Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forums but not CRXs, currently on #5 & 6. So I had a deal to buy a restored '91 Si with 50K but he backed out after agreeing to sell. I can't really blame him the car is awesome. Anyways I decided to start working on my '90 DX I bought almost 2 years ago(105K) but just never did anything until tonight. I took the first step by ordering a B16B complete changeover with all hasport mounts, linkage, axles, brackets & hyrdo conversion from hmotorsonline.com. Thx Steve, appreciate all the help answering my many questions & for the great service.

This forum has awesome info I'm using to help me plan the many, many things I have to look forward to do. I hope to help contribute any info I have along the way and here she sits at the start of her journey.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Working on sourcing pedal assembly right now. Yeah I can't wait to be able to shift again. I figured if I order the motor first that gives me the swift kick in %$% I need to get started :lol:

First on the agenda is:
-Remove all suspension & brake components to powdercoat
-new OEM bushings
-Redo undercoating, contemplating undercoating engine bay
-strip interior & exterior trim pieces so I can inspect, find & repair any rust.( she had to see 2 midwest winters :cry: ) so she has rust that has crept out.
-Rear disc conversion
-Gauge cluster swap

·
Registered
679 Posts
Your CRX looks amazing!

But one question, why OEM bushings? I know the lower control arm bushing will go bad after about a year of driving on them with a B-series... It happened to me twice before I bought Energy Suspension bushings. Then there is the trailing arm bushings, they will go back after about 2 years of normal driving. Those are the only two bushings that I would recommend not going with OEM, and doing the stiffer bushings wont hurt how it rides or drives it will only improve it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Glad to know your really researching this. I know everyone has different experiences with things, so read as much as you can and I hope what you chose works out great for you!

P.S. what traction bar are you going with?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, busy week with ordering parts. Here's whats on the way:

-B16B w/all hasport mounts, linkage, axles, brackets & hyrdo conversion from hmotorsonline.com(ordered last week)
-JDM 88-91 Sir (EF8/9) Gauge Cluster
-EF8/9 Rear Disc Conversion
-Mishimoto Aluminum radiator, fan shroud, thermostat, switch & hose kit for B16 swap
-Exedy Stage 1 Organic cluch w/ racing flywheel
-ARP pressure plate bolts
-Mugen front lower arm, front radius and rear trailing hard bushings
-Energy Suspension everything else except what comes with new suspension components
-Blox rear toe-kit
-AEM Hybrid cold air w/bypass valve
-Cometic top end & bottom end gasket kits
-Skunk2 magnetic drain plugs, mega power exhaust, front camber kit, rear camber kits, rear lower arm bar, shift knob, cam seals & single bend short throw shifter
-OEM timing belt, water pump, integra m/t pedal assembly, clutch cable, 2040 proportioning valve, clutch release bearings & clutch pilot bearing
-Royal Purple oil filter, crank oil & synthetic m/t oil
-Locash racing OBD0 to OBD2A ecu adapter

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well got the motor out today and everything went pretty smooth. Now patiently waiting for more parts & especially new motor :D Hopefully tomorrow or Sunday will get all suspension components removed for powdercoating. I'm thinking of using Por 15 rubberized undercoating for engine bay, not sure if it will hold up there. Awaiting email response from Por15 for that answer.

No more automatic 8)

Almost ready.

All hooked.

And she's out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
"-Redo undercoating, contemplating undercoating engine bay"

We did this to my cousin's crx. He has owned the car since 1993, it sat for 9 years in his garage and when we just got it back on the road we used the same undercoat that we used when fixing some of underneath the car..... It did NOT turn out as good as we were hoping.

Also you can find my thread from my white si a few years ago that I picked up. It had undercoat sprayed on it years back and it was NASTY, that is one main reason I didn't fix the rust issues and build the car.

I would advise against doing this, my best friend just had his Tahatian Green Si engine bay resprayed. I will try to get pictures. It was a lot more work than the others, but well worth it.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
holy (crude) man. i ordered stuff as i went. lol. i did about the same thing though. i have an obd0 b16a with a few bolt ons.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
si2see said:
"-Redo undercoating, contemplating undercoating engine bay"

We did this to my cousin's crx. He has owned the car since 1993, it sat for 9 years in his garage and when we just got it back on the road we used the same undercoat that we used when fixing some of underneath the car..... It did NOT turn out as good as we were hoping.

Also you can find my thread from my white si a few years ago that I picked up. It had undercoat sprayed on it years back and it was NASTY, that is one main reason I didn't fix the rust issues and build the car.

I would advise against doing this, my best friend just had his Tahatian Green Si engine bay resprayed. I will try to get pictures. It was a lot more work than the others, but well worth it.
Thx for the input. What kind of undercoating was reapplied? I've been thinking now of using the chassis coat from por15 over a coat of por15 for engine bay. See I won't be able to do new paint & other bodywork until late spring or early summer. I want to take care of the engine bay while motor is out and get as much as I can until I start my new job on April 2.

mugendreamsickle said:
holy (crude) man. i ordered stuff as i went. lol. i did about the same thing though. i have an obd0 b16a with a few bolt ons.
Well since the deal i had to buy a "mint" '91 CRX Si fell thru, I had a little money saved up. So its been fun & sometimes frustrating ordering what parts I need.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The stuff we used recently on the crx we brought back to life was not anything nice like a por-15 it was spray can undercoat, hell almost like a truck bed liner. It did not turn out good under the hood although it did turn out ok where it was supposed to go. His deal was like yours, this car had been in his garage since we blew it up in 1999 at dinwiddie motorsports park. Under the hood was painted baby blue way before people started doing the different color engine bays... Since he never finished the car and now needs it to daily drive for his 50 mile commute each way to work, he did not like having the engine bay baby blue and the rest of the car not finished so he tried the undercoat. I Do Not like it, and unless someone shows me different I would not advise doing it.

The 1990 crx si that I bought with it already done , you can find my showroom thread right about yours here. I don't know if I have any engine bay pictures anywhere but I hesitantly bought the car thinking I'm sure someone to get it off there. Well the only way I could find anyone to take it all off was going to be pull everything and redo/paint the whole engine bay. I decided to sell the car.

Just don't do it until you are sure, or someone proves me wrong. I would like to be wrong in this case but I do not want you messing up such a nice car. Jason

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Appreciate your input Jason and just got off the phone with someone at Por15. They advised against using undercoat in engine bay but said their chassis coat would do jut fine. So the plan is 2 coats of Por15 topped with couple coats of their chassis coat for engine bay. I have also decided against powdercoating for budget reason and Por15 with chassis coat for suspension components.

Today got more goods from UPS man and yesterday got some more interior pieces painted. Only thing left to change from blue to black is door panels, dash and carpet.

1 - 20 of 266 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.