Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This write up is a way for me to say THANK YOU to the CRX COMMUNITY!

I will try to be as descriptive as i can, but if you have any questions just ask and i"ll check it daily to answer your questions.
Cost: cup holder: $7 + plastic welder (kragen) $6.50 + Matte clear coat (homedepot) $3.77= $17.27
STEP 1: Go to a junk yard like piknpull, and pull from the 1990-1992 Ford Taurus cup/coin holder.
The cup/coin holder is easy to spot because of it's 4 circles

Optional: Once you get home. Clean it throughly, and if you want paint it, or go to home depo and get "Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Matte Clear" sku # i think is 020066187446. and just spray this clear coat on it, and it will give you a OEM look, it doesn't look like the shinny cheap clear coats!
STEP 2: First disassemble the center console. There are 6 screws holding the center piece that covers the shift knob + radio/climate control. (don't forget the one you can access by opening the glove compartment)

STEP 3: Take out the CRX Radio center console.

STEP 4: prepare the Tauru's Cup holder.
STEP 5: cut the back pieces that are pointy and line them up with the back straight line.

cut them evenly, i first thought the left was not going to fit, and then i realized you don't have to do any cutting, just line it up like the one on the right

Cut the little plastic rectangle at the bottom off

this is how it looks cut, make it flat

Now you see the little teeth on each side?

Cut them off!

Also cut off the little sneaky teeth at the botthom, there is one on each side. When you cut them off it should look like this:

These are the measurements of the Taurus' cup holder

STEP 6: Now measure these distance right below the opening for the radio, the more precise your measurements the better is going to look, the perfect measurement=perfect fit.
I used this tool to cut the plastic, i was lucky to have a friend that has it, if you have it cool, if you don't just use a very sharp knife/cutter and your stove and you'll be able to do it.

STEP 7: Now is cut time: Cut the top first. (you can cut in any order, but i'll show the way i cut)

Almost perfet :(

STEP 8: Cut the bottom, DO NOT MEASURE THE 2" INCHES OF HEIGHT!!! meausure a 1/16" of an inch less, because the little saw will compensate for the difference. Now the saw won't cut through all the way, because there are little plastic part that are long for the purpose of reinforcement, we will deal with them later, dont cut them up all the way because we want the piece to be strong as a whole.

STEP 9: now cut the sides! this is a little tricky you are going to cut the back of the CRX Radio console off, dont forget to measure!!! the pictures will describe what i mean

STEP 10: Now the part by the cigarret lighter is a bit tricky... Remove the CRX Coin holder there are 3 screws , 2 at the top and one in the back

the one in the back

this is how it looks removed

oh yeah, dont forget to carefully remove the little lightbulb, you'll see what im talking about
STEP 11: Now let's finish cutting the bottom. I have a picture of plyers, but don't use them, this is when i thought of a better idea...

i used a hot knife to finish cutting the bottom, is hella easy with the knife, so just heat it up until is hella red, and cut two to three pieces at the time, becareful, this sh** is hot!!

When you are done this is how it should look like: Front

this is what you should of cut off:

side view:

STEP 12: After i cutted, i measure the Taurus' cup holder in, it was a perfect fit, i recommend you measure it, however DO NOT put it in all the way, or you will break the CRX Radio console, like i did, so i had to repaired that ass well, DO NOT PUSH IT PASS THE point of the metal pieces of the taurus's cup holder

The following steps are optional, but i would HIGHLY RECOMMEND them and you will end up with super sturdy Custom CRX Console!
STEP 13: Get some plastic welder, i recommend the one you have to mix yourself, just trust me i dont feel like listing my reasons.

STEP 14: Get a lot of rubber bands ready or anything you can wrap around the cup holder that will deliver some tension, Put a lot of plastic welder on the left an right "ears"

STEP 15: Slide the Taurus's cup holder in and it should go in with ease (since you measured and did a "test" before the walding right?!). Wrap the rubber bands around so that the "ears" are in full contact with the your BRAND SPANKING NEW CUP HOLDER! wait for like 1-2 hrs! for full cure, go eat and clean the inside of your baby REX, or your monster REX!

Cost: $17.27
Benefit: F***NG PRICELESS!!!

ON 3rd gear!!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Very nice!

I don't usually mention this type of thing, but I have to say... the unintentional typo's only made it better. :)b

A bit of constructive feedback; the only thing I like better about the Integra cup holder compared to this, is that with the Teg cup holder you don't have the exposed edges like you do with this one. Personally, I think that makes this appear more "customized" than the Teg. Could you have trimmed the cup holder and installed it from the rear, rather than trimming the CRX center console? Or would there have been gaps?

Nice job though. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
keastland said:
Very nice!

I don't usually mention this type of thing, but I have to say... the unintentional typo's only made it better. :)b

A bit of constructive feedback; the only thing I like better about the Integra cup holder compared to this, is that with the Teg cup holder you don't have the exposed edges like you do with this one. Personally, I think that makes this appear more "customized" than the Teg. Could you have trimmed the cup holder and installed it from the rear, rather than trimming the CRX center console? Or would there have been gaps?

Nice job though. Thanks for sharing.
I thought of that, but there would be small gaps on the sides, and you would still have to cut the CRX's radio console, and it would of being a lot more work, i will when i dont have so much hw, try to blend it in and fill in the gaps and do lots of sanding then a quick paint job... eventually... thanks for the feed back
and as of the typo's i was to exited that i just wrote quick, and when i went back to read it (once posted) lol i felt like a 'tard! :eatfly:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jee-F said:
Good work, any chance an iphone fits that big pad?
If you are talking abouth the little space on the left side of the coin holder, then no unfortunely, i just checked it out. That would of being cool.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Nice write-up :)b
and Cwap ! where do you get em for $7 ? i pad $20 for mine on ebay :( :doh:
I just installed one of these too. no pics yet :(
Nice idea to leave the side ears attached :)b
I didn't do that .. i just JB welded it to the frame and it seems strong

One thing i did differently was to glue the top part where it bows in the middle.
I stacked pennies in each crack from top to bottom while the super glue dried.

also, i do a lot of fabricating so , i went with no template.
I just decided where my "low line" would be and cut that first.

and just so everyone knows, he make's this look easy .. lol
it's pretty nerve wracking , once you get the big hole and start filing the whole unit is really fragile and one mis-cut with a dremmel and your done for :shock:

I used a large dremmel wheel about the size of one dollar coin on the lowest speed.
Worked much better than the ones i use for metal, which are smaller & thinner & more fragile. finished the lines with hand files.

ALSO: did you cut those ear's off the back ?
i cut the top one's and it seemed to work , but after i got it all screwed down i noticed the left side of the cup holder is just "barely" and i mean barely touching that cross brace in the center console ( on the left / DS ) there is a "dip up" on the right side and it clears.
I'm just gonna stick a file or a soldering iron up there and knock that top off and it'll be fine.
For now i just have to reach back and pull it down to get it to close , sometimes .. not always.

My install looks great , but .. right after i got this cup holder, i got a BETTER ONE .. totally mint , so .. ack .. i'll probably sell this one i have already made up and buy another radio bezel for this mint one .. kinda not looking forward to it .. haha maybe i'll try the hot knife this time and it'll be easier .. :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
I truly think this is the ideal cup holder for a CRX. The only thing that would make it better is if somebody figures out how to get it to be flush-mounted without an insane amount of custom fabrication, paint, or fiberglass work.

I turned my blue center arm rest into a cup holder. :)b

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
EF RaceRR said:
I truly think this is the ideal cup holder for a CRX. The only thing that would make it better is if somebody figures out how to get it to be flush-mounted without an insane amount of custom fabrication, paint, or fiberglass work.

I turned my blue center arm rest into a cup holder. :)b
Well i don't know that "ideal" is accurate.
When installed it kind of sits at an angle and a lot of cups don't fit in the hole.
would be nice if a small gatorade or vitamin water would fit there.
If you have a radio above it, you pretty much need a cup with a lid ;)

other than that .. yup .. ideal :)

ALSO: a "blue" arm rest ? where-d-ya get that ? is it EK ? i thought they were all black or grey.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Tian90crx said:
righteous dude righteous :D
haha good job man, bookemarked!
also the blue arm rest, can be from the EK, also you can easily change the cover..
i used an old pleather jacket and overlayed it on top and now i gots me a "leather" ek arm rest! :p
I looked on ebay for about 2 months and every EK arm rest i saw was either black or grey. :(
I'd be willing to trade my "cut" arm rest for a blue un-cut one. ;)

We also plan to put some "pleather" on the arm rest. We didn't really plan all the black with white honda logo theme in our ReX, it just happened .. lol .. so we're looking for pleather with a the Honda H logo on it .. OR .. take it to the mall and let the hat ebroidery dude make one from fabric shop / new material. .. OR .. one of the iron on patches from ebay .. ( last resort but .. seems easiest too )

I think i have pics of our cupholder, i'm charging my camera battery now to check ..
if not .. we'll update our main thread soon and i'll link the photos ..

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Lil bit a pic'z :) ..
Just need to fill those holes n paint em ..
We plan to have a 7" DVD / GPS in there soon so .. no real rush to fill the holes ..
Lots of other stuff to do :( .. :)

100_6483 by jeffwilliamsusa, on Flickr

Reluctantly posting this one cuz it shows my snaggle tooth AC vent :( .. haha
It's a good photo to show top part glued straight.
See how the penny / super glue trick made all the gaps even and took the bow out of the top :)

100_6482 by jeffwilliamsusa, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
3llon said:
sab0rlatin0 said:
Thanks bro.
HEY everyone if you do it post your Pics up with the finish material!
nice write up.
next is a write up on climate control fix :)b
Climate Control Repair Guide :mrgreen:

1-clean broken parts
2-glue broken parts
3-tape off buttons
4-paint w/ duplicolor ..
done .. haha ;)

You need to decide if you want to be able to remove / replace the temp control knob.
I did it this way .. IF You do .. you have to be sure to get EVERY little bit of excess off because that control knob is a TIGHT fit ..
if you don't care if the knob is replace-able
.. just glue the crap out of it , super glue to place parts , JB Weld for finishing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
JeffWilliamsUSA said:
Lil bit a pic'z :) ..
Just need to fill those holes n paint em ..
We plan to have a 7" DVD / GPS in there soon so .. no real rush to fill the holes ..
Lots of other stuff to do :( .. :)

100_6483 by jeffwilliamsusa, on Flickr

Reluctantly posting this one cuz it shows my snaggle tooth AC vent :( .. haha
It's a good photo to show top part glued straight.
See how the penny / super glue trick made all the gaps even and took the bow out of the top :)

100_6482 by jeffwilliamsusa, on Flickr
Wow that looks nice!!!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.