1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Interesting. I guess a single motor through the stock transmission is nice and simple, but wouldn't mounting a brushless motor to each steering knuckle, eliminating the transmission all together, be more efficient? You could do a 4wd 2nd gen using wagon rear arms that way... It would even simulate the effects of a limited slip.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Thats awesome!
I decided that if I will get a new / different car for myself, it will be a full electric plug in. (I will keep my crx ofcourse) There have been more of these built lately. Hopefuly the car makers will start to make some good alternatives. Anyone seen "Who Killed the Electric Car"?

Another good movie to watch is, "Freedom to Fascism". You can see this movie for free on google video. Highly recommended for everyone! I should probably make another thread about this....

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Andrey, please don't buy pure electric? They cause more pollution than gasoline engines. Why? Efficiency. Somethign like 50% of electricity produced is by burning coal. So instead of combusting gasoline to extract mechanical energy directly you would be combusting coal to extract mechanical and heat energy to make electrical energy, which you have to convery again to make mechanical energy.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Yeah... A more efficient storage medium (current battery designs release many times less energy than it takes to charge them) and/or alternative energy sources such as solar would help alot. As is, a small generator to be used if you run the batteries dead would be a good addition to any electric car design.
That brings to mind... Where do electric cars get heat for the HVAC system? Wouldn't an electric heater draw alot of power?

Man... I'm all over the place tonight.

·
Registered
779 Posts
For one, you can't hook up an engine directly to the car, you need a transmission to utilize low RPMs of the engine. Most electric engines with high efficiency rev to 3750rpm. We are buying one that revs to 8000rpm. Putting it in a Ferio.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
There was a company in the mid 90's that was buying and converting second gen's into electric cars. I remembering reading about in Popular Science. They used CRX's exclusively because of their light weight and the hatch area was used as space for the batteries. It was kind of the Honda Insight before there was an Insight.....

Apparently they're still around - Electric CRX

Cool DIY electric CRX conversion site - AC RX

·
Registered
541 Posts
Thanks for the replies.
I understand that just because the car is electric it does not mean that its clean. There are many arguments / studies around on this issue. It is true that if the electricity is coming from coal, the benefits are minute. Electricity producers have a choice of where to get the energy. Gasoline - no choice. So if there were many electric cars on the road and gas / oil was 3X more expensive, electricity may start to be more solar or wind based.
As far as the technology not being here yet - here it is. Its a small car that runs on electricity. There are many faults, but this is it. They will get much better, but for now, this is it.

Did you guys check out the other cars on that site?
"Also available with Obvio !'s "HIGHPOWERSERIES" 170 and 250 HP engines" in a 1400 pound car! - http://www.zapworld.com/ZAPWorld.aspx?id=308

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The only problem with these is there is no range on them. There good for you avg trip to work or something but would never get you to the N Meet. :lol: :lol: Which by the way, im looking forward for.

·
Registered
289 Posts
jmart said:
Andrey, please don't buy pure electric? They cause more pollution than gasoline engines. Why? Efficiency. Somethign like 50% of electricity produced is by burning coal. So instead of combusting gasoline to extract mechanical energy directly you would be combusting coal to extract mechanical and heat energy to make electrical energy, which you have to convery again to make mechanical energy.
So, pay extra on your electric bill like I do so my utility buys kWh of wind power to cover my consumption. Don't loose sight of the fact that the thermodynamic efficiency of a power plant can be much better than a gasoline engine even at it's peak efficiency though (up to 46% for gas turbine plant vs 25-30% for car engine). The page on this topic for the Tesla (http://www.teslamotors.com/learn_more/energy_efficiency.php or http://www.teslamotors.com/display_data/21stCentElectricCar.pdf for more detail) is probably optimistic (they're trying to sell something after all) but interesting to read.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Dodo said:
The only problem with these is there is no range on them. There good for you avg trip to work or something but would never get you to the N Meet.
Yeah... A second car would be neccessary for long trips. But even for commuting, an electric car would need a small gas generator as a backup power source before I would seriously consider it. If some unexpected situation comes up, I wouldn't want the limited milage to prevent me from dealing with it without driving home to get the other car first.
Using the generator to recharge the batteries would be highly inefficient, so the generator would simply take over for the batteries and drive the motors. Without a direct tie to the wheels, the engine could be tuned to operate at a fixed RPM for max efficiency... Basicly a scaled down version of the setup found in train locomotives. The only on-the-road battery charging would come from braking.
I guess that would really be a hybrid with a heavy emphasis on electric power usage, but given current technology, it would be a good comprimise IMO.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I thought it through and decided that it does not make financial sense. My fuel costs are under $1k per year.
Ended up getting one of these instead -
http://urbanscooters.com/P/Electric-Bik ... uiser.html

I love the way it looks. Almost can't tell that its electric!
Also, got a SUPER deal on ebay. The same bike, new in box, for 665 shipped. The cheapest anywhere is $950. The manufacturer lists it at like $1300. Hopefully its not a scam. The seller has a good feedback rating and has sold several electric bikes. It was an interesting auction. The start bid was 550 with a 650 buy it now price with no bids. I was going to wait it out til the end and try to save $100, but later decided that the $100 gain is not worth the $300 risk and bought it.
I'll probably start a new thread when I recieve it.
I am so excited! A new toy! :lol:

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Better get a good lock.
48 lbs though... That's about 2.5x what a comparably priced road bike weighs. I hope you don't plan on pedaling up hill. The designers could have had better range, higher top speed and/or less weight by going with LiIon or LiPo batteries. I guess that would have tacked even more onto the already heafty price tag.
Sorry to rain on your parade, but isn't the point of riding a bike that it's good for you and doesn't use any fuel/energy besides what you put into it with the pedals? A used motorcycle would probably be a more practical choice. Small displacement bikes generally get 70+ mpg.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Bobski:
Here is a little background before I reply to your post.
75% of my driving is from home to work (7 miles each way), home to visit my parents (13 miles each way), and home to the pool (2 miles each way). At the moment, I ride my bike to work 1 to 3 times a week. I cannot seem to get myself to ride more often. Always make excuses, and sometimes I am just sore from the previous day's ride or other exercise. I would like to eliminate most of my driving. To reduce dependence on my car, oil, ways US gets oil.... Also, $, fun, exercise, and to be different (in our company, out of 1500 people, only 3 ride bikes to work).

Now I will reply to your post. I will just list my replies:

- re lock - I will not be leaving my bike anywhere it can get stolen

- re bike weight - my current bike weighs about 30 lbs. With me, thats about 180 lbs. The new bike = 48 lbs + me = 200 lbs. About a 12% increase. To me, thats not too much. Especially with the added power of the motor.

- going up hills - I live in a valley = very gradual hills

- LiIon / LiPo batteries - just like you said, expensive. If you look around at the electric bikes, the NiMH batteries are actually the "new technology" in these bikes. They used / use regular lead acid ones.

- already hefty price tag - you're right, its not cheap. But compared to other alternatives (the electric cars above, motorcycle...) its pretty cheap. Also, the bike will pay for itself in under 2 years.

- biking being good for you and not using any energy - you're absolutely right on this one also. Keep in mind that this bike can be used as a normal bike (no assist) / with some assist / or full electric. I am pretty sure that it will use much less energy than my car or a motorcycle. Also, I can charge it at work = free.

- motorcycle - had one, broke a leg, won't ride one again. Too dangerous in my mind. Before you say that the bicycle is dangerous too, 80% of my riding is on a dedicated bike path completely separated from cars.

So in conclusion, the bike may not be right for you, but its is perfect for me (I think). I will update when I get the bike and do some riding.
What a long post! Probably my longest one here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.