Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a quick search to see if there was a thread dedicated to Cop questions and there wasn't. So I decided to start one. If Mark or the mods don't think its appropriate please just delete it or let it die.

So here are my questions:
1. Why do Cops always ask, "Do you know why I pulled you over"?
2. Why is it cops can do over 90 in the left lane without having their lights on? The reason I ask this question is I witnessed a cop doing at least 90 bear down and tailgate a pickup truck that was boxed in by the traffic around him. The truck driver got flustered and almost pulled in the occupied lane to his right, then he speed up and moved over. All this time the cop never had any lights on. It was dangerous and unecessary.
3. Will I get in trouble for following 4 or 5 car lengths behind a cop doing 90?

Thanks in advance for your time Mark.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Answer to #2:
They do it because they can get away with it. And no they are not supposed to. It is dangerous and stupid. No one can argue against this fact. if its not safe for regular drivers to go over 65, it isn't safe for cops to be doing it either.
I have seen plenty of high speed pursuit crashes involving the Cali CHP since my Dad is one. Speedin is always dangerous.
answer to #3:
Yes.

·
Registered
566 Posts
about the pacing a cop while they are speeding, yea, they dont like that too much :)

i did it once. seemed like a good way to get through traffic. speed limit, 65, cop was doing 80-85ish. i was following him at the same speed, but not as close as 4-5 lengths, i was further back. maybe like 10-15 lengths. after a while i guess he caught on, hit his breaks to get behind me (i let off and slowed to 65-70 so i wouldnt be speeding when he got behind me), he tailgated me, i switched lanes and he followed. he stayed there for a few minutes, probably ran my plates, and then passed me again and gave me a dirty look.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
wow :shock: ........I got maybe a third through marks post before I had to stop........I am a slow reader and I'm multi tasking so it took me for ever just to read that 1/3 of it.....but still good so I'll be back for the rest of it later.......and I like the fact that Mark doesnt minda answering all those questions........I might ask a few later but I'm gonna see if I cant find the answers by reading the rest of that long post later before I bother asking something that he;'s allready answered.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
ok Mark I have a question that I think is a new one and you haven't answered yet (I'm a little more than half way through your last post and just can't read anymore because it's taking too long and patience is not my strong suit).......can people brake check you?.....I mean if I'm following a car a little closer than I probably need too and he/she slams on their brakes and I rear end them then I know its my fault......but does that mean they are actually gonna get off with nothing even if they admit that they hit their brakes for no reason other than I was following too close?

I ask that because this morning I was following a car that was going about 10mph under the speedlimit and I was about to pass him so I was traveling a little faster than he was and closing in on his rear bumper.......and then right before I switched into the oncoming lane to pass him he hit his brakes......there was nothing infront of him and I man he hit them HARD.....if the oncoming traffic lane wasnt empty I probably would have hit him........so in short........is what he did "ok" since I'm supposed to be back far enough or is what (s)he did considered reckless op? (or something along those lines)

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Heh..

Heres another one a cop will say to you when they pull you over..
Cop: "License and registration." (And I quote exactly)
Me: while Im digging in my glove box for my reg. (May I ask what I was pulled over for?"
Cop: "Ill tell you when I get your license and registation."
Me: Im thinking damn do they have a warrent out me or something LOL.

Apparently my front tag cannot be in the windshield, as the officier explained to me, it must be fastened to the front of the vehicle.
I lost my back tag a while back somehow, so I reported one of mine lost to the DMV and they gave me new ones. And threaded bigger screwes in the back tag and, since I have no front bumper...stuck the front one in my windshield. Yay..another $25 fine.....which comes to $81.00 after court costs!! :cookoo: Just thought I'd explain the whole story...the officer was nice after he got my license.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Angry said:
Heh..

Me: while Im digging in my glove box for my reg. (May I ask what I was pulled over for?"
I got the exact same thing for "failure to signal" (in the leftmost turn only lane, where turning is the only option) when I missed a blinker wire during my wire tuck.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I like your spiel much better, make me want to be nice to you, his had me kinda worried... :shock:
I tried the whole I have my tag on my car now thing....Even showed the new registration I got when I got the new set of tags. Though this one is in a different county (diff judge) so I may try it again...

He originaly said he pulled me over because he thought I had a tail light out....But changed his mind after he brought me the ticket. Really there is just a bunch of salt on the back of my car so I understand why.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey, look at it this way at least you don't have to deal with the German Polizei. I can't speak for the entire country of Germany, but the Traffic cops around here are looking for an excuse to get the Americans. Of course that could be our own fault.

·
Registered
354 Posts
MarkWilliamson said:
Angry said:
Heh..

Apparently my front tag cannot be in the windshield, as the officier explained to me, it must be fastened to the front of the vehicle.
I lost my back tag a while back somehow, so I reported one of mine lost to the DMV and they gave me new ones. And threaded bigger screwes in the back tag and, since I have no front bumper...stuck the front one in my windshield. Yay..another $25 fine.....which comes to $81.00 after court costs!! :cookoo: Just thought I'd explain the whole story...the officer was nice after he got my license.
There is no set rule as to what cops have to say when.

I have my spiel that goes pretty much like this:

A standard MarkWillamson stops goes something like this:

Me:Good evening, I'm Deputy Williamson of the Ada County Sheriff's Office. I need your license, registration and proof of insurance. I pulled you over tonight because you only have one headlight. Were you aware that your headlight is out?
Driver: "No, sir, I wasn't. Which one?"
Me:Well, it is, the right front one.
Driver: "Can I get out and see?"
Me:No sir, I'd prefer you stay in the vehicle at this time.
(As they give me their license)

Me:Ok, Mr. Driver, I see your address on your license is 1313 Dauphine Street. Is that still your current address?
Driver: No, I moved to 1251 Overland #3.
Me: Ok, no big deal, but you are required to give notice of change of address to drver's services wiuthin 30 days of moving.
Driver: Oh, I didn't know.
Me: Yes sir. Hey, you're not driving on a suspended license, have any warrants for your arrest or been featured on America's Most Wanted or anything like that?
Driver: Not that I am aware of.
Me: Is that "No?"

Get their stuff, run all my checks and then re-approach,

Me:Ok Mr. Driver, everything looks fine. Be sure to let driver's services know you moved and get that headlight fixed. You'd be in a real pickle if your last one goes out on you. Here's your stuff back. Ok, if you want to step out now and inspect that light, it's ok. (Now is ok because I have ran the check and know who I am dealing with.)

Me:Drive safely and watch out as you pull back onto the roadway.
Now, the license-plate-in-the-windshield is great PC for a stop. Here, if you get that ticket (and I have only written one, though I have pulled over hundreds for it), if you got to court and show that you put your plate on, they might dismiss the charge.

A front license plate ticket is a "hummy" ticket, in my opinion. That said, if the first words out of your mouth when I stop you for that are "What the [potty mouth] did you pull me over for?" My answer will be "To write you a ticket for not having your front plate attached."
Very nice Mark. What is the population where you live? We're normally at 19,000, but with the methane crews and transients moving in we're up to 25 or 26 now. Sometimes its hard to get use to the population growth. I try to explain to everyone in my department that if they treat everyone like they did before the growth you'll be respected more. Especially since the increase is hispanic most of all. The increase in pop is not a reason to become an ass. Stress will do a lot to a person. I've caught myself a few times.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I've been followed by an off duty cop once. He was honking his horn, tailgating me and flashing his highbeams cause I was going under the speed limit before the winter tires were put on my moms car and it was a little bit slippery out. When he went to pass me I gave him the finger (not knowing it was a cop). Only after he saw it did I see his little arm badge.

He followed me to my house, where he ran out of his car, called me some swear words that would just get filtered. He then walked all the way up my property and said he was gonna call a cruiser on me. He was even trying to get my name so he could call me in. I felt VERY threatened and VERY displeased at the police force. After he called me an 'fing little punk kid who thinks he can do whatever he fing wants' I snapped. I should mention he was in full uniform and had his gun.

This is how it went:

Me: 'Excuse me officer, can I have your badge number?'
Him: 'Why? I don't have a badge number.'
Me: 'Wow, you don't have a badge number, can I have your police card then?'
Him: 'I don't have one either.'
Me: 'Well then, you aren't a cop. So you are now trespassing on my property, you are verbally harrasing me, you are pretending to be an officer, you are visibly carrying a gun and now I am calling the police and reporting your license plate!'

At this point I was just yelling at the cop infront of my house. As soon as I said trespassing he backed off until the sidewalk which is city property.

Him: 'F you f-er, you ain't doing anything or I'll just deny it all.'

Little did he know, my friend gets out of my car. He must of not seen him as the car had tinted windows.

My friend: 'Ya I heard the whole thing, you better leave.'
Me: 'Don't be a hero bumhole.'

He just left. I grabbed his plates and called it in. I was VERY furious that he would not give me his badge number. I am normaly a very peaceful guy. I rarely speak and I try my best to mind my own business, but this cop was talking advantage of 2 teens (me and my friend as we are younger). All the cops told me on the phone that they would look into it and if it did turn out it was true the cop would have a week suspension and a mark on his record for misusing his powers. They said they would call me back with info and they didn't, so I'm sure they didn't bother with anything.

That was the only time I've ever had a bad run in with a cop. Every other time it has been pleasant even tho they gave me fines. I don't wanna bad mouth the police, but some do take advantage of there power. I have had cops go beyond there duty to help me out in my favor. I was caught doing 59kmh over the speed limit, that's an instant suspension of license. Plus it was a residential zone, I was young and stupid. He gave me a 49 over ticket so I could keep my license as I needed it to go to school and back. When I went to go pay for it, it was reduced to a 15 over charge, so it didn't affect my insurance nor my MTO driving record. I had his name so I sent a thank you letter to him.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
thats what I thought, but she wanted me to ask.

I told her that I think if there was a cop around an incident where 911 was needed, the cop should be pre-occupied.

The question came up because she saw a black car that had slid off the road a couple nights ago... pretty far into some trees/brush, and she tried to report it. You wouldn't have seen the car from the other side of the highway

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.