Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well heres the deal.....i'm debating on getting a crx in better condition or just fixing up the one i own......i know it will take at least $1,000 to get the body the way i want it...but i'm not gonna spend that much money and let the motor stay as old as it is....i was wondering about an engine sway and i wanted to know.....with two guys (only one of which actually knows his way around a motor haha) about how long would it take to swap out the engines.....also about how much do u think it would cost.....i'm not planning on spending a lot on a race motor or anything....i just want something that is most importantly reliable....and also faster than a stock motor...going more with reliable than speed though....i know my questions are kind of burried in that long thing but i would be very thankfull if u can help

·
Registered
276 Posts
What kind of swap? A D-series swap would be easiest, say to a ZC. Drops in where the old one did. I've swapped a few D-series engines now, and we can usually get the engine out in a couple hours and in in a couple. So, conservatively, I'd say a full day for a D-series swap, and maybe two for a more complicated swap like a B-series.

·
Registered
96 Posts
hmm. i'd be more worried about how long it would take to body the car more than the swap.

i'd recommend staying d-series too cause it'll bolt right in with stock mounts AND you get to keep your a/c. go with a zc or z6.

it's all up to you though. think it through... if the cost of your engine+bodywork+downtime is less than a better crx, then just fix your car.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I'd recommend staying with a D-series engine as well unless you have the funds for a B16 swap and all the extra parts that the B-swap entails. If you guys aren't super familiar with Honda swaps I would plan for the swap eating up a whole weekend, just because things will go wrong, be a pain in the ass, require trips to the auto parts store, etc., while time keeps marching along ;)

There's plenty of info online about these engine swaps, check out this forum, the CRX/Civic forum's FAQ on honda-tech and the ZC Resource for info. I'd personally go with either a DOHC ZC or a Z6 swap (I have a SOHC VTEC ZC that's basically a Z6, and my old CRX had a DOHC ZC, and they are both great little engines considering how cheap and easy they are to swap in.

Post questions if you have them, read as much swap information as you can scrounge up, and make sure you have the cash to do everything right (replacing the clutch while the engine is out, replace the water pump and timing belt, etc.)...doing things correctly during the swap will give you peace of mind and save you a lot of work in the long run.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.