Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well for those who saw my other posts about my rapid prototyping projects you might rememebr my design for a cupholder. Well It's finished...Kinda. It fits perfectly the way I wanted it to, but I goofed on the diameter of the hole for the cup. Its a tad bit to small. Its ok though because there are few things I wanted to change anyway like how the cup or drink mounts inside the holder. But heres the parts for your viewing pleaseur along with some of my CRX center caps for my rota's. It needs to be sanded and painted then I need to make 3 more for a whole set.. let me know what you think. Or any suggestions you may have.

Support material removed and piece form the old ashtray added.

In the car..Like it was meant to be there.

And some bad pics of the center cap. I'll post up some finshed pics when I'm done with it..

-James-

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah once its completely finished and I can find a manufacturer it will happen. Right now Its in the early stages of development. There are alot of things I didn't consider when I designed this one. But thats what the prototyping process is about..

-James-

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Genius! Very nice job. Is there enough room for a cup with the shifter and everything? I like it a lot, and it seems to fit perfectly. Awesome.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Awesome man. I was thinking about cup holders a bit myself. Did you do that on a stereolithography machine? I wonder if it'd be worth milling some blanks and injection molding some of those. The overall shape in a fairly simple one, so blanks wouldn't be that expensive. Caps look killer too. I should make some for my teg ls rims.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah there is plenty of room between the shifter in 1st...

No chance of these fitting on the stock Si's. But that gives me an idea :twisted:

It was made using a Fused depositon method. Like a Steriolythography machine just it lays down a solid.. in this case palstic instead of using a liquid resin which is then hardened. The machine we used lays down strips of melted plastic which cool instantly creating each layer at a time.

Sorry to dissapoint but this is far from being finished. I've been making sketches all day of new designs for it that will make it much better. This was just a first attempt and like any prototype I ave learned alot and realized a few things that need ot be changed. When I get some nice solid models made I'll put them up.

-James-

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
stickershop said:
Do you use a 3D scanner to get the starting template into the computer for these designs?
No I took measurements off the stock ashtray and created the 3D model in AutoCAD/Inventor. You can make anything in these machines aslong as it can be made in a 3D modeling program. If you had a 3D scanner you could do it that way aswell. Then just convert the 3D file into an STL (steriolythography) file. Its the same file that CAT scans make. It just converts the 3D image into crossections or layers which it prints 1 at a time. Mentioning CAT scans if anyone had a CAT scan and got the file you could print out a 3D image of your Brain or whatever was examined.

Downset do you mean the stock crx Si wheels or the 99-00 civic Si wheels. I do believe that the center caps might work in both the HX's or civic Si's.
-James-

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
What do you need to know to make them fit the HXs? I have access to a rapid prototying machine at school too, I just don't know how to use it. I really like those caps though, are you going to be making more (I'm sure everyone on HT has pm'ed you already!).

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
James:
You know I'm down for a cupholder asy.
Just give me a price bro...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.