Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
there is no chip that, out of the box, is going to increase your performance. Reprogamming your ecu is more of a personal thing, needing to be tailored to your car specifically. Plus theres not alot of gain to be had in just hcipping your car. Unlike my roomies subaru, which gained 70lbft of torque with a chip.

[email protected]

·
Registered
214 Posts
In your case the stock pm6 is good for chipping and if you get the cam that revs up to 7500rpms you will need a chip that will allow you to rev that high. You may be looking at something like a zc style ign and fuel map setup when you have an aftermarket cam. But like Matt said there is no out of the box upgrade really, every engine is a tad different.

Pgmfi.org

·
Registered
778 Posts
craiger21122 said:
I was planning to put a little work into the car, specifically the cam, intake and exhaust, as well as the ignition system. After that then I might try a chip
Stick with stock ignition unless you really want to go wild and build up the engine for high revs.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
you cant really increase the rev limit effectively without building your valvetrain. otherwise you may damage your stock components. at that point, you might as well do a head swap and get a nataraully higher reving head.

[email protected]

·
Registered
214 Posts
Crane cams has a cam for the a6 that goes to 7500rpm and it has a dash for valve float....... so all is good there. You usually put new springs in there when you do a cam anyways.

·
Registered
274 Posts
As a tuner, I would not reccomend spending money on modding an ECU for a stock motor. IMHO, it is totally worthless. Put some CAM or forced induction device after that, tuning your ECU will be mandatory.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Synoptic said:
As a tuner, I would not reccomend spending money on modding an ECU for a stock motor. IMHO, it is totally worthless. Put some CAM or forced induction device after that, tuning your ECU will be mandatory.
I am not a tuner but have heard tons of stories about "performance chips"... the latest by my nephew who dropped $235 on one for his BMW. At first, he claimed it was great (who wants to admit a $235 mistake). THen he realized his fuel mileage dropped, his engine did not run as smooth as before, and he had no proof it actually increased performance. Just wait until he tries to pass emissions. I suspect that the chip is just running him richer.

Focus on the things that will make a difference while you get an education on turboedit. You can then try tuning it yourself. By then, maybe Justin would be back from Iraq and can help out. He socketed my ECU for me and was very helpful. Great guy.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Charles said:
I am not a tuner but have heard tons of stories about "performance chips"... the latest by my nephew who dropped $235 on one for his BMW. At first, he claimed it was great (who wants to admit a $235 mistake). THen he realized his fuel mileage dropped, his engine did not run as smooth as before, and he had no proof it actually increased performance. Just wait until he tries to pass emissions. I suspect that the chip is just running him richer.
I do agree that a chip for our cars is pointless when stock. But some cars do genuinely benefit from being chipped. My friend's VW 1.8t is a perfect example. The car pulls much harder than stock and is definately much more fun to drive. Low RPM drivability didn't really change much making it easy to drive for the most part. And his fuel mileage has stayed pretty much the same.

Another car that benefits from being chipped is the Nissan 300zx. My little brother just bought one and the first thing everyone tells him to do is get an intake, exhaust, and then get it chipped.

Now I do believe the majority of the "performace" chips on the market are complete and utter crap, there are a few exceptions.

·
Registered
10,927 Posts
You can learn if you already have the ecu chipped with basically a stock bin and mess around tweaking it will let you learn how to tune. I didnt know jack crap a year ago some one helped me get a basic bin and then i just tweaked on it and now I know much more in a years time.

Gains are not going to be anything we all can agree on that with a stock motor. But also you are not going to learn anything by just staring at it. Then again if you really get it out of wack you will blow it so just forget everything i said.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.