Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started figuring out my power accessories installation today. I've got power mirrors, windows and door locks from a 4-door civic lx (maybe accord, I don't really know, Tom help me out). All of these require some modification of harware, and running new wiring.

First is the hardware prep:

Mirrors - Nearly done. You have to swap over the mirror part from the civic, onto the mount side from the CRX, joining them at the hinged section. It is pretty easy to do, and there is a write up on honda-tech if you need some guidance.

Windows - Swapped the CRX rail on to the civic power mechanism for each side and they are good to go.

Locks - When I sit in the driver's seat and stretch out my arm, it is less than a foot away from the passenger lock switch. Makes power locks seem senseless, I agree. However putting in electric switches allows me to add on keyless entry in the future. The locks are at a standstill because I have gotten mixed info. The door latches from my 91 Si have a different baseplate than the civic power latches + motor. One guy's write-up regarding the latch conversion shows his "crx/hatch" latches to have an identical baseplate to the 4-door latches. This makes his conversion much easier. i am thinking that maybe the 90-91 had a newer style latch or something? Or maybe he was using a civic hatchback latch that is actually a different part than the crx latch. I was planning on modifying the latches I have (and it would still be quite easy) but for now I'll wait to find out more information. One thing I noted along the way is that the 4-door latch + motor will not fit into a 90-91 door that has the beam in it, unless of course you cut a section of the beam out.

Second, is actuation/controls:

Mirrors: Stock electronic actuator. I'm using the stock mirror adjuster switch which mounts perfectly into the square space in the CRX dash, just to the right of the steering wheel.

Windows: Unfortunately I do not have stock CRX power window switches for the doors. Other people have said that they've used switches from predules. What I have got is the four switch gang box out of the 4-door. it usually mounts on the iside door handle in the civic. I have decided to use the 4 switch box, mount it in the center console area and use the top two switches for the windows, and the bottom two for the door locks. Which brings me to the next section...

Locks: I wanted to retain the manual locking mechanism as a safety measure. All cars, even with power locks, still have a manual actuator*. So as I said above the lower two switches on the gang box will be wired up to control the locks.

* I did think about using two 4-door interior door latch actuator cups with window switches in the fron of them (where the CRX lock mechanism is now) and rewire them to be lock switches. Then I could eliminate one of the bars going across the inner door, making it harder to break into. But somehow I think i've decided against that route for now.

Third is wiring in all this new stuff:

I want the harnesses to look as clean as possible. I'm not a fan of loose and randomly run wires everywhere. So I'm rerouting wires and I'll make a seperate little harness that wires up both doors and connects to the switches on the dash and console, and to the fuse box. I'm going to use the stock honda relay for the windows. it is the same type as is used for the sunroof. I'll also mount the door lock contrl box behind the dash under where the radio sits to keep things organized. I've got some door connectors from a 4-door on their way because they have a ton more pin slots than the crx connectors but are still the same size around the perimeter.

Here are a couple of bad pictures of the way I'm tentatively mounting the switches:

Sorry about the pictures, i know they are horrible. I'll hopefully do a little writeup and post my modified wiring diagrams in the next couple of weeks so that other people will have some insight if they should want to do any of these swaps.

Cheers.

EDIT: I am not longer using these silly switches!

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ah, I just realized that I am an idiot. I don't need these additional switches for the door locks because the lock system doesn't even incorporate individual lock switches for other doors. I could just use the existing interior door lock as the main switch.
:oops:

Hmph.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
Looking forward to your write up man, I want to use some power locks with the alarm from the red car, and eliminate the manual mechanism completely. For your safety measure, use the hatch ;) And in answer to your question, They came from a 4 door EF sedan, 90 or 91 (don't know which). I'm looking forward to seeing some of this stuff in action, maybe this week?

·
Registered
20,330 Posts
GL with this upgrade. I wouldn't mind if the car already came like that, but too much work to convert it for me. I'm fom the old school, I'm not going to rely on power locks, mirrors, and ESPECIALLY windows. Nice when they work but a headache i don't need when they DON"T work. (had enough headaches with my Accord windows!)

The car is small and i am big enough so i am able to work all that manually. :D

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So a year later I'm picking up this project again. I've started going through the electrical schematics to deisgn simple add-on wiring harnesses that will integrate some of the JDM-EDM-UKDM CRX power accessories to our non-power acc USDM CRXs.
This information will apply specifically to adding:

STAGE 1
A) Power Windows
- EF Sedan Actuators (Similar to EDM CRX)
- EDM CRX Switches + Control Unit
B) Power Door Mirrors
- EDM CRX Actuators
- EF Sedan Switch (Identical to EDM CRX)

STAGE 2
C) Power Door Locks
- EF Sedan Actuators
- CRX Machanical Switches
- EF Sedan Switch
- EF Sedan door harness connector plug/socket
D) Keyless Entry
- EF Sedan Rear Outer Handles
- Details unknown as of yet

I will be doing the Windows and the Mirrors first as they are the easiest to adapt. Then I will be adding the Locks and Keyless Entry because I've still got to sort out the desired functionality of the system switches.

So far I've got some details of the add-on under-dash harness using existing and stock Honda plugs and components. I'll scan in my notes and my schematics in a bit once I scan them.

·
Registered
20,330 Posts
jmart said:
So a year later I'm picking up this project again.
STAGE 2
C) Power Door Locks
- EF Sedan Actuators
- CRX Machanical Switches
- EF Sedan Switch
D) Keyless Entry
- EF Sedan Rear Outer Handles
- Details unknown as of yet
I forgot completetly about this.
Looking forward to a great writeup. The only thing that worries me about the keyless rear sedan handles, is just that, they are keyless therfore what's the failsafe if the power keyless entry fails?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the hatch?

actually I've got this debate ongoing in my head already. Not totally sure what I'll go with in the end. But either way its a simple mechanical interface which can be detached or reattached at an time if i change my mind.

my plan is to do as much prep as i can right now, and then do the install when i'm at home for christmas/new years. so i wont have the final write-up and picture until after that.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is a pic of the wiring diagram so far. I''ve got to update a couple details on the door lock wires and i'll revise and update the pic.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah, i just drew it up in autocad real quick because i'm a just a big tool like that.
Plus I want the harness to integrate into the existing plugs and look nice and clean.

Also, can someone take a close up picture of the inside of the door around where the inner latch + lock switch bracket mounts? Without the door panel on.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm looking into the keyless entry systems, and alarm systems while I'm at it. I've discovered that Directed Electronics make many of the popular brands like viper and clifford.

I've been looking for a simple, basic keyless entry system to round out the power accessories I'm installing. But now I'm wondering if I should install a basic alarm while I'm at it. Do you guys think an alarm is really beneficial?

Also, can anyone who has installed one of these systems before advise me as to whether or not they come with wiring schematics? I'd like to get these ahead of time to see how I might incorporate it into my add-on harness.

EDIT: Don't respond about alarms here, instead go here: http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=11087

·
Registered
525 Posts
An alarm is great, assuming; 1) you install it so the theif cant get to it, 2) it has backup systems so disconnecting the battery and/or cutting the siren dont kill the alarm, 2) you take the time to adjust the sensors so that it isnt going off all the time, because thieves will purposely set off your alarm all night to get you to disable it, and then steal your ride.

Also, keep in mind that an alarm helps, but there are other things you can do.. Car security is a whole system, you know? Just like computer security, leave a hole somewhere and they will find it..

When i install my alarm, im also going to disconnect/cover the locking bars in the doors, because it is WAY too easy for a thief to unlock your door. I also plan on putting on door handles with no keyholes, and using my remote as the only way to unlock the door. If the battery dies, i'll have another way to get in ;) Or just climb through the hatch. Also, look in to re-routing your hood release cable.

Probably a bit more than you wanted, but its all worth looking in to =]

Here is a good thread about alarm installation.

Honda-tech also has a lot of good car security stuff. Search around for the things I mentioned =]

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, its been nearly a year since I first hatch my master power accessories plan.

I've got all the hardware and electrical components that I believe I need, so I have started to fit a few things. Yesterday I took off the door panels and massaged a set of ukdm power window controls to work on the opposite doors. It actually wasn't hard at all. Dremel off a few bits on the brackets, drill a new hole, and install a nylon spacer. If I have the energy I'll post a little how-to later on when I modify my second set of brackets and controls.

I have a black and a gray set. not sure which I'll use yet.

I've started looking at my wiring diagrams again, and I'm only troubled by the fact that I'm trying to put 18 wires into the driver's side door. I need to look at the door connectors I've got again, but I'm not sure I have enough pins. :-/

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
jmart said:
I've started looking at my wiring diagrams again, and I'm only troubled by the fact that I'm trying to put 18 wires into the driver's side door. I need to look at the door connectors I've got again, but I'm not sure I have enough pins. :-/
I count 19 on mine.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Nice job on flipping the UK switches around! I'm working on power windows as well, and should have all of the parts soon!

Just have to wire it up OEM style.... :shudder: :)

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
Bringing up an old thread.

I have EDM crx power window regulators, switches and door wiring harnesses for them.

I'm planning to pick up the bulkhead connectors for the doors from an EX sedan, do I need anything else? what is this control box I'm reading about?

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
The only control box I've seen referenced was in a '88-91 Prelude manual... Evidently, it goes with power window switches that have both auto down and auto up functions.

FYI, you can get the big bulkhead connectors from LX sedans as well... Any model that has factory power windows should have them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.