Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where's it at? I think it would be a great addition. Also a good opprotunity for our crx's to interact and talk to each other via chat live.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
I tried making an AIM chat last year, but there weren't nearly as many members. If we start one, and at least one person is always in it, it will keep going. Another option would be to have an IRC channel. The problem with both of those is that not everyone uses AIM, fewer use IRC.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
downest said:
I tried making an AIM chat last year, but there weren't nearly as many members. If we start one, and at least one person is always in it, it will keep going. Another option would be to have an IRC channel. The problem with both of those is that not everyone uses AIM, fewer use IRC.
Well there are web based javas where people have to click a link and they join the irc chat via the webbrowser. I just don't know the resources to get the java stuff for it done. Someone should!

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
It is something i've looked into, but on a LOT of other sites i'm on, its a neat novelty for a short time, but after a little while, no one winds up using it.

Also, any valuable content or discussion is lost forever... if the similar discussions were carried out in the forum, the data could be retained for future use.

It is still something i'm looking into adding, but there are a few other mods to the forum that i'm thinking will be way better and more useful than a chat applet.

Always open to thoughts and opinions though, so let me know what y'all are thinking :)

Oh, by the way, this should be in the "Feedback Forum", so i'm moving it there 8)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah yes thats my mistake! I knew there was forum for this kinda thing :p

Anyways if it doesnt use too much bandwidth or anything then it should be too much of a problem right?

Id be willing to host it if need be. I just thought it would be a cool addition. I know Id be in there a bunch. Even if it did fade away it would still be good for a while bringing the community that much closer together.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
John, I understand that you don't want to lose the content in the chat. If that's all that's keeping you from it, we could find a solution. I could go through it each day and make an article/post about the good tech in it and post in the appropriate forum, so it wouldn't be lost. Also I (and others I'm sure) would probably connect VIA IRC and just leave it logged in on another box like my file server, so I could keep logs of the thing.

I think it could be a good idea, I know I personally talk to a lot of members here on AIM daily.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
The bandwidth is not the worry, i've got plenty of that to go around... i just don't want it to become a dead feature in a month that no one uses... also, yes, the content archiving is something also on my mind.

The biggest thing about that, is that i don't mind if someone goes through and makes a tech post about it, but lets be honest, how long will that last for before someone gets very tired of doing all of that? lol!

There is no need for an off-server chat room... there are several different ones that i can easily add to the server here.

Lets see how many more people comment to this thread, and maybe by the end of the week, i can try to get something online ;)

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
+1 for a chat applet. please...
I'd use it.I remember fun chats on the "other source". :wink:

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ollie said:
+1 for a chat applet. please...
I'd use it.I remember fun chats on the "other source". :wink:
Yea it doesn't really have to be scrapped because of lose of info, more of a place to screw around and meet your fellow owners.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
SETI20 said:
aaawwwww I still wuv woe Jeffwey! :twisted:
:lol: :lol:

on the chat room idea, I don't think it's needed. After all there are so many ways to get in touch if you really want to: email, an instant messenger program, post on here, pm, hell if you have nationwide long distance on your cell phone, ask for a phone# and call a member up if you need help that bad.

a chat room would be cool, but couldn't we just open up a crx chat room on yahoo or some other chat site? It has been ages since I've used chat rooms.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
a computer web site that I used to frequent used to use IRC chat or yahoo chat would work as well. . . another crx board had a chat and it was not the most used thing in the world.. . but i DO think that the chat room somewhere would be a good idea. . .

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Are there any developments from the mod staff about this idea? I would really like something like this to be implemented.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.