Honda CRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so im new here.
I came here cause this looks like a pretty cool forum for CRX and I have somethin to ask.
My neighbor has a CRX sitting at house house right across the street.
It comes with 2 bumbers ( none of which are on right now)
The stock exhaust isnt on (but he has it) its soo loud right now cause theres nothing on it.
The ignition turns on with a screwdriver
and the car needs some bodywork.. just a lil bit here and there
the door snaps when u open it and some parts are a lil out of place.
The interior of the car is all gutted out, theres nothing in the back its just a hard metal floor.. its the most lightest car i've ever been in.
The rpm gauge doesnt work ( i dunno why)
He'll sell it to me for 400 dollars.

Now, im a college student at a community college where I live. ( living at home still.. so no living expenses right now.)
And I'm about to get a job soon. I don't know terribly much about cars but me and my friend are really interested in getting this CRX cleaned up and getting more horses into it. My friend cory, and his older brother know a lot about cars and I'm thinkin about buying it and having them help me tweak the engine and put mods on it and soup it up some and clean it up.
They already said yea that they want to help me.

I have a weak ass saturn SL1 right now, and nothing else.
Im looking to save up all my money i get from my job and buy a new car before I do anything else. And my friend suggested we get the CRX and dump some money into it. He figures the money we dump into the CRX to clean and soup it up will be just as good as using the money I'll be saving up to get a new car and the CRX will be faster.

The way I see it... Is ill get some experience with working on cars and stuff so I'll know more about it, i'll have a fast car when I'm done and It will prolly be as expensive or less expensive than just buying a new car.

I've been online looking at CRX stuff and specs and a bunch of stuff just so i knwo what im doing and talking about.. but i am interested in doing this.

what do you guys think?

I'd prolly be on these forums a lot. Cause i join forums for whatever I do.
Cause i hate being uninformed or mediocre at stuff I like.

would u guys support me? or would u just bash me.. cause im a n00b.
( theres always the basher people in forums... sigh)

EDIT: ohh and sorry its a CRX 89 with a DX in it ( he said its a dx)
and its got an intake on it, not sure what kind.

·
Administrator
16,557 Posts
You should definitely buy it, it sounds like it'll be a fun project. We'll definitely help you out along the way, working out the inevitable issues and helping you get the best bang for your buck. Don't worry about haters, that's not what this site is about, we try to minimize that as much as possible.

Oh yeah, welcome. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
=)
I'm glad to hear that.
Oh and the car also has a new racing clutch, a short shifter

I'm getting more and more used to the idea of this and I'm liking it.
But I still have some questions I need answered so my head can be clear about it.

How much money would it take, and what could I do to get a good amount of hp for my car. ( whats a pretty good amount of hp for a crx?)
What engine should I use? Can I swap one in and pass smog?
What things can I do to get the maximum hp for my car?
I don't want a really attention catching exhaust, in fact I want a quiet or normal sounding one. I don't want a really loud one, but my first concern is horsepower. What should I do exhaust-wise?
I don't wanna sound dumb or anything, but the accerator jumps on it SOOO quick.. It's like all or nothing on this gas pedal. Is there any way to make this more smoother? Or am I dumb for even asking that.
Power steering: this car doesnt have it. My friend says you can just add some power steering fluid to it and its all good? That sounds kinda out of whack.. Whats up with CRX's and power steering? Is my friend right?

That's all my questions for right now.. I'm rlly sorry about asking things that have already been answered elsewhere, but i just figured a knowledgable person could just blow through these questions for me really quick and i have to go to bed right now so i cant browse through the forum. Just wanted to get this off my chest. Im way tired.

·
Registered
820 Posts
$400 and it runs what are you waiting for buy that sucker up. everyone starts out a somwhere and its best to buy one that is a little beat up and fix it up you will deffinately have more apreciation for what honda did when they put this car out. and i think the general thing here is to each his own we wont get down on you(or at least not bad) if your interested in maybe doing some ricey mods or something most of us have thought about it or done it. but hey you get the car and stay around im sure we can take care of you

·
Administrator
16,557 Posts
How much money you need to spend is hugely variational. I really can't even estimate it. Let us know what your goals are for this car.

A 'good' hp level is dependant on how fast you want to go, and the weight of the car plays a factor here too. If you're going to leave it stripped, you might be satisfied with 130 or so hp, or you could be like Bart and want 200+ hp in the lightest car you can get. I'm happy right now at ~170 hp with a full interior and sound system. It's good for high 14s on the quarter, or should be anyway.

There are really quite a few options in the way of engine swaps, and as long as you're not in Cali, most of them are easily smoggable. Downest is putting together a swap article, it's still in prototype stage but it's a sticky in the modification forum.

Maximum hp is relative. The most I would want in a streetable car is probably 250. I drove Jonny Black's car about 2 weeks ago, he's in the 250-260 range, and I really wouldn't want any more than that at all. It's very fast for road use. For a drag-only car you could see 400 or 500, but that's hardly cheap. Reliability becomes an issue at those levels too.

I think that any of the brand-name off the shelf catback exhausts sound great. These have prices that are occasionally scoffed at however. I paid $480 for my DC Sports. Thermal R&D and GReddy make exhausts in this range too. A custom exhaust from a local shop can still sound real good if you use a few resonators, and it'll be a bunch cheaper.

I've never heard anyone say the throttle is too sensitive on our cars. You can adjust the throttle cable, but I don't know if that would fix it for you. the dx engine you have needs to go though, so don't worry about it too much. :p

Honda didn't offer power steering on the CRX on this continent, and I think almost all of us prefer it that way. It is true that you can retrofit it from an 88-91 Civic, but you honestly don't need it. Adding power steering fluid won't help, because there's nowhere to put it. :lol:

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
jfrolang said:
I've never heard anyone say the throttle is too sensitive on our cars. You can adjust the throttle cable, but I don't know if that would fix it for you. the dx engine you have needs to go though, so don't worry about it too much. :p
He said it has a "racing clutch", which might mean it's got a lightweight flywheel. That would make it touchier, and it would seem jumpy with an upgraded clutch/PP too because of the quick engagement. I have an ACT Streetlite (~12lbs) and my throttle response is damn quick, I know my friends have driven it and thought it was really touchy... I can't really imagine an ~8 lb flywheel being any better!

·
Registered
820 Posts
about the touchyness of the accelerator, how much experiance do you have behind the wheel of a manual? and have you ever other than this crx driven a car with a racing clutch? this could be a major factor in the smoothness of the pickup the thing is here that a racing clutch will give you a tighter grasp quicker so that your not wasting any power it can be hard to smoothly shift with a racing clutch but if you play with it a bit im sure you can pick it up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Zerocool1014a: Yea. I slept on it, and I think im gonna buy it. And yea, I'll definately be around here. Yea ricey mods is what I'm lookin for.

jfrolag: ( I live in cali..)My goals are simple- use the money that I would have used to buy a new car, and dump it into souping and cleaning up his CRX with some pretty nice horsepower so I can jump on it when I want to and cruise around in a nice looking car. I mean, when I get this car it's gonna be my baby. I'm gonna do whats best for my car and I'm gonna want it to be nice.
The questions I asked earlier about horsepower were kinda to get a feel for this car and what's a lot and whats not. I think 200 would be totally enough for me if not even more. It sounds like 170 would be totally sufficient probably. I want to cruise around in style, but when I want to get that thing moving I want it to move. I'm ok with not being the fastest, but I do wanna go fast. And to let you guys know where Im coming from, heres some of my driving history:
I drive a Saturn SL1 its nothing special very slow (automatic)
I drive my mom's Crystler C300 SRT sometimes. That thing's a beast- 425 horsepower stock. It's automatic/manual and i've driven it it manual a handful of times. Fastest car I've ever been in.
So I have driven manual before, in that car... Driven dirtbikes and quads and go-karts that were manual. Im a n00b an manual really, but i get the mechanics of it pretty well and I can get the hang of it for the CRX I'm sure.
So that answers the question of why I think it's touchy and jumpy prolly.

Ok i think i got all the responses down

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
whoa i've never heard of any of those codes and stuff...
eek... my friend can hook me up with an LS engine through his cuz ($250), he says 140hp stock.
can i get that engine legal in the crx?
If not, what else could i drop in it?

It don't think theres any rust no.
why do you ask?

I could take a bunch of pix of it

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
haha me too.. meeee too..

ok so.. the plan so far:

******CRX*******

-Restoring Interior

*clean up the interior of the car
*Fix the seats ( or get new ones, what do u guys think?)
*Fix the RPM gauge
*Fix the ignition
*Make the back cargo area not look so ugly (get some carpeting done or something)

-Performance

*dropping in an LS engine
*new exhaust
*new intake
*polishing the headers ( no idea how to do that.. my friend said it adds hp though)
*put a on a turbo
*new suspension ( the setup the owner has on it now seems kinda sketchy for some reason..)
-he said something about flipping the springs around, or upside down or something, i guess i didnt hear him
- and i dont wanna be one of those ppl who mess their car up on speedbumps

-Asthetics

*fix the body dings and warps
*new paint job (nothing fancy, just to make it look clean and more new)
*New rims
*new tail lights maybe

So yea. That's on my to-do list right now.

Questions and comments about that? I'd like to hear what ppl with more knowledge about this have to say and suggest, or say no to.

·
Registered
551 Posts
id go b16 or b18c5. if you got the extra cash but you said you dont have the expences but you could save up. look on passwordjdm.com
inlinefour.com
jdm****.com
hmotorsonline.com

there are many different things you could look at for power gains
just basic will give you some depending on brands and stuff!!!!!! thats my openion good luck man

and welcome......i am sorta a noob axually still am..... and i dont think i have gave anyone a pics of my car yet

·
Registered
914 Posts
hybridvirusss said:
*polishing the headers ( no idea how to do that.. my friend said it adds hp though)
Your friend probably meant polish the head. What that dose is allow the air/fuel mixture to flow through the head easier. Less work for the engine and taking in more air = more HP.

BTW welcome to the form. I think everyone will agree that everyones a noob once and this is probably the best place to expand your knowledge on these cars. There are people here who have done/know how to do basically anything that the CRX your looking at would need. Good luck with everything. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

One more thing...How much are you planing on spending on this car. Knowing what price range you have to work with will help determine what you can do at this point.

·
Administrator
16,557 Posts
My thoughts on your list:

-Get new seats.
-What's wrong with the ignition?
-Get the factory pieces for the rear interior, and a black door panel too.
-Polishing headers? The only way that would give you more power is if you do it on the inside, which would be terribly difficult. You only have one header too. :p So go with an aftermarket header on the B18 you're putting in and you'll be set.
-If you're going turbo you won't need a header, polished or otherwise. I assume that's a more long-term goal though.
-Go with all new suspension, you'll be happier. Downest has an excellent suspension sticky in the modification forum.
-the only new taillights you should get is the 90-91 factory lights. Aftermarket tails are junk.
-It looks like you've got cruise control in there. Personally, I'd yank it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok just so everyone knows... Im going to use the money that i WOULD be saving up for a new car to get this CRX cleaned and souped up..
So in effect, this will be my new car when it's all done.
so, I'm thinking like what... Iuno more than a few grand.
I don't know how much exactly. Whatever it takes to complete my list of to-do's. My friend said I'll prolly be looking 4-5k to do what I want to it.
And I was fine with that. I'm just living at my house right now with my mom, I'm not gonna move out until I get a good car. And I've decided that I'm gonna get a job and use my money soley on getting this car made up, before i use my money on anything else. This is because I love cars, but my family was never mechanically inclined and I never was exposed to any of this stuff. And I would enjoy doing this project for experience and knowledge. All i know from cars is from tv shows, guy car talk, videogames and reading stuff on the internet (which i just started)

I mean I'm gonna wanna keep this car for a long time. So I want it to kick ass and look good in the process.

-The key is in the ignition but i doesn't work and he has some crazy setup to turn on his car with a scredriver... so i have no idea what the hell is up there.

-So the LS is a B18?(not sure what that means) but I could either go header or turbo on it, not both at the same time.
So my question is: which setup is more bang for the buck?

-yank the cruise control. why would i do this. robs hp? or what.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.