Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been bragging about guys stopping me wanting to buy my car. Well today it may've come back to bite me in the butt. Today after work I pulled in the driveway and stopped at my mailbox to get my mail. While I was at the mailbox this guy comes walking up to me. He's wearing nothing but jeans, has some lame tribal tatoos. He says "Nice car. Wanna sell it?" I say "Thanks, no" He then starts in with the hard sell - I really need to sell it to him, his friends have CRX's, it's old and I should be driving something newer blah, blah. I explain I've had it for 12 years and it is not for sell. The whole time he's going around my car sizing it up. He asks me about about my wheels - "Those are 2000 Si wheels right and Yokohamas? Are they 4 X 100?" My wife just gave the wheel and tires for my birthday. I'm really getting a bad vibe from this guy. The topper, he asks "You keep it in the garage?" (everything but "Do you leave the keys in it?). I tell him "Thanks but it's still not for sale" and pull it into my garage.

It's one thing for someone to stop you at a gas station or in a parking lot and offer to buy your car. It's different when they are practically standing in your garage sizing your car up.....The guy is apparently friends with some kids that live in a rental house two down from me. I live across the street from a ballfield and all the kids friends park there then walk down to their house to party. They've never really bothered me (except for the trash they throw in the street that ends up in my yard) but this has made me nervous. My wife parks her Jeep in front of the garage door so they'd have to move it out of the way to get my car. Tell me I'm just being paranoid........

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Exactly. That would freak me out. My wife would say you're paranoid. But there's good reason! Our cars are stolen all the time! You need to make sure you have some decent security on your car. Got an alarm? Kill switch? Man, I'm freaking out and it's not even my car.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, it's definitely got me edgy. I wouldn't have thought much about if it'd looked like he could actually afford to buy my car or hadn't tried the hard sell. The no shirt, no shoes, bad tats set off my spidey sense. He didn't look like he afford to buy a shirt much less a car. My car's locked safely in the garage, my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee is parked 6" from the garage door. Other good news I live right down from the street from a police station. Police cars pass my house every fifteen minutes or so. Still all the talk about his friends owning CRX's has me nervous......

·
Registered
634 Posts
In the long term, plan on wiring in a kill-switch for the fuel pump. For right now, even in the garage, I'd say pull a starter fuse or the ECU fuse from the fusebox under the hood, or disconnect the negative cable from the battery - just something so it won't start!

It won't help if he's got a tow truck, but I'll bet he doesn't...

Mike

·
Registered
78 Posts
If he keeps it in the garage, even if he does have a towtruck it isn't going to help him much!
But yeah, anti-theft goodies would be a good idea.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i would be paranoid as well. **** i'm paranoid all the time without some guy coming up to me!!

i would feel pretty safe with the car in the garage. but i would make sure i watch my tail when leaving the house. to go to a store, to work, family, etc....

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I hate it when people show too much interest in my belongings. A few weeks back I had some kid message me on another forum and he started listing off all the parts I have on my car. "Hey man, you're from <<insert residential address here>>. Yours is the CRX with the ITR steering wheel, and the Neuspeed springs and the...etc etc". And then this same kid stops by my house unannounced...not knowing that I'm watching his every move. He spends like 5 mins walking around my car and looking in the windows. When I approached him and asked him what his deal was, he started trying to act like he was my best friend...as if he had known me for years. I brushed him off as gently as I could...fully aware that I have no idea what this weirdo is capable of if I damage his frail little lonely ego. Luckily, I haven't heard from him since...so I think he found someone else to bother. But I did have a few restless nights wondering if my car was a target. It's not a good feeling...you just gotta take all the precautions that you can.

·
Registered
247 Posts
buy a big dog... then dont feed it...

no thats mean, feed it but let it sleep in the car when you have it parked at your house. dirty seats and smelly... but at least the car is still yours :p

hey sticky, was the kid who checked your car out a skin-head? cuz one time this kid was walking down my street (skin-head with baggy jeans and an over-sized hoody) and he struts on up to my car looking around all sketchy. My dad was watching him from the kitchen window and approaches him as he pulls out a large flat-head screw-driver trying to get at my after-market head-lights. buddy is like: "uh... nice car... real nice... " as he backs down my driveway and makes like a tree and gets the F*** outta there (my dad is scary) So if you find skin-heads looking a little too close... make sure you look at them a little too close too.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Hey Stavros. Nope, he didn't look like that. But both mine and my gf's CRX's have had the locks screw-drivered in the last year... Probably a safe bet that it's the same dude if that's his tool of choice. When did this happen?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ti Rider said:
...his friends have CRX's, it's old and I should be driving something newer blah, blah. I explain I've had it for 12 years and it is not for sell. The whole time he's going around my car sizing it up. He asks me about about my wheels - "Those are 2000 Si wheels right and Yokohamas? Are they 4 X 100?"
Hmm. Sounds like he's shopping for someone else, and been given some specifics to identify your car.

Be paranoid. Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
It wasn't as creepy, but I had a dude come up to my house (on 4.5 acres with neighbors spaced far apart) and ask if I wanted to sell my car. He wanted to know "all I had done to it". I just told him it was stock and had some issues but I kept it out of sentimental value. I took down his license plate as he left. I really need to get a fence up around my property. At least I have a pager alarm and a hidden kill switch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts