Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could have swore I could only fit 5 1/4 in the doors and rear speaker plates (OEM) but here's the quote from Crutchfield's website:
1990 Honda CRX Hatchback
Aftermarket Stereo Installed [change] Factory replacement info:
In-dash stereo - 7" depth; Size code E
Front speakers - Front Door : 6-1/2"
Far rear speakers - Rear Seat Side Panels : 6-1/2"
So what do you have in there, 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 ?

My old CRX had 5 1/4 Poineer 2-way coaxials in all 4 corners and sounded pretty good. not overly loud or anything, but good enough for a daily commute.

I've been out of the audio scene for a LONG time now, and haven't a clue what brands are good or junk. Can anyone recommend some decient speakers to run off a factory radio?

OR can you recommend a decient brand of headunit? Something that has an iPod/mp3player headhone like jack in the face would be cool, I could save on space with my MP3 player instead of a mess of CDs. The cheaper(less expensive, not cheaply made) the better. And as if I'm not picky enough, I prefer an all black head unit, the less lights or chrome the better it hides in the factory dash location.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,813 Posts
Mine's an 88 si, and it's got 6.5 in the back and only 5.5 in the front, so you may be thinking of a different year.

Sounds like you're about where I'm at in terms of what you're looking.

FWIW, I just put in couple of ks60 kickers in the back, and I'm happy with them coming off of an old 50 watt power amp. I think I paid $80 for the pair, but of course now I want to replace the front speakers.

For a head I got a pioneer deh 1900mp, that's a 50 watt peak, and I think 22 RMS. It's got one preamp out, but no support for a sub. Basically 3 band of eq, and two loudness settings. I'm running the fronts out of the head. It's got an aux in on the front, works well with my pod, and costs about $100. It's pretty conservative in appearance, at least compared to most units out there. You can see the unit at http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Pion...70131/catOid/-13089/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Of course, it's not as loud as a 2.5KW rig that one might put in a crx, but I'm not sure I want a car's main purpose to be acting as a gennie for a portable stereo. (' It is loud enough at highway speed for me with the windows down and the sunroof open.

But if you want something really subtle, I can cut you a good deal on my old head--the lcd doesn't glow _at_all_. And I've still got the manual, which you'll need since you can't get feedback from the display. Cut you a deal on the radio slack speakers I pulled, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I've got a OEM radio coming, so I won't be running any sort of amps.

If I don't get the OEM one, I think I'll do just fine with some sort of old fashioned player (all black, NO CHROME) with a single full-range pre-amp output. I can run a set of RCAs to the amp that has a built in crossover and into a single 12" sub. Then run a set of 3 way 6 1/2s up front and a set of 2-way 6 1/2 in the rear off of the deck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,813 Posts
mithuth said:
I think I've got a OEM radio coming, so I won't be running any sort of amps.

If I don't get the OEM one, I think I'll do just fine with some sort of old fashioned player (all black, NO CHROME) with a single full-range pre-amp output. I can run a set of RCAs to the amp that has a built in crossover and into a single 12" sub. Then run a set of 3 way 6 1/2s up front and a set of 2-way 6 1/2 in the rear off of the deck.
Sounds good. Problem I had was finding a simple head with the aux in--having the ipod in the car is _much_ better than carrying discs or cassettes (I used to have a half dozen cassette boxen with 20 each with different arrangements for trips). I bought a griffin roadtrip, which gives a decent support stalk and radio out, but the radio out doesn't sound nearly as good as having a direct in. You can patch an ipod directly to the power amp, but the gain is pretty low.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bil said:
Sounds good. Problem I had was finding a simple head with the aux in--having the ipod in the car is _much_ better than carrying discs or cassettes
Vouch!

I want the OEM look, so for $5, I'll take the OEM tape deck that was offered to me. In the mean time, I'll hunt for an AM/FM tuner (cd or tape optional) with an aux jack for my mp3 player/laptop to jack into.

I was saying to the Crutchfield rep I was talking to, I am shocked none of the big brand companies haven't reliease an AM/FM reciever with no CD or tape deck, just a plain old AM/FM radio with an aux jack and sell it real cheap.

I'd be as giddy and giggly as a school girl if I could find a head unit with AM/FM, AUx jack, and RCA pre-amp outputs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,813 Posts
mithuth said:
What does a vampire say when he stubs his toe?

mithuth said:
I want the OEM look, so for $5, I'll take the OEM tape deck that was offered to me. In the mean time, I'll hunt for an AM/FM tuner (cd or tape optional) with an aux jack for my mp3 player/laptop to jack into.

I was saying to the Crutchfield rep I was talking to, I am shocked none of the big brand companies haven't reliease an AM/FM reciever with no CD or tape deck, just a plain old AM/FM radio with an aux jack and sell it real cheap.

I'd be as giddy and giggly as a school girl if I could find a head unit with AM/FM, AUx jack, and RCA pre-amp outputs.
Good luck on finding that. Until you get something else, those cassette interfaces to the pod aren't too bad, that's what I use in my truck.

Now if I can figure out a clean way to mount the pod in the rex so I don't have to keep moving the road trip.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bil said:
Now if I can figure out a clean way to mount the pod in the rex so I don't have to keep moving the road trip.....
I'm planning to mount one of those adjustable cell phone holders to hold my mp3 player. i'm not sure what the iPod has for side buttons, it may or may not work for you also.

Something like this:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,813 Posts
I'm planning to mount one of those adjustable cell phone holders to hold my mp3 player. i'm not sure what the iPod has for side buttons, it may or may not work for you also.
[/quote]

Interesting. The road trip's pretty similar, but the stalk sticks in the cigarette lighter. The pod doesn't have buttons on the sides at all.



Griffin also makes a remote, I've got that strapped to the brake handle.

I was thinking along the lines of a goose neck with a bracket to the seat bolt--the original owner of my car had one for his sony discman, it was pretty nice in that it provided shock protection, and you could move it around depend on if you were alone in the car, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess since the information I was seeking has been answered, going off topic now is ok... lol.

I'm enjoying this ipod conversation. hehe.

I have a non iPod brand mp3 player, so a generic universal mount is best for me. If you got the actual iPod, I'd get the one you posted. keeping it charged would help a TON. lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,813 Posts
mithuth said:
I guess since the information I was seeking has been answered, going off topic now is ok... lol.

I'm enjoying this ipod conversation. hehe.
moi aussi, bis später!

I have a non iPod brand mp3 player, so a generic universal mount is best for me. If you got the actual iPod, I'd get the one you posted. keeping it charged would help a TON. lol.
Got one, and the road trip, but I've got two cars and a truck. That bracket does look nice, I'll keep it in mind, thanks!
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top