Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I left work today I had a message from my mom. She had gone to the Honda dealer to look at the new CRV. She said that while she was there she mentioned my car, or something, and the salesman said they were going to be coming out with a new crx model in the near future.

Has anyone else caught wind of this? I'm skeptical at best.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just looked at the date, i guess that is old news.
OK, i'm still skeptical.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I have an article from Automobile magazine from 1993 that states that Honda wasn't happy with the Del Sol's sales and were going to bring back the CRX in '94 or '95. While they correctly called the Del Sol's demise there was no new CRX. Every few years the rumor goes around the auto universe that Honda's bringing back the CRX. Exactly how many times has "The new CRX" or something similar been posted with pictures of that photoshopped Insight or the silver '06 Civic Si (see the link above)?

The CRX isn't coming back anymore than the Del Sol or a chain driven S600 is......

Can you imagine if they did bring it back? First it would weigh far closer to 3,000 lb. than 2,000 lbs. So much for it's nimble, fun to drive qualities. The base model would cost in the low to mid $20's and the Si would cost at least $25K. Expensive, overweigtht.....why not just buy a new Si?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry guys/gals (are there any women on here???). I was just curious because my mom actually heard that rom a dealer. But like I said I was skeptical. I have also heard the rumors over the past few years, the ones that never become truth.
I think that if honda wanted to they could make a crx semi affordable and fairly lightweight if it was really a priority to them. Looka t the miata, it weighs what? about 2300, thats not too bad for having to pass more rigorous safety standards and have extra crap like airbags, etc. PLus those things can always be removed by the enthusiast.
However i do think the reality of the situation is that no crx will be coming back. IF it did, it wouldn't make sense to build it on the bloated civic platform anyway. makes much more sense to build it on a fit chassis. But who is really looking for a semi-sporty, 2-seater, 3-door fit that gets 40mpg these days anyway?

·
Registered
20,278 Posts
How many times have we all heard about the "new" Crx, for maybe the past 10yrs or so?
If they did bring it back it would be NOTHING like the old ones. It would just be a bad idea!
If they did for some reason bring it back, it would weigh more, have 10 air bags, ABS, power steering, and def would not be as fun, nimble or have as much character as the originals!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Scirroco and Rabbit are more closely related to the CRX...I don't see re-introduced early 70s American muscle cars (Charger/Challenger) as having much to do with re-introducing 80/90s import pocket rockets or "sporty" 4cyl economy cars. Plus, I don't think Honda has given us much of an indication that they are interested doing the same thing as Chrysler, GM, or VW. If they did, however, I guess the CRX is the logical choice. What other nameplates would Honda bring back? The CRX is probably the best suited model to a retro-remake, but the question is if Honda cares to do it.

·
Registered
734 Posts
jfrolang said:
I used to work at a Honda dealership too, and I can tell you they don't know anything until a few weeks before they get the cars, and by that time the general public has known about it for months.
By that point (a few weeks from getting cars), it's far beyond rumors and spy shots in major car mags (which can show up a couple of YEARS in advance). At a few weeks out, it's been months since journalists first drove the cars and the first press releases came out, and car mags are hitting the shelves with full reviews of the cars...it's scary if dealerships are that clueless.

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
Yes, they are that clueless. The dealerships might know the car is coming in the next 2 or 3 months tops. They have no official details until a few weeks out. From Honda's point of view, the dealers don't need to know anything about a car they can't yet sell or service, and dealers could never be trusted to keep secrets anyway.

I've never sold cars, but my experience with most salesmen (at any dealer) is that they don't care to know about the cars, they just want you to buy one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i think all them pictures of the ""new"" crx are ugly.. il stay with my car then get that one.. and if they do make another one i would buy it if they just changed the headlights to a 92-95 civic.. and have more different tail lights to choose from.. they shoud have after marked smoked tail lights.. thats what i want.. smoked tail lights..

·
Registered
428 Posts
I think the source at Autoweek mistook GRX for CRX. The GRX was a concept at last years Autoshow.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.