Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the points on my car I was happy about when I bought it was that the seats fabric was not ripped like so many rexes. However, now that I have had it for a bit, I've noticed the foam or whatnot that is in the seat is "evaporating" so to speak, especially in the side bolsters on the drivers seat. The fabric is still great though.

Is this sort of thing affecting you guys? Is it unable to be stopped? I'm guessing my only choice is down the road I will have to get the seat "re-stuffed" and the fabric sewn back over it...?? Help!! My seat hates me! :evil:

·
Administrator
16,562 Posts
This is a common problem and there isn't much you can do about it except have it reupholstered. My original dx seats wore through the fabric first, and then the exposed foam started falling apart. The Si seats I bought to replace them were in your condition, the foam was deteriorating beneath a flawless cloth cover.

Fortunately, the passenger seat is usually perfect, so you can try to swap the seatbacks, or do as I did: make a mold of the left bolster on the pass. seat, and have the foam rebuilt on the driver's seat. It ended up being a very expensive project for me since I went with custom leather and suede covers and heated seat panels at the same time, but it shouldn't be too much for just the foam.

·
Registered
20,278 Posts
Typical problem for the all Hondas, more notably 88-91 Civic/Crx's.
My '91 Si seats are in decent shape, but are starting to wear on the dirver side.
So i found another decent set of '91 Si seats and bought them. I'm gonna take the passenger side foam and cover from the "new" seats i bought and use it to recover my old driver side.
Almost like new Si seats. :lol:

downest said:
Blkjag did it on my old car, the seats were the same. He used Civic Si seat foam, worked out pretty well.
^^^^ like he said.. you can use foam from the 88-91 Civic hatchback.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool, thanks for your input, i guess i should get my hands on some civic hatch seats to get foam from them.

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
FWIW, the civic foam is slightly different than the CRX foam. Jareds seats look perfectly fine, but the driver's seat sits up higher than it used to, and the bolsters seem to hug a lot tighter. CRX DX seat foam might be a better match, since they are a LOT easier to find than civic Si seats.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thx again for the info. seat replace / rebuild is on the list. (the list just keeps getting longer......!!!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.