Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
The top and bottom pics are of ball joint dust boots. They keep the grease in and dirt/grit out of the ball joints. The boot in the top pic (the steering rack end) is split and should be replaced if the joint hasn't started showing signs of wear.
As for the bushings, if there's no obvious damage (cracked, split and/or missing rubber), you need to physically move the bushing around to see if it's broken and doing something it shouldn't be. You could try wiggling the suspension around by hand and looking for free play, but to check the individual bushings, you'll probably need to disassemble the suspension.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate it. One of the things on my list is to replace ALL the bushings with OEM rubber. I figure they will quit making the parts soon and I want to refresh the suspension (and no ES poly for me).

·
Registered
276 Posts
Like bobski said, the top and bottom are of the dust boots. The top one on the tie rod does look like it needs replacing (and regreasing). The bushing you have a picture of, for the swaybar, is probably the least essential if it's cracked or worn. Check your rear trailing arm bushings (the big ones located roughly under where the gas filler neck is). When I swapped out all my bushings due to wear and noise, these were far beyond a safe state.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.