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top